Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Jazz Bass Wanted

Post by Slowy »

Our brilliant Bass player is a fairly little fella. He plays a Musicman Stingray and has it in his hands on average 2 hours every day. He's looking for a narrower neck and lighter weight, the Jazz being pretty much the dimensions he's after. Budget is moderate; a Mexi version is most likely.

Anyone holding?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Re: Jazz Bass Wanted

Post by crowbgood1 »

The neck on the Lakland PJ's fit the bill.

He'd never need to look at another bass.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

crowbgood1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am The neck on the Lakland PJ's fit the bill.

He knows Laklands and agrees.
The price however.....
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:26 am
crowbgood1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am The neck on the Lakland PJ's fit the bill.

He knows Laklands and agrees.
The price however.....
I looked around for a couple of years for a Fender P. I was always put off by the second hand prices. I played a few of the new MIM ones at Music Works and they were ok, but I think I would have spent an extra few hundred in pickups and strings.

Good luck, and I will keep an eye out for anything local.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

There’s a couple of decent jazz basses on the TM this weekend. If he’s a proper wee man, the mustang basses or a 3/4 scale like a stu hamm fender may be ideal.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Kev77 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 pm There’s a couple of decent jazz basses on the TM this weekend. If he’s a proper wee man, the mustang basses or a 3/4 scale like a stu hamm fender may be ideal.
He's not that small but the Stingray is a hefty beast. I'd get pretty tired of it after a 3 hour gig.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I do prefer a 'p' over a 'j' but that's not to say I'm not 'a ok'with a 'j'...ok?

Ive only owned one J bass..it was an avri. It was good but not great. The neck (particularly the nut) was definitely too slim for my liking but sounds perfect for prince or Danny D'Vito or what ever circus midget you've drugged and kidnapped.

I think mexi or 2nd hand USA is the best option. Still both fairly 'big' feeling basses mind...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:44 pm I do prefer a 'p' over a 'j' but that's not to say I'm not 'a ok'with a 'j'...ok?

Ive only owned one J bass..it was an avri. It was good but not great. The neck (particularly the nut) was definitely too slim for my liking but sounds perfect for prince or Danny D'Vito or what ever circus midget you've drugged and kidnapped.

I think mexi or 2nd hand USA is the best option. Still both fairly 'big' feeling basses mind...
"... what ever circus midget you've drugged and kidnapped...."

Thank you for the addition to the Band lexicon!
You'll always be in on the injoke. :D

Edit:
And the man will do absolutely anything for a cuppa tea; loves the stuff.
Coincidentally, our singer is a good tea maker.

This just gets better. :rofl:

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Keep an eye for an MIJ Jazz too. My Jazz is MIJ, it’s the most comfortable neck I have played. Think the body is basswood and it’s reasonably light. Used at every gig I’ve played bass at since I got it in 95, never given me back or shoulder pain like my LP does.

I put a new bridge and pickups in it, originals may have been fine, but it was when this place had just kicked off and the GAS to upgrade stuff was contagious.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Slowy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:25 pm
Kev77 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 pm There’s a couple of decent jazz basses on the TM this weekend. If he’s a proper wee man, the mustang basses or a 3/4 scale like a stu hamm fender may be ideal.
He's not that small but the Stingray is a hefty beast. I'd get pretty tired of it after a 3 hour gig.
Boy, I know the feeling.
I did a 3 hour gig with my Stingray on a St Pat's gig on Friday. Last set I was really feeling the weight of the beasty.
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Small hands, get a Dano, save your hands. back and bank balance.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I’ve got an MIM Jazz bass that’s hardly used.
Gimme a call if interested.