Hand-wired Vs PCB for pedals and amps....

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Wairarapajack
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Hand-wired Vs PCB for pedals and amps....

Post by Wairarapajack »

It depends if you're a tinkerer. If getting into the guts of a piece of gear, seeing how it works and fixing it floats your boat then Handwired all the way.

If you think of your amp as a magical black box that makes your guitar sound nice, then it probably doesn't matter. The cost differential between a PCB and Handwired product means that if the PCB fails you could buy a whole new unit and it would still cost less. Admittedly I am playing Devil's Advocate here, and hate the waste built in to that consumerist model.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:07 am The easier to repair thing is not necessarily true. The benefit of modern pcb electronics is, unlike your hand wired amp that needs a tech to fault find, on something that is pcb-based, you identify which board is faulty, take it out and put a new one in.
This feels wasteful but is kind of true. If your tech can get the parts quickly a PCB amp is probably quicker to fix

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:07 am
Slowy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm I choose traditional hand wired amps.
They probably don't sound better
I don't even really think of them as cooler or more desirable
But they're easy to repair and maintain and that, good people is the decider for me.
End of story.

I'd like to say the same for pedals but it's not practical if you want commercial products.
The easier to repair thing is not necessarily true. The benefit of modern pcb electronics is, unlike your hand wired amp that needs a tech to fault find, on something that is pcb-based, you identify which board is faulty, take it out and put a new one in.
But replacing a board is likely more expensive and challenging that replacing your average resistor or capacitor, right?
Modern surface mount stuff isn’t that serviceable, the labour cost would generally outweigh the replacement part, it’s hugely wasteful but people want thin light iPhones and so forth so this is the world we have now :-(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

But they're easy to repair and maintain and that, good people is the decider for me.
End of story.

I'd like to say the same for pedals but it's not practical if you want commercial products.
The easier to repair thing is not necessarily true. The benefit of modern pcb electronics is, unlike your hand wired amp that needs a tech to fault find, on something that is pcb-based, you identify which board is faulty, take it out and put a new one in.
True in principle. But try getting a replacement board for your AC10 or Boogie Mk5.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:09 am
End of story.

True in principle. But try getting a replacement board for your AC10 or Boogie Mk5.
You’d need to take the mesa to a service centre for sure, although the ac10 is pretty basic inside so most techs or electronics savvy home users could handle it :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 am
You’d need to take the mesa to a service centre for sure, although the ac10 is pretty basic inside so most techs or electronics savvy home users could handle it :-)
Yet that video you posted called the AC10 a boat anchor if anything went wrong.

Doesn't matter, just my preference. I've had such a good run with Clarry whenever I've needed something done and it's always been inexpensive; even when he's handed me half a cupful of replaced components.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

End of story.

And that is the fault of the manufacturer, they very easily could make them available and definitely should, which is why legislation is being formed in various parts of the world that parts for consumer electronics should be easily and readily available.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:22 am

And that is the fault of the manufacturer, they very easily could make them available and definitely should, which is why legislation is being formed in various parts of the world that parts for consumer electronics should be easily and readily available.
Exactly. So I'll stick to my Jurassic tech. :D

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:19 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 am
Yet that video you posted called the AC10 a boat anchor if anything went wrong.

Doesn't matter, just my preference. I've had such a good run with Clarry whenever I've needed something done and it's always been inexpensive; even when he's handed me half a cupful of replaced components.
Not me, but I’ve seen inside mine a few times now and it’s serviceable, parts should be available anyway, consumer guarantees act will give me a new one if they can’t fix it :mrgreen:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Working on handwired amps is infinitely easier as you don’t have to contend with accidentally burning out solder pads and all sorts of annoying dicking about with wires disconnecting themselves randomly.

Building handwired pedals is really annoying and takes up too much space. Has a cool aesthetic if you’re into doing the old circuits

SMD sucks because it’s too fiddly but the process is pretty sweet for the big players - use the computer to stick all the bits on the board and biff them in the oven.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

TmcB wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:16 am
SMD sucks because it’s too fiddly but the process is pretty sweet for the big players - use the computer to stick all the bits on the board and biff them in the oven.
Yep I've had summer jobs while I was doing my electronics degree running pick and place and flow solder machines, bulk manufacturing of SMD boards is easy and cheap once you're set up for it.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.