Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Explain me Kemper (and now, AXE FX)

Post by The Scarecrow »

So, I'm keen on buying a toaster. I've traditionally been a tube guy, but about 4-5 years ago, I moved into the Katana and never looked back. Used a Kemper generated profile for last recording and was really impressed with what I found.

I know there's a plethora of info on the webs, but I'd really be keen to hear from the forumites who've got first hand experience.

I don't want the rabbit-hole deep-dive of a Fractal, and the Kemper seems to be a bit more intuitive/easier to navigate. Basically, I'm a set and forget type of guy, but I'd like to be able to have the ability to have one setup I can use at home, on stage and in the studio.

I'd be looking at the powered version to save myself the hassle of extra gear. I don't want to go to huge rack style setup.

Gimme your 2c.
Last edited by The Scarecrow on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Explain me Kemper

Post by griff »

Bought mine a few months back. I love it. I only use it for the cover band I'm in straight to PA with IEMs for monitoring. Best FOH sound I've ever had, even over load box and FM3.

- Don't get caught up in the great profile search. If you're serious, spend some money on Michael Britt presets or similar, they're volume matched and designed for live use. Choose a few that need minimal tweaking and stick with them. (There are great profiles on rig exchange, it just takes some searching)

- Trial your tones through a generic PA of some sort so they translate well from venue to venue. Profiles that sounded good to me through my headphones really didn't work well through our PA

- I don't really like the sound of profiles with cab Sims turned off going through power amp and cab. Some do, but not me. So it's just EIMs or foldbacks at gigs for me.

- When tweaking, use small tweaks on the dials or can start to sound a bit unnatural. So try and find profiles that are very close to how you want them to sound.
The built in overdrives and FX are excellent.

Can't think of anything else. Awesome units but still pricey. Plenty of people saying they will vanish because of ToneX but I don't agree. The Kemper still sounds like a mic'd up tube amp however way you look at it, it's just 3 X the cost., but does a LOT.
Last edited by griff on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

griff wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 am Bought mine a few months back. I love it. I only use it for the cover band I'm in straight to PA with IEMs for monitoring. Best FOH sound I've ever had, even over load box and FM3.

- Don't get caught up in the great profile search. If you're serious, spend some money on Michael Britt presets or similar, they're volume matched and designed for live use. Choose a few that need minimal tweaking and stick with them. (There are great profiles on rig exchange, it just takes some searching)

- Trial your tones through a generic PA of some sort so they translate well from venue to venue. Profiles that sounded good to me through my headphones really didn't work well through our PA

- I don't really like the sound of profiles with cab Sims turned off going through power amp and cab. Some do, but not me. So it's just EIMs or foldbacks at gigs for me.

- When tweaking, use small tweaks on the dials or can start to sound a bit unnatural. So try and find profiles that are very close to how you want them to sound.
The built in overdrives and FX are excellent.

Can't think of anything else. Awesome units but still pricey. Plenty of people saying they will vanish because of ToneX but I don't agree. The Kemper still sounds like a mic'd up tube amp however way you look at it, it's just 3 X the cost.
Marvelous. Much experience running straight into a guitar cab? This would be about 50% of it's use I wager.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

A little bit but but not at very high volume. It sounded a bit flat through a Powerstage 200. I've just got used to the fact that it's not an amp in the room solution for me and I'm fine with that. If you can try one out through your cab before you buy that would be the answer.
Plenty of people think they sound marvelous through a tube power amp but you've already said you want to cut back on hauling gear. The Kemper Kabinet is another option

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

But honestly, EIMs is the answer imo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I have only used the Stage version. Can't comment on any aspects of Toaster specific things, or use in live performance. I agree on the "chasing profiles" though. In my case, it ends up being "collecting profiles" (mostly when they're discounted), almost purely out of curiosity. The use of IEM (or headphones) is interesting though. I don't feel comfortable with things on my head or in my ears while playing.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

griff wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 am - Don't get caught up in the great profile search. If you're serious, spend some money on Michael Britt presets or similar, they're volume matched and designed for live use. Choose a few that need minimal tweaking and stick with them. (There are great profiles on rig exchange, it just takes some searching)
This is good advice. I have a Helix and stick to 2 or 3 Michael Britt presets, covers 95% of what I want.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

One thing to consider with the Kemper is given its age, surely they'll have a newer and more powerful unit in the works? I mean the current model came out the same time as the HD500 :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:49 am . The use of IEM (or headphones) is interesting though. I don't feel comfortable with things on my head or in my ears while playing.
Do you listen to IEMs recreationally? I have only used them live a couple of times and never felt anything other than comfortable. But I wonder if it's because they're in my ears for an hour or more each day anyway, just listening to music.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:57 am
codedog wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:49 am . The use of IEM (or headphones) is interesting though. I don't feel comfortable with things on my head or in my ears while playing.
Do you listen to IEMs recreationally? I have only used them live a couple of times and never felt anything other than comfortable. But I wonder if it's because they're in my ears for an hour or more each day anyway, just listening to music.
No, I don't. At work I rarely have the luxury of sitting at my desk, keeping to myself, and listening to music. At home I prefer to have my ears able to hear the environment too, namely my dogs barking, cats yowling/fighting, people at the gate, etc.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Lyle wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:03 am
griff wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 am - Don't get caught up in the great profile search. If you're serious, spend some money on Michael Britt presets or similar, they're volume matched and designed for live use. Choose a few that need minimal tweaking and stick with them. (There are great profiles on rig exchange, it just takes some searching)
This is good advice. I have a Helix and stick to 2 or 3 Michael Britt presets, covers 95% of what I want.
I agree. On the Kemper I end up using a Princeton for clean, and Tweed or Trainwreck for the rest, most of the time. Has not stopped me from ending up with gizillion other profiles though. Just coz...

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:38 am One thing to consider with the Kemper is given its age, surely they'll have a newer and more powerful unit in the works? I mean the current model came out the same time as the HD500 :rofl:
True, but I thought they promised lifetime support on this sort of thing.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

My money is they're not working on anything new. Can't get much better than what they've already done anyway. Improvements if any, will come in the way of algorithms/updates etc
And yeah. Lifetime warranty with all Kempers. Ya just gotta send it to Germany at your cost.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

As the long term owner and fanboy of the Kemper, I'll put in my 2c worth!

I've owned and gigged using the Kemper since 2013. I've tried various FRFR solutions at home (Mackie, then Atomic CLR) now using Redsound speakers which I believe you can get from independent music (I got them direct from Italy) to represent FOH sound, but actually I mostly use a powered Kemper Kabinet for small gig or home use. When I was seriously gigging, using IEMs was fantastic.

If I was starting again, I'd go:
- Kemper Stage plus Kemper Kabinet
- two Mission Engineering expression pedals (one for morph, the other for wah/volume so needs to be the switching one)
- IEMs for live use, tho can use the Kabinet if you wanted.

Big advantage of the Stage is the lack of need for the additional Remote. Also it has built in wifi so you can control it from your iPad (you can do this with the head/rack versions too but its messy as you need to find certain PPOE units plus a small wifi router, etc).

I wouldn't go built-in power amp unless you think you aren't going to go FRFR. I just don't think you'd find you get the benefit of it.

I've tried ALL the profiles. The one I recommend is to wait until ToneJunkie have a big sale on - they do good flash sales - and try to grab their "everything pack" for 80-90% off to make it about US$100. It has everything you could ever want!

I would not be afraid of Kemper v2. There's been no suggestion of it being a thing. The Kemper now has been upgraded with firmware so much over the last few years that I can't really see what else they'd change. But even if you spend $2k-ish on a second hand Stage, I can't see it dropping in price any time soon and you'll get a ton of use out of it.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:44 am I don't want the rabbit-hole deep-dive of a Fractal, and the Kemper seems to be a bit more intuitive/easier to navigate. Basically, I'm a set and forget type of guy, but I'd like to be able to have the ability to have one setup I can use at home, on stage and in the studio.
I am now using a Kemper Stage. Before that, I was using a Fractal AX8. On that platform I found the Austin Buddy presets to be totally amazing. I assume he has carried on producing more for newer Fractal devices.