Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY chur
One of the main reasons I got the Katana was for the 'everyday use', no valves to wear out or warm up, and if you only have 10 mins for a quick noodle it's ready to go at the flick of a switch.
Obviously grunty enough for a gig too and takes pedals well.
I'd like to try out a Nextone one day as probably suits my use also.
BY slash-ed
Going back to original comment about getting your drive and effects from pedals, I asked Brett Kingman to do this exact test with a Nextone amp. It's a great pedal platform imo, and the versatility of the voicings means it's potentially 4 great pedal platforms (while still being really easy to drive if you don't care about deep editing).

https://youtu.be/5UttgNc1ZXI

(Can someone help embed that please I'm on my phone and can't get the right link)
BY Bg
Tweed 5E3....
BY chur
sizzlingbadger wrote:

That yellow guitar did nothing for me visually, especially with the tasty units right behind him distracting me..

I'd be really curious how far apart a normal Katana is from this amp in real life.
BY GrantB
That Nextone sounded pretty good. No mega X factor but pretty good. The power amp section was remarkably on point.
BY sizzlingbadger
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Could change, but right now I’m leaning towards the Supro Blues King 15w combo

Bugger! I want one now I've seen the demos.
BY codedog
sizzlingbadger wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Could change, but right now I’m leaning towards the Supro Blues King 15w combo

That's a cracking amp!
BY Molly
codedog wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:

That's a cracking amp!

I thought I'd check it out and got twenty seconds into this demo before I heard the most horrible, fizzy, mushy-bass tone.... Am I missing something?

Clean was nice.

Have you considered a Victory? $1,500 will get you most heads second-hand I reckon.
BY Lawrence
sizzlingbadger wrote:I may sell my Mesa 5:50 Express 1x12 Combo in the new year, it has excellent Fender style cleans and some great drive options.

me too...buy both of them for stereo!
BY Slowy
Bandmate has a Katana 50. For slightly overdriven single coil tones, my rig eats it. But for crunch with a P90 Les Paul, it's excellent.
And within a band context, it works very well. Quite impressed, I am.
BY slash-ed
chur wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:

That yellow guitar did nothing for me visually, especially with the tasty units right behind him distracting me..

I'd be really curious how far apart a normal Katana is from this amp in real life.

Far apart in terms of which aspects? I've used both extensively of course, so I can try and describe the differences depending on what you're interested in :)