Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Recording interface advice

Post by Slowy »

The Band has a fancy new PA and thoughts have turned to recording.
What's a simple and hopefully cheap way of recording practices and gigs for reference etc?

I assume this will quickly turn into a wormy hole which is why I've never gone down it. Boys are talking of booking studio time but it seems a waste to me.
Reckon we could get regular performance 'printouts' for similar money.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Recording interface advice

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Plug your phone into the pa. You can download a free recording app or use the supplied one. If you want a better interface, I can give you an older one

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

It's not easy to get it sounding good.

The simplest way to do it is run everything through your PA, then the line-level outs to a recording interface. These are usually just left and right outputs. All instruments and vocals will be summed to left and right. The problem is that, for most gigs, acoustic volumes of some instruments (drums) will be so loud that you have them mixed to only come through the PA at relatively low volumes. Contrast that with vocals, which will be be hugely amplified to keep up. This means that if you're recording a summed live mix, the vocals and acoustic guitars will be way too loud, and drums and electric guitars way too quiet.

Some PAs I think can run line level outputs for each input. But then you'd need an interface with lots of inputs. Would allow you to mix better, though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

What’s your PA? Some of them will operate as a multitrack input when plugged in to a computer and you can then process after.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

model of your desk will help! alot of new desks have usb outs which can record to thumb drives etc.Im assuming you are all quite together as a unit so could prob get some good takes without the need for individual tracks.As always,budget is the key here, and having someone who already can drive a DAW in the circle is a must.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Mixer ia an ALTO Live 1604
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 pm Mixer ia an ALTO Live 1604
- USB audio connectivity with level control
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:52 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 pm Mixer ia an ALTO Live 1604
- USB audio connectivity with level control
That's good? Seriously, I'm clueless about this stuff.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

basically its a two channel summed mix,which ive always though was a waste of time unless it records straight to a thumb drive.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Yep. That desk will record the Left and Right outputs direct to your laptop over USB. Easy as.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

If you are in Auckland you could borrow my Mackie 16S - it will record multitrack to your computer

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:32 pm If you are in Auckland you could borrow my Mackie 16S - it will record multitrack to your computer
Thank you! I'll put it to the crew and see what they want to do.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Multitrack is the way to go. If you need help mixing a multitrack hit me up.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

What are you wanting to do with the recordings?

1. Are you looking for audio notes to remember ideas and arrangements? Then a simple audio recorder (even a phone) set up in the middle of the room would likely do the trick.

2. Are you looking to make demos that you can show people to help get more gigs? Then at least get someone with a bit of knowhow, some decent mics and the ability to track and mix for you. You can get a decent demo recorded in your rehearsal space if you are careful about playing-levels and judicious mic placement (with the right sort of mics to help control the recorded sound for each instrument and vocalist) I used to get some surprisingly decent single room recordings back at the Manor this way, but it took a fair bit of thought and planning to set up properly.

I've attached a track done this way. Live drums, a rudimentary ISO box for guitar using a ribbon mic to reject sound from certain angles, some surplus office divider screens to keep the vocal mics from direct attack from the drums and DI the bass. Used a Headphone distribution thing to send monitor mix to each band member. One vocal overdub to double the chorus.
01 The Ruse - Final.mp3
The Ruse by Bad Jones
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
3. Are you looking to record something you can release or sell as merch or for posterity and want to showcase the best of the band?
Book the studio time. Work with someone you trust as a producer to tidy up and tighten the arrangements. Be ruthless and select only the best tracks. Practice the fuck out of them so you know what every member of the band is playing and you can't forget it. (If I had a dollar for the number of times I've discovered hidden gold that my band mates have been playing that I couldn't hear until we sat down to work out recording arrangements, I'd have enough for at least 3-4 cups of coffee)
When you get things so honed down that you don't need to think about them, studio recording becomes a whole lot more fun and productive. You'll waste less time getting far better performances rather than being nervous in a strange new environment. Then you'll get your moneys worth!

:D

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

If you do decide to record gigs directly from the desk, don’t forget to record the crowd as well—set up a couple of room mikes or it will sound really empty and sad.