Spykerwolf
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Thomann collecting NZ GST

Post by Spykerwolf »

Thinking about grabbing a Boss Katana from there. Much cheaper!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Spykerwolf wrote:Thinking about grabbing a Boss Katana from there. Much cheaper!
Really? I would check your NZ Guitars price with Dave.

There's also the Rockshop price match, which considering the joys of getting stuff through Customs I would respectfully suggest is quite a good option.
Tin arse!!

Spykerwolf
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Spykerwolf »

Terexgeek wrote:
Spykerwolf wrote:Thinking about grabbing a Boss Katana from there. Much cheaper!

There's also the Rockshop price match, which considering the joys of getting stuff through Customs I would respectfully suggest is quite a good option.
So with Thomann collecting GST etc, you'll still be charged with import tax etc right?
Any way to know how much that is?

EDIT: If it's under 1k then you don't pay anything else:
https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... estimator/

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Stew-Mac are collecting GST at the checkout now too, it doesn't show up until you are most of the way through the checkout process.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Spykerwolf wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:

So with Thomann collecting GST etc, you'll still be charged with import tax etc right?
Any way to know how much that is?

EDIT: If it's under 1k then you don't pay anything else:
https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... estimator/
If it's over 1k you don't pay GST with the online retailer, it gets collected at the border, so if they are amenable you can get them to lower the value :mrgreen: thomann wouldn't I imagine, but some will ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So I might have tried to put something from Fender in my cart on Thomann a couple of days ago and when you get to the checkout phase it says sorry but Fender will not let them ship to NZ any more... so I guess thats how they solve the price discrepancy between them and NZ, however that doesn't solve the lack of availability of many models.... urgh....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

jeremyb wrote:So I might have tried to put something from Fender in my cart on Thomann a couple of days ago and when you get to the checkout phase it says sorry but Fender will not let them ship to NZ any more... so I guess thats how they solve the price discrepancy between them and NZ, however that doesn't solve the lack of availability of many models.... urgh....
What happens when you use the Youshop address for Europe?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Mattallica wrote:
jeremyb wrote:So I might have tried to put something from Fender in my cart on Thomann a couple of days ago and when you get to the checkout phase it says sorry but Fender will not let them ship to NZ any more... so I guess thats how they solve the price discrepancy between them and NZ, however that doesn't solve the lack of availability of many models.... urgh....

I assume you’d pay Euro 20% VAT, and then customs would put NZ 15% GST plus charges.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I assume you’d pay Euro 20% VAT, and then customs would put NZ 15% GST plus charges.
Good point! Painful. Would only be worth it if you had to have a euro only model

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

HackSaw wrote:
Mattallica wrote:

OUCH!! They also might refuse you for using a NZ credit card, might be able to get away with paypal but still... I think what I'll likely do if I can't find what I want locally is buy secondhand on reverb and avoid GST altogether, or maybe I'll give MJT a shout and get them to make me some relic bits :mental:

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

jeremyb wrote:
HackSaw wrote:
Mattallica wrote:

OUCH!! They also might refuse you for using a NZ credit card, might be able to get away with paypal but still... I think what I'll likely do if I can't find what I want locally is buy secondhand on reverb and avoid GST altogether, or maybe I'll give MJT a shout and get them to make me some relic bits :mental:
I believe third party sellers like Reverb also have to register.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
HackSaw wrote:
I believe third party sellers like Reverb also have to register.
For sure, but if you buy something over $1000 you don't pay gst and then you can ask the seller to set the value on the declaration lower :mental:

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

And second hand items can get around the regional dealer license restrictions...