meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Talent Boxes

Post by clubhouse »

Mentalmen, noblewomen and anyone hither and yon...here's my pedal board:

My pedal-board.jpg
My pedal-board.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 2666 times

Yeah, it's obvious I play jazz (thinking Sun Ra and his Arkestra :crazy: ) and saxophone.

Now, two things you'll immediately notice is that there's no treadle wahs...this is deliberate, as although I think there are some breeding in a corner somewhere, I don't dig their funk. The other is that there are some double-ups: both by specific brand/type/version or by different maker but their version of the same family circuit (think soft-clipping overdrive types: Snouse BB + JHS MG, octave fuzz types: Warm Foxy Tone Box + Danelectro French Toast + Tychobrahe Octavia, etc.)...again deliberate.

Where I'm going with this is that I think overdrives can be loosely corralled by circuit similarities...that they have links back to certain, shared circuit DNA...the soft clipper family, the hard clipper family, the mid-humpers, etc. If I'm wrong on this, I know y'all will school me better...I'm only trying to sketch this out from interwebbery stuff.

What I'm trying to do, without resorting to 2-in-1 boxes (Double Barrels, D+M Drive, KoT, etc), is to find other talent boxes of the same overdrive family from other makers that offer their own spice/herb combination but still using the same generic proteins, carbs and fats, specific to the recipe, as it were.

I may be totally screwed up and leaping off of a dumb line of reasoning already, but on the chance that I'm roughly golden on this, what box(es) are in the same circuit ballpark as the Timmy? I was thinking Greer Lightspeed (without having knowingly heard/seen one)...is this correct?

And for the hell of it, and for when I get that far...is there any alternative to the Nobels ODR-1 (love that thing...ooh, so much love, just want to...oh, sorry about that)?

Can any of you gear-heads, solder jockeys, big brain dudes put a list of known dirt boxes in their relative sand-pit families? Help a fellow junkie out, bro :wave:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Talent Boxes

Post by Molly »

Love that pic. Imagine if that was your actual pedal board; cables an' all. Just crunch across it and see what comes out.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

clubhouse wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 pm Can any of you gear-heads, solder jockeys, big brain dudes put a list of known dirt boxes in their relative sand-pit families?
1) Cool photo. What a legend.

2) Interesting question. Found this initially, but more googling is required

https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-b ... y-for-2018

3) I find the lack of any Jeorge Tripps pedals in that pile disturbing

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

JHS puts them into 6 categories of circuit, with some examples.

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/what-yo ... ive-pedals

/assuming I have understood the mission instructions

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

clubhouse wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 pm what box(es) are in the same circuit ballpark as the Timmy?
Apparently PaulC explains a lot about it on freestompboxes.org

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopi ... 56&t=26625

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Or there are delay pedals and just pedals
Cool t wah btw
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I love it, it makes my board look really tidy ;-)

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Molly wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:04 pm Love that pic. Imagine if that was your actual pedal board; cables an' all. Just crunch across it and see what comes out.
Cool man! I'm always a bit trepidatious stepping out of the closet to reveal what goes on in there...good to know I'm in safe company :D

Funny you should imagine that...and a few decades too late to catch the action but yeah...straight out of music school in the 90s, when 'noise rock' was a thing (just before Nirvana blew shit up) and 'art wank' was easier to get away with...that was pretty much my jam. Didn't have quite that number of pedals or flavours wired up, but yeah, a heap on the floor was all part of the shtick...assembling a random, series connection of pedals into an unsuspecting Twin Reverb, lie/smoosh across the top of them, guitar as signal generator and unleash...the improvisation of trying to sculpt something from the buzz, fuzz, wobble and swoosh was the trick.

The drummer was an utter clock...dude was an immense, time-keeping, groove machine...would latch on to a vibe and cover my arse me until we uncovered the muse beneath. Had a manifesto purloined from the VU and Andy Warhol and John Cage on all sound being musical, including noise...it's a matter of resolution...sometimes the listener is too close to the racket to hear the patterns and it seems too random. If the listener could zoom out (space) or hear over an extended timeframe (decades, centuries), patterns would emerge therefore registering as 'music'...or some such twaddle :mrgreen: was going to do my thesis on it but life happened :roll:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

JHorner wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:16 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 pm Can any of you gear-heads, solder jockeys, big brain dudes put a list of known dirt boxes in their relative sand-pit families?
1) Cool photo. What a legend.

2) Interesting question. Found this initially, but more googling is required

https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-b ... y-for-2018

3) I find the lack of any Jeorge Tripps pedals in that pile disturbing
Dude...you are a sleuthing fiend!!! Fuck yeah! Man, I've been trolling through pages of TGP for ever trying to figure stuff out...you just get me, you...just..get...me. If I wasn't married already, I'd be down on a knee now. Ooooh, I've got some seriously enjoyable reading to do...thanks man. This site rocks!

Yeah, I dig you man...and I'm embarrassed and disturbed myself. Jeorge Tripps, man, that dude is a certified cat!

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

JHorner wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:28 pm JHS puts them into 6 categories of circuit, with some examples.

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/what-yo ... ive-pedals

/assuming I have understood the mission instructions
Nailed it...thanks man, now I'm on my way! :thumbup:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Kev77 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 pm Or there are delay pedals and just pedals
Cool t wah btw
Cool, man...yeah, Mr Echo, I've detected an interesting proclivity radiating lush, wobbly, waves from your seas :thumbup:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:04 pm I love it, it makes my board look really tidy ;-)
Yeah, I need to fix that...I'd arrange them by colour but I'm pretty fugged in that department...I battle with the traffic lights :lol:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I spy some epic toys in the pile. Dyna Comp, Boss CE-1 + Dimension + T-rex Replica? YES PLEASE ANDY SUMMERS ALL NIGHT LONG

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:25 pm I spy some epic toys in the pile. Dyna Comp, Boss CE-1 + Dimension + T-rex Replica? YES PLEASE ANDY SUMMERS ALL NIGHT LONG
I also spied the CE-1, wowsers!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

The Lightspeed is close ish to the Timmy but it does sound different in its own right too, my current favourite Timmy type circuit is the Blues Power by King Tone, a really nice version. Apparently the Jan Ray is also a good Timmy clone but 3 times the price!