jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Neural DSP Quad Cortex / Archetype Plugins Thread

Post by jhyang549 »

There's a really helpful reddit thread identifying what amps were modelled for each of their plugins.
Petrucci: Per u/JimboLodisC "looks like the new Petrucci is an acoustic sim for the Piezo amp and the other three amps are the 3 channels of a JP-2C"

Nolly: all amps have been modded by Nolly himself.

Amp 1 is a Bogner Shiva clean channel

Amp 2 is a 2203 Marshall JCM800

Amp 3 is a block-letter Peavey 5150

Amp 4 is a Victory V30 Countess modded to the point where it is barely recognizable according to a quote from Nolly

Plini:

Roland JC120

Friedman BE100

EVH 5150III (some newer EVH iteration of it). [Although it's been said that one of the amps is supposed to be a Divided by 13 amp.]

Abasi:

Amp 1 is probably based on a Morgan AC30 with the added Blend control for piezo-sequel tones

Amp 2 is the one no one really seemed to be sure about. Lack of a Mids control led people to believe it was some Orange, but it could just be a custom sound.

Amp 3 sounds like another version of a 5150 with the contour switches added

From another user: "I'm pretty sure the second and third amp from the abasi pugin are respectively: a Morgan boosted with a Friedman BE-OD pedal, and a Morgan boosted with the Abasi Pathos pedal. That's what his tones are based on in real life and all the knobs and switches match."

Fortin NTS: Fortin Satan Natas.

Fortin Nameless: Fortin Meshuggah signature amp (absolute monster on extended range guitars).

Tim Henson

Pink amp is a JCM800

Black amp is basically an acoustic simulator

Henson said channel 1 of the white amp is a Matchless. Channel 2 is an amp sim

Cory Wong: ??? (The first one is an original creation (DI run through an SSL channel strip and probably something else), the second one is some sort of mix of clean amps (Roland and Fender?), and the last one may or may not be modelled on a Dumble amp).

Per u/rsmseries

My best guess is that the Cory Wong Amp Snob is this Dumble Overdrive Special (it’s not his ODS, the estate sale thing is obviously a bit… I believe Mason of Vertex isn’t the owner, but has had it on loan from the owner for a while). This video was posted not too long before the Cory Wong plug in came out IIRC.

Gojira

Amp one is a vintage tube amp, but we don't know which. Could be a Fender.

Amp 2 is an EVH Blue channel per Nolly. (Note the 2nd cab is an IR using a 1967 20 watt greenback g12m25! Source is Nolly in a video where he is mostly nerding out about Vintage 30s.)

Amp 3 is most likely an evh 5150 of some sort.

And as for the difference between Parallax and Darkglass: They are pretty different animals with different goals in mind. Darkglass is a simulation of two pedals (B7K Ultra and the Vintage Ultra; the Vintage Ultra is voiced differently than the B7K (a bit more mid-focused than high-mid)) whereas Parallax is more of a mixing tool.

Parallax is essentially bass processing in a box (i.e. it does the usual parallel (actually three way) processing of bass signals for you). The advantage is that it gives you fast results, the disadvantage is that it doesn't let you choose what distortion or compression is used, i.e. not really giving you much if you know how to mix bass (see here and here for example) apart from maybe being a bit quicker, but then you might also want to consider Aurora DSP's Mammoth for that (which has three types of distortion but a bit more limited controls).

And in all cases: There's a a 14 day demo, so you can always try before you buy.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:55 pm

Would you consider this the millennial version of G3?
:lol: pretty much! I've met Plini when he played here in chch, he's a bit of a lad once he has a couple of drinks!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Had a bit of a wang on the Henson and Petrucci plugins, crikey, they're both really great, Petrucci probably more suited to my ambient leanings with the extra effects available, really impressive stuff!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:11 pm Had a bit of a wang on the Henson and Petrucci plugins, crikey, they're both really great, Petrucci probably more suited to my ambient leanings with the extra effects available, really impressive stuff!
I'm sure that there are plugins out there that can sound as good that are either free or a lot cheaper (like Audio Assault). But what got me hooked is its user interface, the aesthetics, how quick and easy it is to get a great sound. and how it collects all these features into one package.

They are also going to announce a new plugin at 1am tonight. It probably won't get discounted this year but I'm interested whether they'll focus on emulating a particular amp or a new archetype.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Rumours point to Rabea being the subject of the new plug-in, pretty excited to hear it!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I think the universe is telling me something with the timing of this release!

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

I'm somebody who is out of touch with the current state of guitar gods but is Rabea a big deal? I know him from YouTube but that's about it. It surprised me that this is the person NeuralDSP focuses on straight after John Petrucci. Like, John "Under a Glass Moon" Motherfucking Petrucci.

Are we gonna see Archetype: Beato soon? Archetype: Chappers? Archetype: Shull?
Last edited by jhyang549 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:44 am I'm somebody who is out of touch with the current state of guitar gods but is Rabea a big deal? I know him from YouTube but that's about it. It surprised me that this is the person NeuralDSP focuses on straight after John Petrucci.

Rabea to me always has great tone and is a killer player, I'd argue he has a larger fanbase amongst people who will buy the plugin than some of the other artists, and at the end of the day that is what a company is most interested in :rofl:

His plugin is actually looking like the most practical for my needs, mainly for the fuzz, octave, and synth which are all things I currently use pedals for, would be nice to have one uber plugin that can import bits from other ones you own though...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Just spent about 20 mins going thru presets and so forth on the Rabea plugin, super impressed, really my kind of tones, some incredible synth madness there too, HSS strat direct into my interface, was glorious!!

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am Just spent about 20 mins going thru presets and so forth on the Rabea plugin, super impressed, really my kind of tones, some incredible synth madness there too, HSS strat direct into my interface, was glorious!!
Because it's launched so close, it may be 30% off instead of 50% off on Black Friday. Or are you gonna take the plunge soon?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:59 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am Just spent about 20 mins going thru presets and so forth on the Rabea plugin, super impressed, really my kind of tones, some incredible synth madness there too, HSS strat direct into my interface, was glorious!!
Because it's launched so close, it may be 30% off instead of 50% off on Black Friday. Or are you gonna take the plunge soon?
I’ll hold out for a 30% off or better :mrgreen: I can see me using this a ton, very creative!!

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:44 am Are we gonna see Archetype: Beato soon? Archetype: Chappers? Archetype: Shull?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Guitarnerds podcast has a 30% off but it’s not working for the Rabea one :-(

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:51 am
jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:44 am I'm somebody who is out of touch with the current state of guitar gods but is Rabea a big deal? I know him from YouTube but that's about it. It surprised me that this is the person NeuralDSP focuses on straight after John Petrucci.

Rabea to me always has great tone and is a killer player, I'd argue he has a larger fanbase amongst people who will buy the plugin than some of the other artists, and at the end of the day that is what a company is most interested in :rofl:

His plugin is actually looking like the most practical for my needs, mainly for the fuzz, octave, and synth which are all things I currently use pedals for, would be nice to have one uber plugin that can import bits from other ones you own though...
And remember everyone it's 2022 - half of our "Guitar Gods" are old, dead, or haven't made good music for decades. Kids getting into digital guitar rigs these days probably have more affinity with (and influence from) Youtubers than any of the old guard poster pinups. An Archetype Timmons seems unlikely, but they did Petrucci so maybe... But I totally laughed at the idea of a Archetype Shull, Chappers or Beato :lol:

Love Rabea's playing and he seems like a really cool guy. Definitely will be checking this plugin out come Black Friday.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:13 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:51 am

And remember everyone it's 2022 - half of our "Guitar Gods" are old, dead, or haven't made good music for decades. Kids getting into digital guitar rigs these days probably have more affinity with (and influence from) Youtubers than any of the old guard poster pinups. An Archetype Timmons seems unlikely, but they did Petrucci so maybe... But I totally laughed at the idea of a Archetype Shull, Chappers or Beato :lol:

Love Rabea's playing and he seems like a really cool guy. Definitely will be checking this plugin out come Black Friday.
I'm really hoping for Archetype: McKnight in Q3 2023 myself. Amp 2 will be a Malin Amplification M-Type Preamp -> Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B M emulation via Binaural IRs.