Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Disappointing product range in NZ

Post by klarkash-ton »

Single coil wrote:Got denied finance on an se cu24 years ago :lol:
If I’m buying online from NZ based, is it local or online?
You'd better be buying from the local shop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF7NmfnXZ0

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

klarkash-ton wrote: @ Rockshop today. Woman walks in wanting an electric drum kit. No idea about them whatsoever, gets info, sees kit, left looking pretty happy.
sadly that is a huge % of your (assuming you work at the rockshop, because that is how it is coming across) customer base now ... most seasoned players who have the $$ to buy will buy at the place they can get it ASAP ... which is probably online
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg

Post by klarkash-ton »

Work at rockshop? are you mad? where's the profit?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:
klarkash-ton wrote:... it also helps out young people who are just getting into music...
I suspect young people would be the ones for whom online shopping would be the most natural way to buy gear. They'll demo it online, use social media to discuss the merits and shop-around for the lowest price with fastest delivery. It's just the older generation that want to smash the spinning jenny.
don't agree..the "young people" are most likely the ones who buy local so they can use finance to buy?
The older more experienced people like nearly all of us on here know exactly what we want so its less of a gamble buying online, generally most of the stuff I buy online is because its not available here, can't see it hurting the local industry :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

klarkash-ton wrote:Work at rockshop? are you mad? where's the profit?
Well if you work there then why is profit important to you? now if you own it then yes big issue

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:
willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:
I suspect young people would be the ones for whom online shopping would be the most natural way to buy gear. They'll demo it online, use social media to discuss the merits and shop-around for the lowest price with fastest delivery. It's just the older generation that want to smash the spinning jenny.
don't agree..the "young people" are most likely the ones who buy local so they can use finance to buy?
The older more experienced people like nearly all of us on here know exactly what we want so its less of a gamble buying online, generally most of the stuff I buy online is because its not available here, can't see it hurting the local industry :)
agree..but then us old fullas are in theory more likely to spend bigger dollars than the younger ones so that will have an effect, although I get the impression shops in general prefer people to tick stuff up over paying outright for it (so they must be getting some sort of kick back from finance companies)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

willow13 wrote: but to get back to the OP, it is pretty hard to support local if they don't stock what you want (which is 95% of the time with things I buy) then them going out of business is no big deal at all ... sorry but that is just the truth

I remember a dozen years ago I had a specific guitar I had the $$ in my hand to buy and was told buy the RS that it would take 3 to 4 months for them to get it...sorry but that does not cut it when I can get it shipped in 14-21 days from 'merica (back when shipping was cheap)
That's a long time to hold a grudge against them for being honest with you...

:think:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

willow13 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
willow13 wrote:
agree..but then us old fullas are in theory more likely to spend bigger dollars than the younger ones so that will have an effect, although I get the impression shops in general prefer people to tick stuff up over paying outright for it (so they must be getting some sort of kick back from finance companies)
Myth.
Shop makes a sale. Finance company makes interest. End of.

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg

Post by klarkash-ton »

willow13 wrote:
Well if you work there then why is profit important to you? now if you own it then yes big issue
Who said I worked there? Hearing a conversation makes me an employee?

LOL

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Capt. Black wrote:
willow13 wrote: but to get back to the OP, it is pretty hard to support local if they don't stock what you want (which is 95% of the time with things I buy) then them going out of business is no big deal at all ... sorry but that is just the truth

I remember a dozen years ago I had a specific guitar I had the $$ in my hand to buy and was told buy the RS that it would take 3 to 4 months for them to get it...sorry but that does not cut it when I can get it shipped in 14-21 days from 'merica (back when shipping was cheap)
That's a long time to hold a grudge against them for being honest with you...

:think:
it isn't a grudge, I am just quoting the truth. Them having to wait to "fill a container" before shipping over is totally understandable from their point of view but so is me going else where instead of waiting ... their loss not mine

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg

Post by klarkash-ton »

I'm with the OP btw. We do have an extremely disappointing breadth of product range in NZ compared to the cities and countries and states overseas (Australia is not inclusive there) that eclipse little old NZ into the dust of dust of dust.

Funnily enough, it was the same back in the 60's! Anyone want a Jansen guitar over a Fender/Gibson of the same era?

Economy of scale as pointed out earlier in this thread is ALL.

In the USA and Europe, chain stores are closing all over yet also art, practice and performance space is being pushed to the edges of modern cities in lieu of rents. Sign of the times.

Boutique and speciality spaces are thriving though.

The guitar is not the instrument of the popular culture right now so NZguitars is about legacy instruments and legacy sound.

We all love the guitar here (one hopes) and we all want it to be first and foremost in our playing, we're totally biased.

To get NZ stores to stock more guitar options we all have to pressure them and persuade them that it is a good business to get what the customer is after or...

*tumbleweeds*

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

klarkash-ton wrote:I'm with the OP btw. We do have an extremely disappointing breadth of product range in NZ compared to the cities and countries and states overseas (Australia is not inclusive there) that eclipse little old NZ into the dust of dust of dust.
I don't think anyone disagreed with the OP on the disappointing lack guitar products stocked, I think everyone was pointing out that there's good reason.
klarkash-ton wrote:Funnily enough, it was the same back in the 60's! Anyone want a Jansen guitar over a Fender/Gibson of the same era?

Economy of scale as pointed out earlier in this thread is ALL.
It was probably worse since you couldn't just internet a 1000 alternatives and it would have been illegal to import them. At least now we can investigate online and buy online, and if it doesn't work out, sell it again, online.
klarkash-ton wrote:In the USA and Europe, chain stores are closing all over yet also art, practice and performance space is being pushed to the edges of modern cities in lieu of rents. Sign of the times.

Boutique and speciality spaces are thriving though.

The guitar is not the instrument of the popular culture right now so NZguitars is about legacy instruments and legacy sound.

We all love the guitar here (one hopes) and we all want it to be first and foremost in our playing, we're totally biased.

To get NZ stores to stock more guitar options we all have to pressure them and persuade them that it is a good business to get what the customer is after or...

*tumbleweeds*
The best way to do that is to buy their stocks, and with something like a $5000 plus Les Paul, no one is going to buy it just because they stock it, it will need to suit the buyer's wants of a Les Paul. While I reckon you could probably get most forum members to admit Grant's LPs are damn cool and desirable, I doubt you could find the same number able to pay for one as cool as any of his. When you start including playing requirements into it the numbers diverge further, some will be Custom Shop dudes, some Modern, some Trad, some Jr and the dollars tick over...
I'll bet you dollars to donuts every retailer watching this thread could bring up several tales of dudes hot and heavy for X product begging, demanding, pleading it to be brought in because they HAVE to buy it...and it arrives to the sound of *tumbleweeds*.
I think the Rockshop and Musicplanet does well catering to a demanding market, even though Musicplanet's Christchurch store is very disappointing, Musicworks not so much, although I have purchased from all and will continue to do so. I imagine the independent Musicworks supported shops are a better option. I also reserve the right to buy online if the NZ chains don't have what I want, I am happy to pay GST if it's required.
Would I support a boutique store? Of course, I did buy from Ryan and will probably buy from anyone else with the product I want. I even prefer to buy locally even if there's a few dollars more in it.
Tin arse!!

klarkash-ton
Stagg
Stagg

Post by klarkash-ton »

willow13 wrote:
I like how you give jobs to anonymous people but especially like how you've given me ownership over a shop.

Glad to have kicked the nest :)

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Really like and appreciate all the comments.
Ok so, Its clear why stores wont have every big ticket item, brand & models (guitars, amps) etc, its also obvious why we ALL buy online / overseas.
I recently spent a Saturday and visited 4 local stores looking for a number of patch cables which to me should be a pretty simple task, I could not find the quantity or quality I needed. Again Ill need to buy offshore. Its the little things, not just big ticket items.

I feel there is a need for quality, perhaps boutique but known branded, new options in NZ and I have been putting a few things together of which I dont feel is the right time to explain fully yet. All I can say is pickups, pedals, cable, manufacturing, custom, and more. I hope to cater for and service some of your needs.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

klarkash-ton wrote:Guess my aged sarcasm wasn't strong enough.
I got it. Just didn't agree.

That said, took my wee boy to the beach today to try his newly acquired metal detector. Bought on Amazon based on reviews. It's shit so we now have the hassle of returning it and finding him another. Likely we'll just go to a store, take some advice and buy one there. Expect it to cost more but actually be fit for purpose... :oops:

Separately, I'm after some new Doc Martens but some of the online prices have me thinking they must be knock-offs. Again, I'll just go to the shops, try them on and buy them for top-dollar.

None of this has to do with feeling anything warm and fuzzy about supporting high street retailers. It's all about what's best for me.