Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Get your GAS now, Rosewood restrictions from 2nd Jan

Post by Molly »

harveysj wrote:Just had my PRS purchase rejected for this reason (rosewood fingerboard) looks like ill have to wait for one to show on trade me....
Really!? Rejected by PRS, a US retailer or the NZ authorities?

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

Molly wrote:
harveysj wrote:Just had my PRS purchase rejected for this reason (rosewood fingerboard) looks like ill have to wait for one to show on trade me....
From japan, ishibashi said they cannot sell any guitar with rosewood to international buyers.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

harveysj wrote:
Molly wrote:
From japan, ishibashi said they cannot sell any guitar with rosewood to international buyers.
****! Wonder if it's a temporary thing until they iron out the bumps.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I thought I had already responded to this.

I wonder how this will work for my personally owned Firebird (1976) currently with a friend in the U.K? My bro in law will take it in soon to have a blast on it then I probably should send it home. But what issues will that bring?

This thing is madness.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I fully expect my next fretboard will be aluminium :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Phenolic fretboard
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Just thought of something. What about the rosewood skunk stripe on maple necks? I guess that has implications too?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:I thought I had already responded to this.

I wonder how this will work for my personally owned Firebird (1976) currently with a friend in the U.K? My bro in law will take it in soon to have a blast on it then I probably should send it home. But what issues will that bring?
F'k knows but it is a worry. Flick 'em a query and let us know what comes back?

info@mpi.govt.nz

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

AFAIK if you are traveling with an instrument for "personal use" then it will be ok. If you are shipping an instrument overseas without paperwork then you will be in trouble. Obviously no overseas dealers saw this CITES ruling coming and as a result nobody has the right documentation so we are stuck in this odd limbo period until guitar makers can provide rosewood friendly paperwork to accompany new instruments as they leave the factory.

What a nightmare.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

This from Andertons:

New CITES Laws Around Rosewood and Bubinga Guitars

As of the 2nd of January 2017, a new law has been put into place that will affect how Rosewood is traded across borders. Obviously, a lot of guitars are made with Rosewood for the fretboard and that will have a heavy impact on how easy it is to order a guitar with Rosewood.

It does NOT apply to guitars (or other instruments) that are being traded within the borders of one country, but any time an instrument with Rosewood is sold internationally (or in our case outside of the EU) it requires CITES certification.
Sadly it stretches beyond Rosewood and into members of the same genus of tree as well as three types of Bubinga. While not many guitars use these rarer rosewoods it’s worth knowing when looking for a new guitar. This list includes:

All Rosewood
African Blackwood
Cocobolo
Kingwood
Bubinga
Any other member of the Dalbergia family of woods

How does it affect me?

What Andertons Can No Longer Do:
We cannot ship any instruments containing Rosewood outside of the EU for the time being. That means you will not be able to order anything containing Rosewood if you live in Australia, or the US etc.

What You Can’t Do:
Order a guitar from outside the EU without CITES certification which must state the source of the Rosewood. This certification is the responsibility of the exporter (retailer).
Sell a guitar internationally without CITES certification. The seller is always responsible for this even if it was CITES certified from the retailer you purchased it from.

What does this not change?
Apart from buying and selling guitars there are not any changes unless you plan on travelling with a lot of Rosewood!
You can still travel freely with your instrument as long as you are with it and it has less than 10kg or 22lbs of regulated materials. This does not require CITES certification.
You can still buy and sell rosewood within your country without any certification

What’s Next?
Industry leaders in the US, UK and around the world are starting a discussion to lighten the rules on the smaller quantities you will find in fretboards. While there is no guarantee that this will happen this is a conversation that is happening.
We’ll start to see manufacturers using less and less Rosewood until this can be resolved. Brands like Chapman and Dowina have already started changing their models to use Ebony boards instead of Rosewood.
Because of the cost of Ebony however we are sure to see more companies using man made materials like Gibson’s Richlite or other alternatives like Baked Maple.

NAMM is right around the corner and this is where we will probably see the first shift away from Rosewood in smaller to mid sized brands.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Gassing for a baked maple SG standard already

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Molly wrote:Just thought of something. What about the rosewood skunk stripe on maple necks? I guess that has implications too?
It's usually walnut rather than rosewood innit?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

twangnsnarl wrote:
Molly wrote:Just thought of something. What about the rosewood skunk stripe on maple necks? I guess that has implications too?
It's usually walnut rather than rosewood innit?
Oh, yeah... Duh. :lolno:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I wonder what effect Brexit is going to have on their business then? Once they leave the EU, their market for selling rosewood shrinks to GB and Ireland?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I would like to hear Dave from the RockShop chime in here. They are buying guitars all the time with rosewood components. Will they have to get a passport for every guitar? I doubt it.

Dave, calling Dave.....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves