PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Crazy to spend $6k on a Tele?

Post by Jellybelly »

Looks so cool.
But given the money the Nocaster was and a resale on it.
Guess the question would be is how much am I happy to lose on the resale of this one?
Figure out what it is worth spending from there. :thumbup:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1046 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Molly's NoCaster was epicly good.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think for that kind of money I'd want a new one thats not all scuffed up.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

$6K for a guitar you really like? Not crazy at all.

Being what it is though, if you do a quick flick it will pain you!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:I think for that kind of money I'd want a new one thats not all scuffed up.
Its like shop seconds or something eh? ;)

No not crazy. I ended up forking out $5k for my LP back in the day - by the time finance charges were added on. I got 14 or 15 years of pleasure for that cash.

R9's were about 8k at the time IIRC, and the one the rockshop had was in a glass case....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

el byrdo wrote:Yes it's crazy!

buy vintage that will appreciate and keep it!
Yep those Vintage gats are designed by Wilkinson.

;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1207 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

My Classic Vibe probably sounds and plays very similar to that one. No modern Tele is work $6k.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

It isn't crazy to spend $6k on a tele, provided you have the money (i.e. you don't need to go into debt to pay for it) and plan on keeping it long term (5+ years) -- if you really enjoy the guitar and play it often the $6k will feel like it was worth it over the long run. But if you just want to play it for a few months (or even years) and sell it, then you'll probably lose a lot of money. So in that case it definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

sizzlingbadger wrote:My Classic Vibe probably sounds and plays very similar to that one. No modern Tele is work $6k.
It's all a matter of perspective and means, but I think there are some modern instruments which are worth it. They are definitely few and far between. Most of the $2000+ guitars for sale just aren't worth it, let alone the megabucks Custom Shop or boutique ones.

I haven't found a Tele that I'd pay $6k for, yet. There was one Strat I played that I've never forgiven myself for not purchasing, and it was 'only' about $3800 from memory. There have been a few basses that I think were far better than their sticker price, and I wouldn't kick myself for paying more for. Never played an LP that I thought was worth its sticker price. There have been a few Taylor acoustics that punch well above their weight.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Molly wrote:When I was over in England a couple of days ago I played this:

https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned- ... ned-p13159

It's second-hand and as near as makes no difference is priced at $6k. Gear is definitely more expensive here and with the pound taking a shit it's only going to get worse.

I'd be nuts to, eh? Really like it though. Hngh....
"Please note that we are selling this guitar on commission for one of our customers."
Tell them you can get a brand new custom shop blackguard for the same price.
https://reverb.com/item/15123406-fender ... yman-relic

Offer them 1750.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:If it was Sonic Blue, no hesitation.
There's a room given over to PRS and nothing else. Some very posh guitars indeed. I played this 594 SC and it was bright, 'alive' / super resonant (however you want to describe that stuff). Check-out the neck on it:

https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned- ... ned-p12456

It's since sold but I noted, as I have in the past, that in comparison to PRS CS Fenders should be a lot cheaper than they are. This 594 was the same price as the Tele at $6k. Crazy by NZ standards I guess.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Reading the spec on this and don't fully understand the wiring:

"The pair of Custom Shop Loaded Nocaster pickups includes a hand-wound loaded single-coil bridge pickup and open-loaded neck pickups, both wired to the three-way pickup switch with our tonally flexible “Modified ’51 Nocaster” wiring. Position 3 selects the neck pickup alone, with a .001uF capacitor and 10K resistor for a highly usable rhythm tone with slightly rolled-off volume and tone. Position 2 offers the neck pickup alone, wired directly to the volume pot, while Position 1 offers the bridge pickup alone, with volume and blend pot to mix in the neck pickup to taste."

What does open-loaded mean?

I'm wondering how close I could get my maple / ash Baja Tele to the tone of this one. Acoustically my Baja sounds brittle and the Broadcaster / Twisted Tele pickup combination isn't the best I've heard even though I've upgraded the wiring / pots etc. It just lacks the 'body' of my old Nocaster or the one in the demo above. How far do I dig into it? I could strip the poly and see if that helps. Change the pickups to the configuration above? Both?

This demo provides a good example. The one with the Joe Barden pickups doesn't have the harsh edge of the stock one.

Dharmajester wrote:
Has a beautifully mellow tone.
Just quoting you in Steve as I'd like your thoughts on the above. Recall thinking about my Nocaster that you could play anything on it and it'd sound great. Much like Rabea's demo.

Edit: Answering my own questions. Doesn't look like the pickups are available other than on a guitar.

Maybe I can just dive into the Baja and try to replicate the CS Double Esquire. How hard is it to add binding...? :-)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Post by Reg18 »

Grant added binding to that Warmoth Tele Cabronita I had but because it already has a rounded over edge on a finished guitar it was difficult I think.
That Nocaster you brought to gearfest once was the nicest sounding Tele I’ve played, what pickups did that have? Although I suspect the careful selection of woods and a good setup was probably half the equation on that one too!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Reg18 wrote:Grant added binding to that Warmoth Tele Cabronita I had but because it already has a rounded over edge on a finished guitar it was difficult I think.
That Nocaster you brought to gearfest once was the nicest sounding Tele I’ve played, what pickups did that have? Although I suspect the careful selection of woods and a good setup was probably half the equation on that one too!
It had something for sure. The pickups were the same as those on the left in the above pic. The buyer went on to rotate a series of pickups through the bridge so I can only assume he wasn't happy with them.

My Baja has the bones of a good Tele but it's getting it over that last 5% line. Close but not quite. Do you chase it or cut your losses and go spendy?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1207 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Just change the pickups in the Baja. If you decide to sell it after you return to NZ let me know :moresarc:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...