Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Disappointing product range in NZ

Post by Molly »

Polar Bear wrote: God forbid you slip up on any of these, as Captain Anderton will have the consumer’s money in a heartbeat.
But Captain Anderton is also running a physical business. Not like it's online v physical premises. But, yes, most of us know fuck all about what it's like to run a retail premises.

Edit: I had occasion to phone Andertons today about my Suhr. They've taken it back as they weren't able to provide an Article 10 certificate for the Brazilian fretboard. Correspondence over the matter has been swift, apologetic and polite. They've covered all costs without complaint and a full refund has been given. Just sayin'. That kind of service could have something to do with their success.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:
I know of only one in NZ, to my eyes the Steve Stevens looks like a special put through the sander with a trem. LIKE!
probably a bargain at that price considering what it is
Have another look at the back of that one and tell me if you think an extra screw has been added at the neck heel? Wondering if it's had some kind of repair there.

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/pr ... e-used.htm

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:
I know of only one in NZ, to my eyes the Steve Stevens looks like a special put through the sander with a trem. LIKE!
probably a bargain at that price considering what it is
Have another look at the back of that one and tell me if you think an extra screw has been added at the neck heel? Wondering if it's had some kind of repair there.

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/pr ... e-used.htm

There was a strap button there as per this one:
https://reverb.com/nz/item/9666371-hame ... ens-guitar

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote: Have another look at the back of that one and tell me if you think an extra screw has been added at the neck heel? Wondering if it's had some kind of repair there.
I thought there had been a repair judging by the photos, is there a crack in the paint where the neck joins the body?
hard to tell from the photos. but as pointed out, looks to be where a strap button once was.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by klarkash-ton »

higainer wrote:
MakoGat wrote:So if some more products / options were available locally would you still shop overseas given perhaps paying the GST on more expensive items?
It would depend.
I prefer to support the local guys, so if it’s not that much more here, I’ll stay local.
Benefits would be trying the product, & warranty.
Locally sourced big ticket items like amps can give you piece of mind if things go south.
However a reputable overseas builder that stands behind their product is just as safe.
Keep buying overseas and watch more MusicWorks stores close (see Porirua), then watch all the other chains slow down, shut up shop and eventually there'll only be online buying only.

Online is perfect for trying out equipment, and email is always better for customer service than in person, and warranty's overseas totally beat NZ consumer protection law, it also helps out young people who are just getting into music know they are best served with social recommendations than their own experience. Let's not forget how cool it is to send a Head back overseas for warranty and paying shipping there and back and getting customs/IRD to make sure you were treated fairly.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I found the price difference (even after paying GST at customs) are more than enough to pay the local repair cost if it does break during the warranty period. Not to mention that most problems occurs after that...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:yep, stuff under $400 is going to get gst...
Only from sellers who subscribe to the scheme tho' isn't it?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb wrote:
Bg wrote:yep, stuff under $400 is going to get gst...
Only from sellers who subscribe to the scheme tho' isn't it?
Ok, so it's from overseas sellers who turnover $60,000 or more from NZ buyers and items < $1000, lots of the guitar etailers should be safe then!

Also bonus, they'll only collect gst at the border for items over $1000, so stuff in the $400 - $1000 range won't be taxed unless the seller is turning over $60,000 seems like a massive win for many consumers!

It's also not coming in till 1 dec 2019 now :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

klarkash-ton wrote:
higainer wrote:
MakoGat wrote:So if some more products / options were available locally would you still shop overseas given perhaps paying the GST on more expensive items?
It would depend.
I prefer to support the local guys, so if it’s not that much more here, I’ll stay local.
Benefits would be trying the product, & warranty.
Locally sourced big ticket items like amps can give you piece of mind if things go south.
However a reputable overseas builder that stands behind their product is just as safe.
Keep buying overseas and watch more MusicWorks stores close (see Porirua), then watch all the other chains slow down, shut up shop and eventually there'll only be online buying only.

Online is perfect for trying out equipment, and email is always better for customer service than in person, and warranty's overseas totally beat NZ consumer protection law, it also helps out young people who are just getting into music know they are best served with social recommendations than their own experience. Let's not forget how cool it is to send a Head back overseas for warranty and paying shipping there and back and getting customs/IRD to make sure you were treated fairly.

Yes agreed.

If we are talking about brand new gear.
Offshore items purchased were/are not available here ie: VHT/Fryette, Rhodes/KSR.
Reputable builders.
Fryette blew a fuse, no biggie.
Rhodes was a different story, but he got it sorted AND paid the shipping both ways.

Like I said local guys are supported.
Rockshop & Amp Shop for gear & modding services when it was in business.
Local guys were/are not affected from my offshore purchases.

The rest my gear is 2nd hand.
Hope this clarifies.
Last edited by higainer on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

klarkash-ton wrote:

but to get back to the OP, it is pretty hard to support local if they don't stock what you want (which is 95% of the time with things I buy) then them going out of business is no big deal at all ... sorry but that is just the truth

I remember a dozen years ago I had a specific guitar I had the $$ in my hand to buy and was told buy the RS that it would take 3 to 4 months for them to get it...sorry but that does not cut it when I can get it shipped in 14-21 days from 'merica (back when shipping was cheap)
Last edited by willow13 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

klarkash-ton wrote:... it also helps out young people who are just getting into music...
I suspect young people would be the ones for whom online shopping would be the most natural way to buy gear. They'll demo it online, use social media to discuss the merits and shop-around for the lowest price with fastest delivery. It's just the older generation that want to smash the spinning jenny.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:
klarkash-ton wrote:... it also helps out young people who are just getting into music...
I suspect young people would be the ones for whom online shopping would be the most natural way to buy gear. They'll demo it online, use social media to discuss the merits and shop-around for the lowest price with fastest delivery. It's just the older generation that want to smash the spinning jenny.
don't agree..the "young people" are most likely the ones who buy local so they can use finance to buy?
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Got denied finance on an se cu24 years ago :lol:
If I’m buying online from NZ based, is it local or online?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

services like AfterPay are taking care of the finance equation for online retailers.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by klarkash-ton »

Guess my aged sarcasm wasn't strong enough.

Agree on the new gear, higainer.

Molly, I look forward to seeing them flip their gear after disappointment on TradeMe.

When music stores die in a city, it directly impacts music in the community, though not touring bands. Ever seen how gentrification can strip a city of millions of people its music stores and the places to rehearse and to play also die?

"young people" do buy online instead of local, just ask Dave of MusicWorks Porirua or better yet, ask many new musicians or young people their buying habits. Finance? As a teenager? The big purchases they do tend to buy from local chains, yes, but not the cheap guitars and pedals.

Economy of scale in NZ = limited choice. Just move and enjoy the spoils of the global world if dissatisfied. The chains have a business model with extremely slim margins and won't be changing anytime soon.

@ Rockshop today. Woman walks in wanting an electric drum kit. No idea about them whatsoever, gets info, sees kit, left looking pretty happy.