Anybody downsized from a Helix to a Stomp?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Anybody downsized from a Helix to a Stomp?

Post by TmcB »

I currently have a Helix LT but I never use all its capability and never take it out.
I'm thinking that the Stomp would actually be a better fit for me, both utility and pedalboard-wise.

Has anyone made the switch, and if so did you regret your choice?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Anybody downsized from a Helix to a Stomp?

Post by mop »

No experience there but a band mate or I could be keen on the LT if you decide to move it on.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

I’ve owned both, though haven’t used either super extensively.

The stomp is a little powerhouse, you would have to be making some seriously intense presets to need more horse power. What it does lack, is switches. So you will prob need at least a 2 button aux switch, possibly an mc6 or similar midi switcher. This depends on how you use it, but try limiting yourself to 3 switches on the lt and see how you go.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I was going to say bass or guitar, but I think what would be better is what else would be on your board?
If you're using external stomps - only you can decide.

My bass setups with the LT are pretty basic, I switch in some dirt with Temah! some mods - flange/trem/chorus amongst others, some downtuning etc. I use some scenes.
Its not complex and could be less so but its nice to have all the switches available.

Guitar, well its my only board so yeah.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

When we released GT-1000CORE, I spent a fair bit of time researching the pros and cons vs HX Stomp - both on the internet and speaking to store staff who were Helix users, musicians etc.

One thing that came up for a lot of people was that downsizing to the smaller unit came with a smaller screen, which changed the user experience. Full-fat Helix has had the best UI in multieffects for a long time now (potentially could be unseated by Neural's Quad Cortex now), but the small screen definitely seemed to detract from that, for a lot of the people that I spoke to.

If you use stereo pedals, the TRS stereo loop needs a breakout cable and it seemed that most people either didn't know that it even was stereo, or just were put off by the weird cable they'd need to run it.

Something that most of the compact 3-button form factor multis lack is direct-to-preset navigation - by their nature they're limited to patch up/down so if you're a person who likes to jump between preset 2 and preset 14, then you'll need a MIDI switcher to send PC.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

As a Stomp user I would say the only issue I have is dsp, if you want to run stereo amps a delay, verb and any polyphonic effect you can’t do it. I do enjoy running my own drives though just for fun more than anything as I’m sure I could probably do a gig with just the stomp and an aux switch.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 am As a Stomp user I would say the only issue I have is dsp, if you want to run stereo amps a delay, verb and any polyphonic effect you can’t do it. I do enjoy running my own drives though just for fun more than anything as I’m sure I could probably do a gig with just the stomp and an aux switch.
Just use mono amps for those complex patches? Either with stereo cabs after or mono cab + stereo effects?

I mean the FM3 can't even do dual amps
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

MattAnt wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 am
Reg18 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 am As a Stomp user I would say the only issue I have is dsp, if you want to run stereo amps a delay, verb and any polyphonic effect you can’t do it. I do enjoy running my own drives though just for fun more than anything as I’m sure I could probably do a gig with just the stomp and an aux switch.
Just use mono amps for those complex patches? Either with stereo cabs after or mono cab + stereo effects?

I’d love to add a proper polyphonic Pog patch but from
Memory I don’t even think it works with a mono amp and 1 delay and verb, but I think if I was defiantly going to use a Pog effect I’d just buy one to free up the dsp. I tend to run a mono amp with stereo effects and an IR to save dsp but if I had the bigger helix I’d probably explore more stereo amp setups.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 am
MattAnt wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 am

I’d love to add a proper polyphonic Pog patch but from
Memory I don’t even think it works with a mono amp and 1 delay and verb, but I think if I was defiantly going to use a Pog effect I’d just buy one to free up the dsp. I tend to run a mono amp with stereo effects and an IR to save dsp but if I had the bigger helix I’d probably explore more stereo amp setups.
Yea fair call. I don't really use any effects on my stomp so prob not the best to chime in here!
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 am As a Stomp user I would say the only issue I have is dsp, if you want to run stereo amps a delay, verb and polyphonic effect you can’t do it. I do enjoy running my own drives though just for fun more than anything as I’m sure I could probably do a gig with just the stomp and an aux switch.
I'm a stomp user too, and this is also my experience. If you want studio quality, full stereo and lots of time-based effects, you will need to augment it. But even having said that, you can still get some great (and complex) ambient sounds from it. I bought it to use as an amp/cab/ir pedal (so I use a separate delay & reverb) but you could easily gig using only the HXStomp for most settings I reckon.

As Ed pointed out, the small format means it does get tricky switching between selecting patches and turning effects on and off. So if you are a real shoegazer, I think you would need a switcher as well...and keep some of your effects pedals.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I would never, as all my presets tend to use both chips (even my bass ones, as I run a parallel clean low-passed path to preserve bottom end).

But if I was running single-chip presets I'd seriously consider it