rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 653 times

New Gear Day(s) feat. Marshall, Maton, Seymour Duncan, Strymon

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Haven't been doing NGD's but have a few new toys, so here's a few thoughts. All of this gear was not actually stuff I wanted to buy - it was needed for reliable performance at a pile of gigs that I have booked and it was all expensive, ouch!

Marshall SV20c - 20 Watt Plexi:
rickenbackerkid wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:11 pm Oh dude. I just found that there is a 20 watt plexi 1x10 combo too . . . .
Not long after that my trusty Pro Junior shat itself. Cooked OT, possibly more. Fixable, but will have to import an OT at the very least. So I needed an amp soon and so rather than waiting for a used one I just messaged Dave and ordered one.

Short review is that it is brilliant. Genuine Marshall break up at a controllable-ish volume, compact size and weight.
I've tried a bunch of amps that try to be a small or light or low watt version of something else, and fall somewhat short, but to me the SV20c is not a copy or attempt - it really is a Plexi.

It's also taylor made for a gigging musician - 5watt for rehearsals, 20 for gigs. FX loop, in case you need it, but even that can be completely bypassed out of the circuit.

Cons? Yes. For a start it has no quiet mode. Overdrive in 5 watt mode is LOUD. Overdrive at 20 watt mode sounds massive. The EQ is very weird and is extremely interactive. The bright channel is like an ice pick through the ear. So basically, it has the same issues that a big Plexi has - because as I've already said, I think this deserves to be called a Plexi. It's fantastic. Here it is in the flightcase, all ready to go make an unholy noise.

Maton MS500/12HC

I play 3 songs on the 12 string for our show and was battling my Eastwood. Tuning was tough and it had a wide neck that I personally found quite uncomfortable. So when I saw a Maton on TM I figured this would be a professional grade instrument with a comfortable neck for a reasonable price, and also it was my birthday, so I bid and got it.

I have been winning on purchases. This is very comfortable, small, narrow neck, and a compact feel, you never feel like you have to reach around it. Cons? 6 saddle bridge means intonation could be better. Needs a new nut, but apart from that, high quality, comfortable guitar with fabulous pickups. People talk about Danelectro's as being the best non-Rickenbacker 12 string, but this Maton deserves some credit.

Strymon Deco

I use only very basic sounds for The Boss so I went an analog pedalboard for the few sounds I need. However as my trust DMM is playing up I needed a delay that can do great slap echo along with the odd longer echo for a couple of moments. Strymon Deco is a bit marvellous, best slap I have ever heard, crazy good chorus and flanger and just in case that's not enough, it has a preamp/saturation/distortion type thing. To be fair I wasn't expecting much from the drive and didn't try it for weeks, only to find its also excellent. If I could have just one pedal, I think it would have to be the Deco. I want a Deco Pro with more presets.

Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo

Our sound guy doesn't like my LR Baggs Lyric. He wants more bass that it can provide and it is more trouble than he'd like with a tendency to feedback with loud monitors. So I did a shitload of reading and had a stab at this Seymour Duncan. It's a piezo pickup and a mic that you can blend in. The mic has a massive low cut, so it doesn't tend to feedback and the mic adds some air.
Best thing about it is that it has an 18volt preamp, you can spank the shit out of it with a fraction of the splatty piezo sounds that I've heard, all in all it's really good and a practical solution. I really like it, but also I liked the old system so there's that.

It's been an enjoyable round of shopping (also an ebow, spare tuner, strings and a wireless pack). No more gear this year.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: New Gear Day(s) feat. Marshall, Maton, Seymour Duncan, Strymon

Post by jeremyb »

Outstanding!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 843 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Some good scores there - that Maton looks amazeballs! Got me interested in that SV20 too, might have to have a listen to one of those.

Nice to have a genuine need / paid use for a new bit of kit as well as just plain old GAS.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Yeah it was nice to buy things that I did really need. Stuff like road cases too, kind of a cool feeling to have to buy them. Bit like a teenage daydream come to life

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

Thank you for the review of the SV20c, I've been GASing after one for a while now and may have to pull the trigger at some point.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

We should get together and you can have a fang on mine.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 pm We should get together and you can have a fang on mine.
Maybe if there’s time you could let him try the amp too?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

That's a great haul of new gear. The Deco seems like a pedal that doesn't sound all that exciting on paper but does magic things when you put it in your chain.
Loving it so far

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

SV20 is my favourite modern Marshall! It's a Plexi alright, through and through. Ended up moving mine on because at the end of the day even the low watt mode was too loud for me without a load box, but damn it sounded great cranked through my Tube Amp Expander.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

I owned the Deco once. Delicious sounding pedal! I used it as a splitter for a stereo rig. Nice gear!

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

I have had long term GAS for a Maton T-byrd. This post ain't helping none. Gorgeous.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:26 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 pm We should get together and you can have a fang on mine.
Maybe if there’s time you could let him try the amp too?
just after I posted that message, I thought 'I wonder what JB will do with that'

nice work

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

slash-ed wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:08 pm SV20 is my favourite modern Marshall! It's a Plexi alright, through and through. Ended up moving mine on because at the end of the day even the low watt mode was too loud for me without a load box, but damn it sounded great cranked through my Tube Amp Expander.
Certainly not a home-friendly amp. Really does seem built for the gigging player. Marshalls' 1watt amps are prob. more designed for home use.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

The use of big bottles (EL34's here, right?) in a lower output amp is a great concept for getting a bigger sound. Divided by 13 do that with the BTR 23. KT 88 but only 23 watts. Still a massive sounding amp and hugely loud. Marshall seem to understand this notion also and I’m really keen to have a play on one of these.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

That flight case could double as an iso recording booth!
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe