murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: Pedalboards: your way

Post by murky »

Get a good true bypass looper and put your whole pedalboard (pedals off/bypassed) in the loop. Crank your amp - high gain preferable. Then switch in/out to see what your board does to the noise. Troubleshoot from there.

Pay particular attention to pedal placement near power supplies - and cable placement - move them around to see if the noise changes.

You’d be surprised how much in-necessary noise there often is…..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:10 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am My question is "What tones am I trying to recreate, and how can I jam as much stuff into the smallest place to achieve those tones."

As my tastes have changed (and my budget) the boards have changed, these days I want a board that can do everything from super clean to filthy walls of sound, the pedals reflect my main influences: John Mayer, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, and Matt Bellamy, but the sound that comes out is hopefully uniquely my own :)

Aesthetics are highly important to me, I want a really tidy board that I can setup and not have to touch, I switched from Pedaltrain to the Rockboard boards and they're a game changer, way easier to route cables!

I like having a modular patch bay on the back for outputs and inputs, power etc, Rockboard product again, and a single power supply that can power all the pedals (albeit some on daisy chains).
Jb, where did you get the ODR mini? I could be a starter for one of those.
Thomann, it may be up for sale yet, not sure it gives me anything I haven’t got covered already with other pedals :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am My question is "What tones am I trying to recreate, and how can I jam as much stuff into the smallest place to achieve those tones."

As my tastes have changed (and my budget) the boards have changed, these days I want a board that can do everything from super clean to filthy walls of sound, the pedals reflect my main influences: John Mayer, John Frusciante, David Gilmour, and Matt Bellamy, but the sound that comes out is hopefully uniquely my own :)

Aesthetics are highly important to me, I want a really tidy board that I can setup and not have to touch, I switched from Pedaltrain to the Rockboard boards and they're a game changer, way easier to route cables!

I like having a modular patch bay on the back for outputs and inputs, power etc, Rockboard product again, and a single power supply that can power all the pedals (albeit some on daisy chains).
Thomann, it may be up for sale yet, not sure it gives me anything I haven’t got covered already with other pedals :-)
Dibs.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:40 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Dibs.
Absolutely!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

I had just started building a huge pedalboard out of plywood, for holding most of my pedals... Then I got in a band again, priorities changed.

I now have a large hand truck fully loaded to cart my gear... amp head, speaker cab, spare amp head, and fish bin with my cables and my now a compact pedalboard to suit 3 sets of pop/rock/funk covers. Plus a double gig bag wih 2 guitars slung over my back. Hard to get a decent park near Fat Eddies where we play monthly, sometimes have to travel 2 blocks through the Saturday night crowds, so really dont want multiple trips. 😜 The small pedalboard life is liberating

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

This is Mooer pedalboard is tiny... 490*290mm. It's tiered design means I can fit the 10 pedals I use with the band, without the big footprint or bulky case. Soft case fits in a normal sized fish bin perfectly :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Small pedalboards rule, mines not that small but I had a maximum width requirement to fit in the small area I have set aside for my gear which shaped what would go on it…

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

I make my boards out of scraps from work,and all designed to fit in a generic tool case i got off Mark (from the forum) waaaay back.Its a decent enough size to provide many options without getting out of control.I'm a fan of having smaller simpler boards that can be combined or interchanged as even a death metal caveman like me has more variety than the uninitiated would credit :)

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

I had the board that JB has, actually sold it back to him...

I then got a bigger Rockboard in this style: https://pedaltrain.com/products/pedaltr ... -soft-case. Found i had the cable space underneath and I could put a Rockboard mod on it, but cabling was a nightmare. I actually had to raise the es5 so I could cable it.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--909958735.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--909958735.jpeg (151.44 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
I have just bought a Duo 2.2 as I have sold the es5 and all the pedals on the right hand side and have a HX stomp.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Candeevr4 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 pm I had the board that JB has, actually sold it back to him...

I then got a bigger Rockboard in this style: https://pedaltrain.com/products/pedaltr ... -soft-case. Found i had the cable space underneath and I could put a Rockboard mod on it, but cabling was a nightmare. I actually had to raise the es5 so I could cable it.

I have just bought a Duo 2.2 as I have sold the es5 and all the pedals on the right hand side and have a HX stomp.
Wait... You're missing half of your TU-3 tuner! :shock:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cdog wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am
Candeevr4 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 pm I had the board that JB has, actually sold it back to him...

Wait... You're missing half of your TU-3 tuner! :shock:
He's so heavy footed he snapped the footswitch section completely off it!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I'm left wondering if I'm the only right handed player who prefers their wah pedal on the left of the board. I find using wah with my right foot weird, and with it on the right side of the board I end up standing off to the side of the board
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

chur wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm I'm left wondering if I'm the only right handed player who prefers their wah pedal on the left of the board. I find using wah with my right foot weird, and with it on the right side of the board I end up standing off to the side of the board
Thats interesting, you sure you're not left handed? my left leg feels like I have so little control compared to the right!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 pm
chur wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm I'm left wondering if I'm the only right handed player who prefers their wah pedal on the left of the board. I find using wah with my right foot weird, and with it on the right side of the board I end up standing off to the side of the board
Thats interesting, you sure you're not left handed? my left leg feels like I have so little control compared to the right!
Well.. my guitar playing is fairly sad using either direction, but yep 100% sure right handed. Because the guitar is either sitting on or leaning against my right hip/ leg I must have just "past participle of get" used to using my left I guess
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

chur wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:34 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 pm
Well.. my guitar playing is fairly sad using either direction, but yep 100% sure right handed. Because the guitar is either sitting on or leaning against my right hip/ leg I must have just "past participle of get" used to using my left I guess
I often wonder if we're doing guitar wrong, if you're right handed your right hand is surely better suited to fretting notes than picking, opposite true for lefties... that said when I try to play like that its absolute garbage :rofl: