rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Adventures in WET/DRY/WET

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Had a fun little blat today with a W/D/W rig.

Dry side of the rig was my Strat --> Boss Compressor --> Fender Pro Junior

Wet side of the rig was a Sennheiser e609 microphone --> Avid Eleven Rack set for reverb and delay, 100% wet --> my db Technologies es503 PA system

I quickly learned that W/D/W rigs are awesomesauce and even without really spending any time tweaking I was getting incredibly rich, full stereo tones.

And when I traded out the compressor for a Hotcake it was amazing how much gain I could use, while still getting pleasant sounding spacious echoes, something I just can't do with my rig normally. I highly recommend trying W/D/W if you can - it's a shit load of fun

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Adventures in WET/DRY/WET

Post by jeremyb »

Hang on, so the wet was taking the input from the mic? Did you notice any latency? I guess with using it for reverbs and delays that would actually work well if there was... Interesting!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

No audible latency - like most 'pro' interfaces, the eleven rack has very low latency. Pulling the signal from a mic probably adds a further dimension to the sound, compared to pulling the signal from a line out or similar.

I'd love to try some other mics, but that's the only guitar mic I have at home - also got SM57, Cascade Fathead, ATM 250 and my fave AE3000 to try out.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

it got even more fun after I added this lot in front of the amp. It turns out that I really like a tiny bit of comp, chorus and mono delay in front of the amp, followed by a shitload more chorus and reverb after

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

That's a clever way to do it, I might try that next time I get a chance to play at a decent volume at home.
Loving it so far

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Wicked! Video clips please :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:46 pm it got even more fun after I added this lot in front of the amp. It turns out that I really like a tiny bit of comp, chorus and mono delay in front of the amp, followed by a shitload more chorus and reverb after

I add subtle delay and tremolo to my clean tone most of the time, sounds awesome, also a chorus fan too!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:30 pm
I'd love to try some other mics, but that's the only guitar mic I have at home - also got SM57, Cascade Fathead, ATM 250 and my fave AE3000 to try out.
I want to try this with a stereo interface, different mics sending audio left and right. I think this would add more depth to a stereo image.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.