Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Synth Chat

Post by jeremyb »

Any synth / soft synth / drum machine etc fans? just bought myself a couple of the Behringer recreations, the TD-3 (TB-303) and RD-6 (TR-606) ones, they are super cool and perfect for the kinda sounds I wanna create... starting to look into soft synths to use with my MPK Mini keyboard controller :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Synth Chat

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:26 pm Any synth / soft synth / drum machine etc fans? just bought myself a couple of the Behringer recreations, the TD-3 (TB-303) and RD-6 (TR-606) ones, they are super cool and perfect for the kinda sounds I wanna create... starting to look into soft synths to use with my MPK Mini keyboard controller :)
Lol, I have been digging synth sounds lately too. I blame Stranger Things.

A Volca (or two) is on my horizon methinks.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Having owned a skip load of decent analog synths way back when they were affordable I can thoroughly recommend the Arturia V collection. The Swedish company Propellerheads prog Reason is also very handy . They also have a software 303 which is great as it allows you to program in your filter movements etc. It's old software though so you'll need access to an old puter to run it, but thoroughly worth it...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jubbathehog
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by jubbathehog »

My brother has a Novation Bass Station analogue bass KB, which I thought sounded cool and could do some weird and funky things as well as the Flashlight bass. Propellerheads Reason that Dharmajester mentions is great too. I still use that even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I have an Alesis Micron. It's an analog modelling synth, and has some fabulous sounds, but it's an absolute piglet to program, which means I don't get as much use out of it as I'd like. The factory sounds are mostly a bit outrageous too, so they need some tweaking that I can't be bothered doing with one tine knob and screen. I'm thinking of selling my whole keyboard rig to buy one really great keyboard

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:02 pm Having owned a skip load of decent analog synths way back when they were affordable I can thoroughly recommend the Arturia V collection. The Swedish company Propellerheads prog Reason is also very handy . They also have a software 303 which is great as it allows you to program in your filter movements etc. It's old software though so you'll need access to an old puter to run it, but thoroughly worth it...
The arturia v stuff is on my list cause of the prophet vs was a big part of the NIN sound back in the day!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

If you're a Nine Inch Nails fan this is a great thread started by our very own Sam Browne! Charlie Clouser who played keys in the band for a number of years talking about gear and process etc... absolutely riveting stuff!

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... ynths.html

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Wanted to sync my RD-6 drum machine to Reaper for tempo, was really easy in the end, my interface has MIDI in and out so connected the MIDI out to the MIDI in on the RD-6, and configured the RD-6 to receive clock data on the MIDI input.

I then set the interfaces MIDI output to be enabled and send clock to it, job done now when I hit play or record in the DAW it starts whatever loop is programmed and is perfectly in sync with the DAW tempo... yay!

As soon as my other midi cable arrives I'll get the TD-3 slaved off the RD-6 so everything will be nicely in sync :-)

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I've got a couple of the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators. They are quite fun. I originally got the PO-12 Rhythm to act as a drum machine, which it does a decent job of.

The PO-20 Arcade is a different beast. Admittedly it only does Arcade-style chiptune and is locked to the key of C, but it's easy to be creative with and it scratches a massive nostalgic itch.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Madness!

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I'm not experienced or familiar with plug-ins, and software. But I've always enjoyed synths -- especially the lush analog stuff, like the Oberheims, Sequential Prophets, Roland Jupiters and Yamaha stuff of the 80's. I guess all those analog sounds are available now, via computer.

I enjoy the Nord Lead A1 that's basically shoehorned into Nord Stage 3 that I have. Brass sounds are my favorite 😍

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:01 pm I'm not experienced or familiar with plug-ins, and software. But I've always enjoyed synths -- especially the lush analog stuff, like the Oberheims, Sequential Prophets, Roland Jupiters and Yamaha stuff of the 80's. I guess all those analog sounds are available now, via computer.

I enjoy the Nord Lead A1 that's basically shoehorned into Nord Stage 3 that I have. Brass sounds are my favorite 😍
I have the arturia V colllection (thanks pirates) and it has all those great classics like the prophet V etc, the sounds of many bands I love!

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

:crazy: Bio-electrical synthesis is frickin' cool n all.

https://youtu.be/Oi3e3PlEJAs

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GAS ignited!