Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: BOSS has joined the game (GT-1000CORE)

Post by mr_sooty »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm I'm a bit grumpy at line6 because my very expensive and <6 year old M20D mixer randomly stopped working and apparently they aren't designed to be fixed; rather they are designed to just have the mainboard replaced as that would be cheaper.

This is kinda the issue with all things digital right? It's what puts me off buying a Tonemaster amp. In my experience digital stuff rarely fails, but if it does it's pretty much fkd.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

mrmofo wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am
Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm That does look awesome. What I also like about it is that it's not line6.

I'm a bit grumpy at line6 because my very expensive and <6 year old M20D mixer randomly stopped working and apparently they aren't designed to be fixed; rather they are designed to just have the mainboard replaced as that would be cheaper. Except, line6 decided that 6 years is also far too long to support a product and hence mainboards are no longer replaceable.

Whereas I'm confident that Boss will continue to provide support for its products based on what I've seen of past history.
i dont believe the main board excuse, the main processor will go forever on anything well made as long as it suvives the first power up.

. its the power supply that dies in most cases.

saying that i`m still trynig to fix my ensoniq without even measuring the PS so what do i know.
That aligned with my way of thinking (and what I'd learnt by osmosis as a result of having a father who was cutting edge R&D for electronics his whole life). But they don't even bother checking what the problem is - physical damage from impact, water damage from humidity, a dry solder joint, anything - based (they say) on it being too expensive to check but what I suspect actually means is that they don't know how to fix it and because they've dumbed down service centres over the years, they just get trained to replace the mainboard because (whilst it is throwing the baby out with the bath water) it usually works.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

mr_sooty wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:44 am
Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm I'm a bit grumpy at line6 because my very expensive and <6 year old M20D mixer randomly stopped working and apparently they aren't designed to be fixed; rather they are designed to just have the mainboard replaced as that would be cheaper.

This is kinda the issue with all things digital right? It's what puts me off buying a Tonemaster amp. In my experience digital stuff rarely fails, but if it does it's pretty much fkd.
I don't mind stuff failing after 10 years because you've probably got the use out of it and being digital stuff its usually worthless after 10 years :) but 6 years for a mixer is a different beast.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

robthemac wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:43 am
werdna wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:39 am I watched the video. This is what I learned. The unit has effects including overdrives. Some effects loops. Not sure if it can be midi switched. Not sure what effects I can combine at the same time. Don't know what it will cost. The guitar player has good chops. I wish I could understand this stuff better.
Yeah the information provided so far has not been particularly informative.
Here's something I wrote that might help :)

https://www.boss.info/global/promos/gt-1000core/
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

slash-ed wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:13 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:43 am
werdna wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:39 am I watched the video. This is what I learned. The unit has effects including overdrives. Some effects loops. Not sure if it can be midi switched. Not sure what effects I can combine at the same time. Don't know what it will cost. The guitar player has good chops. I wish I could understand this stuff better.
Yeah the information provided so far has not been particularly informative.
Here's something I wrote that might help :)

https://www.boss.info/global/promos/gt-1000core/
Christ, that's so much more useful. Tell Roland to let you do the video next time.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

robthemac wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm
Christ, that's so much more useful. Tell Roland to let you do the video next time.
Haha I think the video looks super cool! Very futuristic. But yeah it's meant to be a bit of a flashy promo rather than an in-depth thing, so what I wrote sort of picks up where that leaves off :D

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

https://www.andertons.co.uk/boss-gt-100 ... ssor-pedal

looks like it's gonna be around the price of the FM3? guessing about $2k here

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

KNNZ wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm https://www.andertons.co.uk/boss-gt-100 ... ssor-pedal

mental price if it is! as the GT1000 is $1799
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

KNNZ wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm https://www.andertons.co.uk/boss-gt-100 ... ssor-pedal

The Rockshop actually has pretty competitive prices all things considered. My guess is more like 1399 or maybe a bit more.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

That’s what I’m hoping for but from experience when I was overseas I could get the HX Stomp for $900 but RS sells it here for around $1200? And the Iridium for $600 but in NZ cost $800

I bought my Stomp here and I couldn’t get it Any lower than $1200

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I remember buying a Pod XT Live for like $1400 back in the day so I guess it's all relative.
Loving it so far

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Looks like GT-1000CORE has landed in NZ! Which means it's probably a good time to share this bunch of 10 utility patches that I made for anyone beginning their journey with the CORE. There's a whole bunch of fun stuff in here including 4 cable, looping, guitar AND bass at the same time, as well as some advanced routing stuff to give you effects-only to a stage amp while still feeding the PA with an amp/cab simulated out.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

slash-ed wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 am

Looks like GT-1000CORE has landed in NZ! Which means it's probably a good time to share this bunch of 10 utility patches that I made for anyone beginning their journey with the CORE. There's a whole bunch of fun stuff in here including 4 cable, looping, guitar AND bass at the same time, as well as some advanced routing stuff to give you effects-only to a stage amp while still feeding the PA with an amp/cab simulated out.
I wish there were more informative, simple demo videos like this on YouTube. You don't repeatedly tell us that you're a professional musician, wank needlessly up and down the fretboard, or try and sell your training course.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Definitely looks like a neat piece of kit. IMHO I reckon sound-wise all of the top brands that do the big 'all-in-one' multi effects are probably going to be ball park with regards to their audio quality. I recently got the HeadRush Gigboard and I have really been impressed, I feel like it's quite a big jump up from the Boss MD-500 that I had before it. The leslie/rotary, phaser and vibes are all better to my ears on the Gigboard; I also struggled a little with the MD-500 not being massively intuitive, I had to resort to the manual on a few occasions

Can't knock Boss, what they do is great but hopefully with this one they have dialed that user friendliness in a little better

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Mini Forklift wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am Definitely looks like a neat piece of kit. IMHO I reckon sound-wise all of the top brands that do the big 'all-in-one' multi effects are probably going to be ball park with regards to their audio quality. I recently got the HeadRush Gigboard and I have really been impressed, I feel like it's quite a big jump up from the Boss MD-500 that I had before it. The leslie/rotary, phaser and vibes are all better to my ears on the Gigboard; I also struggled a little with the MD-500 not being massively intuitive, I had to resort to the manual on a few occasions

Can't knock Boss, what they do is great but hopefully with this one they have dialed that user friendliness in a little better
The 500 series can definitely take a bit of effort to get into - the main quirk being that the engineers built in SO much ability to go into every parameter and customize everything down to the most minute detail, but because there's so much control, it's almost like they elected for the default settings to be a bit too middle of the road...

For me that's where the 200 series fits perfectly - in the process of trimming down all the deep dive control, they really honed in on some GREAT sounding parameters and baked them into the pedal. Much easier for someone like me who isn't a deep dive tone savant.

GT-1000 is very similar in that respect - the underlying algorithms are the same but the control parameters have been streamlined compared to the original 500, so I'd guess that you'd find the sounds a bit more immediate and plug and play than your MD-500.