Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2480 times

Teach me about Univibes

Post by Slowy »

Never had one but they sound pretty impressive with a neck pup to my ears. I'm not interested in going all Booteeky without playing with one for a while.

So what does a man need to know about Univibes? Are there any good affordable versions from the likes of Mooer or Joyo? What's the one I should buy regardless? etc.etc.

Haven't bought a pedal in quite a while....a long while....
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Re: Teach me about Univibes

Post by Dharmajester »

Univibes can be a bit of a rabbit hole. Days of internet wisdom (Rotfl) to digest. From experience, those duplicating the original circuit with proper lightbulb etc sound best and footpedal control of speed is pretty essential. Ultimately though for the right sound, it's a costly effect, which unless you do a lot of Floyd/Hendrix/Trower covers, will likely not be used extensively.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

https://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=39117

Just buy this, the univibe sim on here is decent and it will give you other options also.

Seller is a disreputable character though ;-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

In my limited experience, https://robertkeeley.com/product/dark-side/ I used the uni-vibe quite a bit, and it was awesome! However... if I was to buy a univibe only pedal I'd be going straight to the JHS Unicorn, its a proper photocell based job and has tap tempo or expression input to control the speed!

Looks like Conway has the V2 in stock!! https://tonelounge.co.nz/unicorn-uni-vi ... ulator-v2/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

The Fulltone Dejavibe is really well regarded also. Think they've shot up in price though.
Loving it so far

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 am https://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=39117

Just buy this, the univibe sim on here is decent and it will give you other options also.

Seller is a disreputable character though ;-)
I agree with this....mostly :think:

The Line6 univibe sound is actually not bad. I use it still on HX.

Pedal has sold however :shifty:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am Univibes can be a bit of a rabbit hole. Days of internet wisdom (Rotfl) to digest. From experience, those duplicating the original circuit with proper lightbulb etc sound best and footpedal control of speed is pretty essential. Ultimately though for the right sound, it's a costly effect, which unless you do a lot of Floyd/Hendrix/Trower covers, will likely not be used extensively.
After posting, I watched Josh Scott's rundown of Univibe pedals and came to exactly your opinion.

Too late for Grant's offering so this may be a stillborn idea. I had no idea how complex they were.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:23 am
Looks like Conway has the V2 in stock!! https://tonelounge.co.nz/unicorn-uni-vi ... ulator-v2/
Which part of 'Sold Out, Not in Stock, Add to Wishlist' don't you understand Jb?
:rofl:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:15 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:23 am
Which part of 'Sold Out, Not in Stock, Add to Wishlist' don't you understand Jb?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

I’ve had a few, and a couple of Drybell Vibe Machines is what I still have. I think they’re the best in the small format category. The Roger Mayer Vibe Machine, Foxrox Aqua Vibe & Black Cat Vibe were the best of the 90s/early 2000s and there’s now a fair bunch of higher priced clones like Vibe Bro etc.

blackstratblues
Gibson

Forgot to mention, the Drybell is also good for that barely on subtle thickening like so

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNoYknTn8J ... y7eu3o73fw

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

blackstratblues wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 pm Forgot to mention, the Drybell is also good for that barely on subtle thickening like so

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNoYknTn8J ... y7eu3o73fw
That's ferocious! And on the lighter end of the effect I was looking for.
But Warren, you have cemented your brand so completely that I was distracted by the non black Strat. :lol:

blackstratblues
Gibson

Slowy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 pm
That's ferocious! And on the lighter end of the effect I was looking for.
But Warren, you have cemented your brand so completely that I was distracted by the non black Strat. :lol:
That's my Jimi/SRV strat :winky:
'62 AVRI body, Mexi Lonestar neck, Suhr ML pickups.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This is timely, I have a harmonic tremolo mode on my MXR trem and really dig it!

blackstratblues
Gibson