Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

advice-mixer/recorder

Post by Kris »

So we've had a departure from our shed which has meant our shared mixer has gone. I was looking to get a version of SD/HD recorder anyway but of course its a case of nothing doing both tasks equally well.Something like a zoom l12 or tascam dp24 is what i was thinking but that might be a bit much for some of the other vocalists who arent as WHIZTECH as myself.Any other reccs? i know MEHringer/mackie make a few mixers with usb recording capabilty but i assume they are mostly 2 channel sums? Or just a small desk to pass thru to powered speakers and do the actual recording on the dedicated unit? budget is sub1k or thereabouts.chur team

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: advice-mixer/recorder

Post by mrmofo »

I have a small A&H mixer with a USB out I use at work.

it has 4 mic channels and two or so line ins.

if the USB out connects to the DAW on your laptop you might be in business with something like that? I think it was under 1K
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

How many mic inputs do you need?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:59 pm How many mic inputs do you need?
ideally 8,as then we can get a full capture going at rehearsal.Not overworried about copious spill.serious tracking will be more contained.thought about a zoom H8 for a while but its not really suited to dual duty like im thinking.The outs on most of the H range are crappy 1/8" phono jacks

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

mrmofo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 pm I have a small A&H mixer with a USB out I use at work.

it has 4 mic channels and two or so line ins.

if the USB out connects to the DAW on your laptop you might be in business with something like that? I think it was under 1K
id like to stay clear of anything that needs more external gear,a few of the USB equipped mixers will dump to thumb drives but i think thats starting to get up therre in price

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

We use a Tascam 16. It's a great mixer which obviously has the ability to record to sd. We usually run stereo outs to a camera that is recording while we play, but we still have the ability to record all 16 tracks individually, which enables some post processing in a DAW if I get the urge or if we happen to hit upon something special (special for us anyway :wink: ). It replaced a Behringer, which was a bit hissy and underwhelming.
We have also recorded/mixed through my old Tascam multitracker. Does the job of the mixer well enough, has all the eq capability , insert effects etc, but what I like most is the ability to playback through after a song and be able to tweak levels, eq and even master there and then if need be. Once the mixer has written to SD card, there is no tweaking capability during playback, therefore going down the mixer route does tie you to a DAW I guess.

I use a Zoom R8 multitracker at home for on the fly stuff. Looking at moving to an R16. I really rate these machines. R16 is still super portable, (throw it in a bag) whereas a 16 track mixer really needs a flight case IMO($$).

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

cheers! yeah im a big fan of zoom having owned a few of the H series,the onboard condensors of the r16 are a def bonus for zero hassle on the fly captures of new riffs.Id do all the tweaking at home anyway so getting good captures is the main goal.it this what model you have? Blutooth would be handy for running my ipad with less BITS as well !

https://avstore.co.nz/wp-content/upload ... 0c7d06.jpg

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Yes, that's the one. The BT is certainly handy!! It's certainly still new for us, but so far, can't fault it.