Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hercules
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 254 times

Pedalboards: your way

Post by hercules »

Hi folks, I am curious to know your approaches to pedalboards - particularly if they're really neat and tidy.

I am in the process of planning a 'mostly final' pedalboard, but I am curious to see what else is out there, and how you arrived at your current setup.

Pedaltrain has been the main base of mine for a while but (at least, the slightly older ones I have) I find just don't quite fit things the way I want - annoying gaps, not enough places for the pedals to stick, and not quite enough room for cables underneath. I can't afford a Schmidt Array board, but it doesn't seem like there are many options out there for two-level boards, power integration, etc...

Anyway - show me what you've got, and talk me through how you got there!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1017 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Re: Pedalboards: your way

Post by Slowy »

‘Final’ pedalboard is not a concept I understand.
I have a couple of pedaltrains. I use Lava cable and good power supplies.
Beyond that, stuff gets stuck in the order I want.
Gaps, visible cables etc are irrelevant, it’s a tool, not an art work.

Well you did ask about our approaches!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

My question is "What tones am I trying to recreate, and how can I jam as much stuff into the smallest place to achieve those tones."

As my tastes have changed (and my budget) the boards have changed, these days I want a board that can do everything from super clean to filthy walls of sound, the pedals reflect my main influences: John Mayer, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, and Matt Bellamy, but the sound that comes out is hopefully uniquely my own :)

Aesthetics are highly important to me, I want a really tidy board that I can setup and not have to touch, I switched from Pedaltrain to the Rockboard boards and they're a game changer, way easier to route cables!

I like having a modular patch bay on the back for outputs and inputs, power etc, Rockboard product again, and a single power supply that can power all the pedals (albeit some on daisy chains).
Attachments
53471788-457F-48D8-BEFE-61F638AE97E6.jpeg
53471788-457F-48D8-BEFE-61F638AE97E6.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 3091 times
Last edited by jeremyb on Fri May 27, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Post by Bg »

bish, bash, bosh. neat and does everything I need. sorted.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by captainfruitbat »

Bg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:56 am Image

Ditto. I spent years going backwards and forwards between analogue pedalboards and various modellers. Bought the Helix 4 years ago and haven't looked back. All my pedals have gone now.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I have been using a templeboard for a while now. If you want it to be OCD perfect it won't be cheap. Custom cables I made, specific connectors, mods... I have spent hours on this thing. Get crafty with other stuff you can make or buy to fill gaps. I made a couple of custom pedals and pickholders just to fit it. Some people might see it as a waste of time, and in some ways it is, but I do like being proud of a cool board I built.

I still have yet to rebuild my current FM3 board because I've changed it so many times... And yesterday I unexpectedly found a pedal I liked a lot. And it's going on. But here is my last iteration from a few years back with an AX8.
received_766478687183354.jpeg
received_766478687183354.jpeg (245.32 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

I should mention that I view my main board as a gigging board. I put on it what I need to sound great live and for the gig to go smoothly - I don't want to think about adjusting settings unless I have to. I want convenience for live stuff and minimal tap dancing.

At home, I use my board for recording, and have a few other sentimental pedals I can connect in the effects loop if I want. I can also add extra over the top stuff via plugins. I have different patches if I wanted to go in the front end of a tube amp and keep things minimal.

If I money was no object, I'd just have loads of different boards, but unfortunately it is. This system works for me!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am My question is "What tones am I trying to recreate, and how can I jam as much stuff into the smallest place to achieve those tones."

As my tastes have changed (and my budget) the boards have changed, these days I want a board that can do everything from super clean to filthy walls of sound, the pedals reflect my main influences: John Mayer, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, and Matt Bellamy, but the sound that comes out is hopefully uniquely my own :)

Aesthetics are highly important to me, I want a really tidy board that I can setup and not have to touch, I switched from Pedaltrain to the Rockboard boards and they're a game changer, way easier to route cables!

I like having a modular patch bay on the back for outputs and inputs, power etc, Rockboard product again, and a single power supply that can power all the pedals (albeit some on daisy chains).
Fuzzboy spotting!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:00 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am My question is "What tones am I trying to recreate, and how can I jam as much stuff into the smallest place to achieve those tones."

Fuzzboy spotting!
Its a killer pedal, love it for Jack White and Matt Bellamy velcro splatty fuzziness!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

captainfruitbat wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 am
Bg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:56 am Image

Ditto. I spent years going backwards and forwards between analogue pedalboards and various modellers. Bought the Helix 4 years ago and haven't looked back. All my pedals have gone now.
I have one pedal left and its a fuzziebro, just because sentimental value. Played most of my gigs with it, lent it out and got it back after 4 or 5 years. I used to send it xmas card emails.

Recently got a Wampler from somebody with a bad memory, looking forward to trying that out...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

hercules wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am Hi folks, I am curious to know your approaches to pedalboards
I gave up on getting lots of diff drive variations and modulation.

I just want 3 channels: Clean, Med Gain, High Gain with noise gate

With an always on clean boost at the end and an amp with a decent headroom clean channel.

Don't need an isolated power supply underneath.

No tap dancing.

Make my own patch cable to length. Don't care about cables tidied away underneath.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jb, where did you get the ODR mini? I could be a starter for one of those.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:13 pm
Recently got a Wampler from somebody with a bad memory, looking forward to trying that out...
Now that reminds me...
And it wasn't recent except in geological terms. :rofl:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 pm
Now that reminds me...
you only remembered it recently.... I relied on your memory.

sorry, what was the pedal?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm
Slowy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 pm
Now that reminds me...
you only remembered it recently.... I relied on your memory.

sorry, what was the pedal?
It's the Tumnus Deluxe. Minty fresh in box with all the box candy.
See? My memory is reliable; I'm just very patient.