Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

#862607
jeremyb wrote:HA! Yes, that does sound good, theres a lot of delay and reverb on that, did you add it post or is it the katana effects?

By proper I mean an IR :)


I never add anything in post if I can help it. And generally I don't need to, whether it's Katana or GT-1000 or Waza Tube Amp Expander, they all have most of the standard stuff that I need :D

Haha well you're missing my point here. IRs in their current form are a fairly recent thing in the grand scheme. More traditional cab sims have been around for a LONG time and I think they've certainly earned the right to be called "proper" ;)

And you haven't even tried the recording out on the Katana yet! And yet here you are arguing about it on the internet :lol: :lol: :lol:
#862612
slash-ed wrote:
jeremyb wrote:HA! Yes, that does sound good, theres a lot of delay and reverb on that, did you add it post or is it the katana effects?

By proper I mean an IR :)


I never add anything in post if I can help it. And generally I don't need to, whether it's Katana or GT-1000 or Waza Tube Amp Expander, they all have most of the standard stuff that I need :D

Haha well you're missing my point here. IRs in their current form are a fairly recent thing in the grand scheme. More traditional cab sims have been around for a LONG time and I think they've certainly earned the right to be called "proper" ;)

And you haven't even tried the recording out on the Katana yet! And yet here you are arguing about it on the internet :lol: :lol: :lol:


Hey I did have a disclaimer on my post :mental: does the recording out mute the speaker out? I could record both at once and settle it once and for all :lol:
#862622
jeremyb wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
jeremyb wrote:HA! Yes, that does sound good, theres a lot of delay and reverb on that, did you add it post or is it the katana effects?

By proper I mean an IR :)


I never add anything in post if I can help it. And generally I don't need to, whether it's Katana or GT-1000 or Waza Tube Amp Expander, they all have most of the standard stuff that I need :D

Haha well you're missing my point here. IRs in their current form are a fairly recent thing in the grand scheme. More traditional cab sims have been around for a LONG time and I think they've certainly earned the right to be called "proper" ;)

And you haven't even tried the recording out on the Katana yet! And yet here you are arguing about it on the internet :lol: :lol: :lol:


Hey I did have a disclaimer on my post :mental: does the recording out mute the speaker out? I could record both at once and settle it once and for all :lol:


Recording out mutes the speaker. Line out does not.

Anyway, it's already been done:

#862689
sizzlingbadger wrote:


Lol I may be remembering wrong but isn't an AMP1 like $1400 NZD? Not really in the "affordable" category. Rockshop aren't showing them on the website so I guess they're not distributing them any more...

Cool piece of gear though! I did a video on one when Matt was getting them in.

#863050
rickenbackerkid wrote:
griff7628 wrote:Laney IRT studio is a sleeper piece of gear. I got one for $450 on marketplace. Not a modeler, an actual tube rack amp, but has the versatility of a modeler.
3 channels. Clean (a very decent clean at that), Crunch and lead with built in boost and reverb that are all switchable.
I love the tone of all 3 channels on mine. So I ended up buying the 60 watt combo too.
<1 watt input and also a 15 watt input. Loud enough to gig with.
Built in load and headphone out so you can record without a cab connected in silence.
Built in interface. Hook up via usb to ya comp and set up so ya DAW recognises it.
Re-amping feature too.
Ticks a lot of boxes.

I have a 3 button Atomic Amplifire too that I'm in love with. There is no bullshit digital artifacts coming out of the AA like I've heard with other modelers.
But I run mine through fx returns of my tube amps. It sound like the real deal to me.


That Laney looks wicked! anyone got more of them $450 ones?


There's one on TM now for $500 buy now.
#863749
jeremyb wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:Ed, what is a KOC like as a direct recording - does it do speaker modelling and the whole deal? the bassist in my band has a Big Black KOC and it's a great sounding amp but I've never tried it direct.


Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally as I'm intending to mic mine up for recording, but most reports I've heard are they sound really thin if you record direct, and I think its fundamentally a lack of proper cabinet simulation and adding an IR loader makes a huge difference!

I guess even superman has kryptonite :mrgreen:


I'm going to retract this statement entirely, have tried out the recording today after a quick check with Ed as to what sort of cable to use between the rec out and my interface (standard guitar lead is all you need) and blimey, might as well sell my microphones... Family will be relieved by the quiet recording too, missus struggled to open the bedroom door due to the sound pressure lol
#863828
jeremyb wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:Ed, what is a KOC like as a direct recording - does it do speaker modelling and the whole deal? the bassist in my band has a Big Black KOC and it's a great sounding amp but I've never tried it direct.


Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally as I'm intending to mic mine up for recording, but most reports I've heard are they sound really thin if you record direct, and I think its fundamentally a lack of proper cabinet simulation and adding an IR loader makes a huge difference!

I guess even superman has kryptonite :mrgreen:


I'm going to retract this statement entirely, have tried out the recording today after a quick check with Ed as to what sort of cable to use between the rec out and my interface (standard guitar lead is all you need) and blimey, might as well sell my microphones... Family will be relieved by the quiet recording too, missus struggled to open the bedroom door due to the sound pressure lol


Really glad that you've come around to the Recording Out! I honestly haven't ever felt the need to mic a Katana for recording. And in general I mean I haven't miked a guitar amp in about 5-6 years.
#863829
slash-ed wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally as I'm intending to mic mine up for recording, but most reports I've heard are they sound really thin if you record direct, and I think its fundamentally a lack of proper cabinet simulation and adding an IR loader makes a huge difference!

I guess even superman has kryptonite :mrgreen:


I'm going to retract this statement entirely, have tried out the recording today after a quick check with Ed as to what sort of cable to use between the rec out and my interface (standard guitar lead is all you need) and blimey, might as well sell my microphones... Family will be relieved by the quiet recording too, missus struggled to open the bedroom door due to the sound pressure lol


Really glad that you've come around to the Recording Out! I honestly haven't ever felt the need to mic a Katana for recording. And in general I mean I haven't miked a guitar amp in about 5-6 years.


I do fall into the trap often of taking what I read on the internet as truth... need to try these things for myself :rofl:

Its certainly solved a number of problems for me, now I have monitors I'm looking forward to hearing it thru those now and not just headphones :mrgreen: