Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Crazy to spend $6k on a Tele?

Post by Molly »

When I was over in England a couple of days ago I played this:

https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned- ... ned-p13159

It's second-hand and as near as makes no difference is priced at $6k. Gear is definitely more expensive here and with the pound taking a shit it's only going to get worse.

I'd be nuts to, eh? Really like it though. Hngh....

Mini Forklift

Re: Crazy to spend $6k on a Tele?

Post by Mini Forklift »

What's your gut telling you, did you feel like you connected with it when you played it? Just out of interest how did it compare to that blonde Nocaster you owned a few years back? Personally if I had the cash and it's not going to affect anyone by getting it, I probably would.

FWIW if/when I own a Tele I hope it looks like that one, it's a looker. Seems like the Custom Shop have done a good job this time round

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

there is a real 68 tele on trade me at the moment for 6k
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

willow13 wrote:there is a real 68 tele on trade me at the moment for 6k
Molly shoud just wire one of us the money and we can buy it for him - better get a move on though as it finishes tomorrow night :thumbup:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 2246979112

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Yum that Tele looks perfect :mrgreen:

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Yes, that’s crazy.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Funny, I really don't like that 'real' one at all.

I'm trying to rationalise an irrational decision. Usual thought process: If I bought x in NZ I could get it and still keep y whereas in the UK I'd effectively have to give away y to make this happen. For example, I was recently offered a nice CS Strat in NZ for $3k. This is twice that... That's another guitar. So this one has to be incredible. I mean, $6k.... The Nocaster cost me $4k and I struggled to live with that. The Esquire was a bit special though...

FFS. It's not like this stuff doesn't sell. Every time I'm back on this shop's website the stock has changed despite me scoffing at some of the prices. Folk up here just don't know any different so happily pay up.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

It's crazy if a cheaper guitar will give you just as much pleasure, if you're doing it on a whim, or if you can't afford it.

Otherwise, knock yourself out. I've regretted buying cheaper guitars, but never regretted paying more for the right guitar.

Oh, and whoever offered you $3k for a nice CS Strat, please report them to your nearest hospital.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Common sense has no place here. It's such a fucking killjoy. I'm tempted to just get it. Two or three other guitars would be good but I've had loads of good guitars and they never get played. This one was a great guitar. That should be enough.

Edit: Found this demo of the same model.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

Oh common sense says no guitar is worth that amount of money. But if you have the disposable income and it will give you some degree of enduring happiness, it can still be a reasonable decision to buy it.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

That's a great looking Tele. I remember back in the early 90's, Go West music had 2 1965 Tele customs. Both were sunburst, one had a rosewood neck the other maple. They wanted 6K for the pair.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:Common sense has no place here. It's such a fucking killjoy. I'm tempted to just get it. Two or three other guitars would be good but I've had loads of good guitars and they never get played. This one was a great guitar. That should be enough.

Has a beautifully mellow tone. I think Charles Whitfil builds Tele's that sound like that. Seem to recall part of the magic was to do with fairly degaussed mags in the pu's and unusually A4's..Around 2.5k usa.
http://www.whitfillcustomguitars.com/index.html
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Funny, I really don't like that 'real' one at all.

I'm trying to rationalise an irrational decision. Usual thought process: If I bought x in NZ I could get it and still keep y whereas in the UK I'd effectively have to give away y to make this happen. For example, I was recently offered a nice CS Strat in NZ for $3k. This is twice that... That's another guitar. So this one has to be incredible. I mean, $6k.... The Nocaster cost me $4k and I struggled to live with that. The Esquire was a bit special though...

FFS. It's not like this stuff doesn't sell. Every time I'm back on this shop's website the stock has changed despite me scoffing at some of the prices. Folk up here just don't know any different so happily pay up.
Still, hard to move.

Does look awesome. But at that price, awesome alone is not enough.

You have to want it!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Common sense has no place here. It's such a fucking killjoy. I'm tempted to just get it. Two or three other guitars would be good but I've had loads of good guitars and they never get played. This one was a great guitar. That should be enough.

Oh crap!
Now I want it. :(
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

If it was Sonic Blue, no hesitation.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz