Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Re: Camera advice...

Post by NippleWrestler »

vyfster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 am But, the Nikon mount hasn't changed since the 40s so any lens you have now will work on a modern body (albeit manual only if it doesn't have AF etc) which is something to think about.
The Nikon mount changed with the release of their mirrorless cameras.

If I wasn't invested with Nikon gear I would look at the Canon R5. On paper this looks like a beast and very good value for money (but not cheap). IMHO Nikon mirrorless seem to be lagging behind Sony and now Canon. I'm hoping they catchup with a decent body in the next year or so.

I'm just a hobbyist photographer so it's probably best to speak to Capt. Black but thought I'd throw in my 2c.
Wow really? Across the entire line? Then again I suppose Canon stopped developing EF lenses with the advent of RF.

The R5 is amazing but at $8k I might grab the R6 since video is a very small part of our worklaod.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: Camera advice...

Post by Capt. Black »

vyfster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 am But, the Nikon mount hasn't changed since the 40s so any lens you have now will work on a modern body (albeit manual only if it doesn't have AF etc) which is something to think about.
The Nikon mount changed with the release of their mirrorless cameras.

If I wasn't invested with Nikon gear I would look at the Canon R5. On paper this looks like a beast and very good value for money (but not cheap). IMHO Nikon mirrorless seem to be lagging behind Sony and now Canon. I'm hoping they catchup with a decent body in the next year or so.

I'm just a hobbyist photographer so it's probably best to speak to Capt. Black but thought I'd throw in my 2c.
Yep, new Nikon and Canon Mirrorless cameras have an updated mount. In Nikon's case that's a huge thing as it allows them to do things with lens design that Sony can't come close to. Both Canon and Nikons have an adapter available to use their existing F-mount SLR lenses on the Mirrorless models.No compromise on features and some people are reporting that some older lenses perform noticeably better on the Z7/Z6. Probably because focus is directly off the sensor and not a seperate AF module, which often needs to be calibrated to the camera sensor (lens by lens on some instances)

As for R5, it is a very powerful camera but it is a much higher grade camera than either Nikon ILMCs. So not really comparable except vs Nikon Z7 for resolution.
Z6 lower res will give much better low light performance than R5 or Z7. Nikon AF is being refined with every firmware update. There's always room to improve but seriously, current mid-range and higher cameras shit all over older models. Differences are in splitting hairs territory. And on balance, no single camera model is best at everything.