Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Talk to me about IEMs

Post by Basket Case »

Hi all,

I've just (re)joined a band that are all using IEMs, so I need to get a set. I'm pretty convinced that I want to go the custom mold route and I'm currently looking at a set of UE-5 Pros https://acoustixhearing.co.nz/shop-onli ... rs-ue5-pro

Does anyone have experience with IEMs and can offer advice regarding what to get? Where in AKL can I get my ears 3D scanned or whatever I need to do for the custom molding?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Talk to me about IEMs

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Custom molds are worth the silly money - you'll get far better sound quality, comfort and user experience.

I'd highly, highly recommend soft silicone IEM's - in my opinion they are better in every single way, more comfortable, better seal. I don't know if you sing, but I have found silicone to be way better for singing.

https://www.pacificears.co.nz/product-c ... -monitors/ I'm going to get a set for next years' touring.

When you buy online, get a recommendation for an audiologist. Do buy local, for better support - I had one set of IEMs that needed tweaks to the fit and had to make a round trip back to the USA, that wasn't cool. My current set are Sensaphonics and they are really good.

In terms of wireless gear, I think the Sennheiser G4 system is great. I've got a G4 system in one band rack and an older G2 system in the other rack. 3rd band I don't sing apart from a few BV's and just play with no monitors and earplugs in.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 am Custom molds are worth the silly money - you'll get far better sound quality, comfort and user experience.

I'd highly, highly recommend soft silicone IEM's - in my opinion they are better in every single way, more comfortable, better seal. I don't know if you sing, but I have found silicone to be way better for singing.

https://www.pacificears.co.nz/product-c ... -monitors/ I'm going to get a set for next years' touring.

When you buy online, get a recommendation for an audiologist. Do buy local, for better support - I had one set of IEMs that needed tweaks to the fit and had to make a round trip back to the USA, that wasn't cool. My current set are Sensaphonics and they are really good.

In terms of wireless gear, I think the Sennheiser G4 system is great. I've got a G4 system in one band rack and an older G2 system in the other rack. 3rd band I don't sing apart from a few BV's and just play with no monitors and earplugs in.
Yeah, I'll be doing BVs and the band has the wireless transmitters so I don't have to worry about that side of it. Is the soft silicone option you mention something that conforms to any ear shape or would I still need to get them custom made?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Custom made, but fucking good. When you sing, the shape of your ear canal flexes and changes. Soft silicon IEMs warp and shift slightly along with your ear. Back when I had hard plastic IEM I'd go for a big note and lose the seal all the time. I really think silicon is superior, but that might just be me as the hard IEMs seem to outsell soft by a long way.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Pseudo-custom IEMs can be a good option to test out before spending big bucks. The Shure SE series have fantastic isolation, and I think a modified SE-846 is one of the best IEMs I've ever heard.

I haven't heard the cheaper end of the Ultimate Ears lineup, but the Reference Remastered is easy to love, if not the most exciting out there.

I'm a massive fan of 64 Audio. Came very close to getting the A12t made earlier this year, but then Molly flashed a PRS in my direction. I have the U10 currently, and it's technically the best IEM I've heard. If I were getting customs, I'd go for 64 Audio.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Shure SE line are really good, even the basic model (215??? I think) fits ok and sounds good. Sensaphonics make custom selves for them and they work and fit really well. they do look slightly goofy though as they stick out a bit.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

robthemac wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:29 am Pseudo-custom IEMs can be a good option to test out before spending big bucks. The Shure SE series have fantastic isolation, and I think a modified SE-846 is one of the best IEMs I've ever heard.

I haven't heard the cheaper end of the Ultimate Ears lineup, but the Reference Remastered is easy to love, if not the most exciting out there.

I'm a massive fan of 64 Audio. Came very close to getting the A12t made earlier this year, but then Molly flashed a PRS in my direction. I have the U10 currently, and it's technically the best IEM I've heard. If I were getting customs, I'd go for 64 Audio.
I'm completely new to the world of IEMs so this might be me being dumb, but I'm not sure how I could make wireless bluetooth earphones work. We have wireless transmitters sending to receivers which presumably I would need to physically plug into.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

You could make it work, but there will likely be issues with latency and I doubt that you'll get much noise isolation.

I've got an excessive number if you wanted to try some out.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 am
Thanks, I've sent them an email regarding cost and wait times. Any idea how much extra I should expect to pay for having ear impressions made?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Basket Case wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:25 am
Thanks, I've sent them an email regarding cost and wait times. Any idea how much extra I should expect to pay for having ear impressions made?
I think I paid $60 at the audiologist in Kamo.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

robthemac wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 am
Basket Case wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:25 am
I think I paid $60 at the audiologist in Kamo.
Great! I was expecting it would cost more.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

It turns out that the price of having the impressions made is included in the price anyway. I've just ordered these: https://www.pacificears.co.nz/product/e ... lour=clear