Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

HX users-poly capo question

Post by Kris »

Yo team-a few helix family users here so thought this is the best place to ask.
Im considering consolidating down to a multi-and was going to go TC plethora , but a few days jamming on the poly capo function of helix native has me super curious about the smaller HX stuff-basically between the stomp and the HXFX. Bg's comment on the capo function has me gunshy though-how much of a limit does it place on the overall horsepower? Man-look at google didnt really give too many answers.cheers!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: HX users-poly capo question

Post by Bg »

If you're using a basic amp and effects, its fine. I wouldn't consider myself an effects hog, but yeah I did hit the limits, only time I did mind!

If you're not using the amp block, I wouldn't think there would be an issue.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I hit the limits of the dsp enough to think I’d rather a dedicated pedal for that if I was going to use it more often. Depends on how many other effects and how dsp intensive they are. I think there is a chart online somewhere that gives the dsp usage of effect, I’ll see if I can find it.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:11 pm I hit the limits of the dsp enough to think I’d rather a dedicated pedal for that if I was going to use it more often. Depends on how many other effects and how dsp intensive they are. I think there is a chart online somewhere that gives the dsp usage of effect, I’ll see if I can find it.
i found it after posting this-from what i could tell its about 50% in mono,i dont need the amp blocks as i've never had any luck with running direct.If im at home ill use my interface :) Guessing the HXFX makes more sense to me than the hx stomp.Shame appro is a thing of the past..really need to try it in context at jam volumes.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

It does use about 50% of one of the chips DSP. However, you can still squeeze a lot out of it if you have a full Helix (ie two chips).

ie this is my live signal path:

With this I do a whole set just with snapshots on teh same present. You can see I squeeze 3 amps on there (one bass, one clean and one dirty guitar), a poly capo to drop the guitar for faux bass, compressor, overdrie, and a phaser, delay and reverb (and a coupla IRs).

This is basically maxed - I think I ended up going JC120 for clean (which is fine cause it sounds nice) cause it literally wouldn't fit the Archetype Clean DSP wise :lol:

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

I had a the big helix when it came out originally and despite the feature set being awesome,it really let me down in the jamroom.I have my old mac at the jamroom so might try running native on that-save myself some coin and hope a deal pops up on a second hand unit perhaps.
I'm guessing the HX is single chip like the stomp?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Give you can buy a polyphonic octave unit like the TC brainwaves or similar for < $300 I'd pair one of those up with a HX stomp and be happy as larry, apart from the fact I don't think modelled overdrives sound as good...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

How do you bank/preset up and down with your feet on stage? I've watched a dozen HX Stomp videos and not a single one showed if this functionality was possible. Do you need an external midi controller for that, or can you push 2 buttons at the same time (like Strymon)?

Guess I should RTFM... :P