sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Studio Monitors

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'm thinking of adding a couple of studio monitors to my TV. I just want something better than the built-in speakers that I can drive from the headphone socket on the TV. Anyone know if these are any good ?

Presonus Eris E3.5BT

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 15eff7-002
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: Studio Monitors

Post by jeremyb »

Better off with a soundbar IMO, especially one with a sub, surroundy goodness!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Disagree. I have never found a soundbar that I liked. They're great in terms of being compact, but if I had the space I'd always go for floor-standing or bookshelf.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I don't want a surround sound / sound bar thing, not keen on them. I used to run my TV through my Merdian floor-standing active speakers, it was freaking amazing, but I sold them when we moved house a couple of years back.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

A good set of studio monitors isn't the greatest option for TV due to the (hopefully) flat and un-hyped sound.

I've used B&W's, Mission and KEF's Book shelf and mid stacks to great effect. The added bonus is that you can get a good set for reasonably cheap on the second hand market due to sound bars and other mono oriented devices that have pushed their way into being the norm thanks to people listening to phones and laptops.

That's just my 2c. Good set of book shelf or Mid sized towers will kill a set of studio oriented monitors when it comes to the overall experience.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 934 times

Post by Reg18 »

dayl wrote:A good set of studio monitors isn't the greatest option for TV due to the (hopefully) flat and un-hyped sound.

I've used B&W's, Mission and KEF's Book shelf and mid stacks to great effect. The added bonus is that you can get a good set for reasonably cheap on the second hand market due to sound bars and other mono oriented devices that have pushed their way into being the norm thanks to people listening to phones and laptops.

That's just my 2c. Good set of book shelf or Mid sized towers will kill a set of studio oriented monitors when it comes to the overall experience.
I agree with this, I used a set of Samson 8” studio motions for a while with our TV and it never sounded quite right due to the flat response.
I’ve also owned a couple of sound bars which I was never happy with.
I have a full set of B&W speakers now and have been very happy with the sound!
I take down my rear surrounds to use as studio monitors when I need to do recording and they sound really good for that too (my rear surrounds are B&W DM600 S3) they cost me around $120 S/H and I have a cheap power amp to run them for studio use.
There would always be a compromise one way or the other though, especially at this price.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

But then I need to buy an amp have even more shit sitting under the TV, I may do that though.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

sizzlingbadger wrote:But then I need to buy an amp have even more shit sitting under the TV, I may do that though.
Yeah I see what you mean. Depending on the area you are looking to fill, Audio engine PC speakers may have something that works? I know the term PC Speakers may be off putting a lil but I put some on the kids tv for out spare upstairs TV area and they are awesome and active. Pretty good sound.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

sizzlingbadger wrote:But then I need to buy an amp have even more shit sitting under the TV, I may do that though.
It's not so bad having an amp under the tv.