playing through headphones with spotify?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 843 times
Been liked: 359 times

playing through headphones with spotify?

Post by jimi »

wanting to set myself up to practice in early mornings / late at night on headphones and looking for recommendations on software or practice amps with bluetooth for quiet practice?

I used to use an iRig with my setlist loaded in, but I dont have a phone with a 3.5mm jack anymore. I do have the Katana mini with an Aux in and a headphone jack, but no way to get my phone out to 3.5mm (could buy a bluetooth receiver), and my headsets are all bluetooth too.

I also have an old M-Audio Fast track USB interface, but know nothing about the software to go with it, assuming it will even work on Win10.

So loads of questions...

What are you using for headphones?
Would the Boss WAZA headphones work?
Can I send my backing tracks there?
How about the Spark amp?
Or is there some free amp software that I can use on my with the interface and mix with spotify?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: playing through headphones with spotify?

Post by willow13 »

jimi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:58 pm

I used to use an iRig with my setlist loaded in, but I dont have a phone with a 3.5mm jack anymore
so your phone is a lightning connect? you can get adaptors that do lightning to jack..check your local BP for them (around $29)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

what's this practice thing you speak of? isn't it easier to buy a new guitar to get better?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

I have USB-C to headphone adapters that are of no good to me anymore, if that's any help.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

AiRdAd wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:28 pm what's this practice thing you speak of? isn't it easier to buy a new guitar to get better?
well right now I am using researching how to practice quietly as an excuse for not practicing. Once I've nailed this one I'll go back to guitar shopping.

Have a gig in a fortnight, and last time playing with the band there was a whole lot of lockdown rust.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

I could sell you one of these: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVALOG ... Setup-Long used to use it with the THR-10X I had... would do the trick with the katana mini too :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:18 pm I could sell you one of these: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVALOG ... Setup-Long used to use it with the THR-10X I had... would do the trick with the katana mini too :)
good idea, thanks - I have one of those plugged into the stereo, gets me half way at least. To think I threw out a not awful pair of Sony headphones with a 3m cable recently because who uses wired headphones these days?

More I look at the Waza air the more tempted I am though. need to see if anyone else is making a budget version to go with my supermarket box of beer budget.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

https://www.familymusic.co.nz/product/nuxmightyplug/

Hedphone amp for guitar with Bluetooth for sending music to.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Sorry looks like those are out of stock now. Mighty Lite is another option, portable battery amp with Bluetooth, effects etc.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I'm biased of course, but my BOSS WAZA Airs are the absolute best and most inspiring piece of "at home" gear that I've ever had. Their amplike "feel" under the fingers shits all over iRig in my opinion.
Great for playing along with Spotify. Would highly recommend.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

I'm waiting for the Pocket GT!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'd recommend a physical thing which does require apps and computers. Anything that needs software upgrades grinds my gears and can fuck off. I have a 11rack for a silent practice rig, can easily plug headphones in and go. Boss Kat is a greta choice, and Blackstar make a similar thing

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I love the idea of a Boss Waza Air, but way to spendy for me at the moment.

If you're using an iPhone you can get a headphone adapter (as has already been stated) for a couple of NZ$ that will give you a 3.5mm jack, I'm sure there's the same for Android and USB C, similarly you can get a bluetooth wifi adapter for not too much cash (I got an ATH one 2nd hand and it's been brilliant, that effectively gives you a 3.5mm port as well.

Once you've got that sorted I've had success in the past using the awesome Blackstar Fly stereo practice amp (which I'm sure I got 2nd hand for not much more than NZ$100 locally), takes feed from my phone for playing along with and has headphone socket, totally quiet and worked well (I eventually added in a tiny USB mixer I had on hand to get some better mixing control but not needed.

I also use my Katana Head these days in a similar way, headphones cut the speaker so totally silent.

Both amps had enough tones to use for silent practice.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Great tips thanks all - yeah the Waza air does look amazing, but its the ferrari sized solution for my toyota sized problem. Definitely got me thinking about it, but pricey for another toy that I didnt know I needed this time last week.

Bluetooth dongle into the Katana mini for the aux in, and then finding a headset with a 3.5mm jack will get me there and should cost no $$.

Mr_Sooty's Nux plug appeals for less cables and just plug and play at a cheap price, so tempted by that.

I'm not much of a tone connoisseur, and its more a means to an end for practicing when everyone else at home is asleep, than impressing the cat with my sweet sweet guitar tone.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm liking the look of the wazza headphones. Haven't ever seen a second hand set for sale though.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.