Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Ok learn us about Kempers?

Post by Molly »

Optical wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:19 pm Dunno if you guys have tried the rig profiler in TH-U but it has kemper profiles you can hoon without a kemper
Hadn't heard of that. Looks worth investigating.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Bg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:09 pm yeah I'm sort of split as I'd like to envisage a future where I'm gigging again. I'm swinging toward rack and controller, but need to go into the youtube rabbit hole, thought I'd get youse fullas feelings, especially Kiwiaxe, being a very early adopter!
Have you seen my recent post about Fractal vs Kemper? I almost wanted to fall out of love with the Kemper on the basis that the Fractal stuff is SO F#KING COOL but sonically I’m still loving the Kemper and from a performance perspective, it simply can’t be easier.

Shame you aren’t back in Ak before you need to make the call, because then I’d have you round and let loose on the options and how I run it.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 pm I use the toaster at home, hooked up to studio monitors. The sound is addictive. It makes me smile almost every time I hear the first note once I power it up. I think we all have days when we get really frustrated with our tone and want to chuck it all in and start again. I've never felt like this with my Kemper--a first for me.
I’m almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’m the same. To the point that I set up my Mesa Boogie MkIVa a while back, with the Dr Z air brake to get some serious valve-warming going, plus my beloved original orange BB-Preamp in the front, running through the original ElectroVoice speaker - essentially what I always had as my dream rig but for the weight - and actually found myself going back to using the Kemper even at home.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 pm I think we all have days when we get really frustrated with our tone and want to chuck it all in and start again. I've never felt like this with my Kemper--a first for me.
sounds like i need a kemper too.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:24 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:14 pm I use the toaster at home, hooked up to studio monitors. The sound is addictive. It makes me smile almost every time I hear the first note once I power it up. I think we all have days when we get really frustrated with our tone and want to chuck it all in and start again. I've never felt like this with my Kemper--a first for me.
I’m almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’m the same. To the point that I set up my Mesa Boogie MkIVa a while back, with the Dr Z air brake to get some serious valve-warming going, plus my beloved original orange BB-Preamp in the front, running through the original ElectroVoice speaker - essentially what I always had as my dream rig but for the weight - and actually found myself going back to using the Kemper even at home.
I'm the same. I have my fave amp at home...it rarely gets turned on. I enjoy it when I do turn it on, but it is so limited by comparison. Especially when I need to play at home volumes. I should probably sell it and my board as well.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I reckon the Quad Cortex sounds better than the kemper, the profiles are closer to the amp than a Kemper from the reviews I've watched but YMMV...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I would be surprised if the QC isn’t theoretically “better” than the kemper - just as my Fractal AxeFX3 and FM3 are. But what, to me, the kemper has going for it (and had brought me back to focus on it more, ahead of my fractal stuff) is:
- the ease and simplicity of it. You find a profile you like. You make minor tweaks (I have my favourite compressor, wah, reverb and delay settings saved) and voila.
- I have got at least as good sounds out of it (this is subjective, and possibly with enough time I could get my fractal to sound better - but I’m content with what I’ve got!)
- live use, I will say kemper is so much easier for what I do (4 patches - being clean, crunch, drive and rock), each with a morph setting to beef up for lead controlled by an expression pedal. I can actually go through a gig with just the expression pedal.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm toaster with floor controller, although I don't hardly use the controller (the controller does do looping etc though). Does the rack unit have any features that the toaster doesn't have? If not, go the the toaster as it's a much better format. I use mine through a speaker cabinet with the Celestion FFFR speakers in it. I use a Fryette power station poweramp.

One thing with my setup - the Celestion speakers need a bit of volume to sound great - so I'm usually louder than I want to be. I'd like to get some monitors or a small FRFR active speaker to use in that situation.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

One has popped up on TM
:mental:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Olderama wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm One has popped up on TM
I saw that. The thing is, a brand new unit is 1242.67 Euros, including gig bag and shipping... https://shop.kempermusic.com/gb/kemper/ ... g-set?c=19. I bought straight from Kemper, and had to pay GST too.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Olderama wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm One has popped up on TM
last kemper stage sold for 2,200 -2,300 I think - it was a few weeks ago. one before that similar price, perhaps a touch more.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah I'd been keeping an eye on them

Not sure about the Quad Cortex, I think that would be completely over the top for what I want - or think I want. But its newer tech I suppose
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:10 pm yeah I'd been keeping an eye on them

Not sure about the Quad Cortex, I think that would be completely over the top for what I want - or think I want. But its newer tech I suppose
Newer tech and you could run a whole band off of it, multiple inputs with separate routing to separate amps etc... way overkill for bedroom use but super cool :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah, complete overkill. Haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. Might just wait to see if my nerves recover.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.