Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2096 times

Klon Clone - eBay deal

Post by GrantB »

I just took delivery of this and immediately tested it into the Princeton. $80 ish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klon-Centaur-C ... 2749.l2649

Well, I have to say it is exactly what I hoped irrespective of the price (without knowing the price I would say it's a $200 ish Klon clone). Just like the original the low gain is very clear and transparent but there's lots of gain, treble and volume on tap if required. I think it's better than the KTR I had insofar as it doesn't have that subtle upper mid mush, and slight roll-off at the top. I just wanted it for low gain in my office rig. Very impressed. I will do a sound clip thingy soon.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Klon Clone - eBay deal

Post by Single coil »

I had one of those. Mine was the coppery colour. Was actually a pretty cool pedal if a little harsh.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Single coil wrote:I had one of those. Mine was the coppery colour. Was actually a pretty cool pedal if a little harsh.
I think treble at around 9oclock is treble unity/parity with the pedal not on. Lower it starts to roll off the top end. Why it's designed like this is that when the gain is dimed out it actually looses top end clarity, so you can then tweak it with the extra highs the pedal has.

Not fizzy either. Holds itself together well when fully dimed. Not high gain though.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

You can buy them on aliexpress for cheaps too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804921754.html they also have more expensive ones ~ $400 which have the original style enclosure etc https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816180003.html or assembled for mega $$: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787905686.html :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I heard Billy Duffy talking about real Klon on no guitar is safe ... I have no idea what they are but holy shit they are worth some $$ :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Had another fang through the Surpo....yeah, that Treble dialed past 9pm is gonna kill your ears! There, or lower, is fine. That $800 one says "smooth top end"....maybe you gotta pay for "smooth"...but not that sort of money. My $150 Blues Pro is smooth!

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

GrantB wrote:I just took delivery of this and immediately tested it into the Princeton. $80 ish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klon-Centaur-C ... 2749.l2649

Well, I have to say it is exactly what I hoped irrespective of the price (without knowing the price I would say it's a $200 ish Klon clone). Just like the original the low gain is very clear and transparent but there's lots of gain, treble and volume on tap if required. I think it's better than the KTR I had insofar as it doesn't have that subtle upper mid mush, and slight roll-off at the top. I just wanted it for low gain in my office rig. Very impressed. I will do a sound clip thingy soon.

wow that actually looks the biz! might get me one!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Just note - if you played it on the setting shown in that photo, you would die.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

There's an original for sale in the JulienscAuction of Walter Becker's Estate.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Having played a number of originals don't wet your panties too much....