Hand-wired Vs PCB for pedals and amps....

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Hand-wired Vs PCB for pedals and amps....

Post by jeremyb »

An interesting discussion :rofl:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Hand-wired Vs PCB for pedals and amps....

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Didn't watch the whole thing, but interesting topic. I certainly can't hear any difference, but I still like hand wired things. And on a related tangent, I like vintage amps and pedals, but I concede that modern ones are better overall (certainly more consistent).

Part of the reason I like vintage and bespoke things is the idea that something pieced together 50 years ago is still alive and can still rip faces off. The idea of some gnome in their back shed hunched over a soldering iron unleashing sonic sorcery. It is technology I can (almost) imagine crafting myself.

Another part is visual aesthetics. Hand wired boards look cool, valves look cool, old synthesisers look cool. Mind you, so do some PCBs... I don't know, but I will admit it has little to do with superior sound for me!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

I choose traditional hand wired amps.
They probably don't sound better
I don't even really think of them as cooler or more desirable
But they're easy to repair and maintain and that, good people is the decider for me.
End of story.

I'd like to say the same for pedals but it's not practical if you want commercial products.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

2/3 of my amps are handwired, 1 I built myself - and when it crackles I know which bit of cab to smack.

I also have a remarkable s/s fender amp.

and I spend 97% of my time digital.

Loved gigging every amp I owned, at least 4 of them were pcb!!! omg.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm I choose traditional hand wired amps.
But they're easy to repair amd maintain and that, good people is the decider for me.
End of story.

I'd like to say the same for pedals but it's not practical if you want commercial products.
Agree. Doubtful that they sound any better, but knowing that dodgy resistor can be swapped makes me sleep easier.

Will hopefully be in possession of three handwired amps in the near future...
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

Next, let’s debate tonewoods again.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Starfire wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm Next, let’s debate tonewoods again.
Yes lets do that.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6345&p=940223#p940223

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Bad design/construction, is bad design/construction, regardless of hw/pcb.

Case in point - I’ve owned 3 Vox AC4 HW’s. They’ve all been noisy, and felt pretty stiff.

A family friend who’s an electrical/audio engineer built a true point-to-point AC4 and it’s DEAD quiet, sounds and feels great. In discussing with him, he just confirmed the obvious: component choice, placement, and minimising distance between parts all adds up…..

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

murky wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 pm Bad design/construction, is bad design/construction, regardless of hw/pcb.

Case in point - I’ve owned 3 Vox AC4 HW’s. They’ve all been noisy, and felt pretty stiff.

A family friend who’s an electrical/audio engineer built a true point-to-point AC4 and it’s DEAD quiet, sounds and feels great. In discussing with him, he just confirmed the obvious: component choice, placement, and minimising distance between parts all adds up…..
Can he do an AC10?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:19 pm
murky wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 pm Bad design/construction, is bad design/construction, regardless of hw/pcb.

Can he do an AC10?
Why improve on perfection?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Can he do an AC10?
This guy! ^^^^^
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

Can he do an AC10?
To enable it to live beyond its first component failure?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Can he do an AC10?
AC4 to AC10. Obviously it's 6 better, right?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

But they're easy to repair and maintain and that, good people is the decider for me.
End of story.

The easier to repair thing is not necessarily true. The benefit of modern pcb electronics is, unlike your hand wired amp that needs a tech to fault find, on something that is pcb-based, you identify which board is faulty, take it out and put a new one in.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:07 am
End of story.

The easier to repair thing is not necessarily true. The benefit of modern pcb electronics is, unlike your hand wired amp that needs a tech to fault find, on something that is pcb-based, you identify which board is faulty, take it out and put a new one in.
But replacing a board is likely more expensive and challenging that replacing your average resistor or capacitor, right?