Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Line6 Heeeeeelix!

Post by null_pointer »

Basket Case wrote:
KNNZ wrote:A Helix to replace a Kemper? Definitely no way :lol:
Depends what you're after. There are many areas where the Kemper falls short of the Helix.
The entire FX library, for example. And any tweaking that extends outside the very limited range the profile you’re using allows for. But as a snapshot of an amp the Kemper is great...provided you have near studio quality mics and audio interface to acquire said profile.

Different beasts is my take. But if I were at a gig, the simplicity of the Helix would win every time (even with the Stomp, the Kemper still requires an off board expression pedal). In a studio would be another story, but then again in the studio there’s no reason not to use the real amp.

Dunno, I’ve had em all but I’m starting to prefer the Helix (again) as the updates roll in, and better and better presets are available.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Post by Reg18 »

null_pointer wrote:Yeah the defaults almost universally suck unless they’re higher gain (and therefore already compressed). I can only imagine their intent with them is into mixes to cut, or recording as I find all the clean amp models ‘brittle’, trebly and thin. But a little massaging and that goes away, especially when iRs are introduced. I skipped the whole class and just bought premade patches I liked the sound of, but one day I’ll learn to manipulate on my own! Check out Jason Sadites’ Helix videos on YouTube he does a great job of educating
Yeah I’m finding the basic clean amps need a little encouraging to get the whole squish under the fingers feel.
I’ve ended up upgrading to a Bloom compressor which has many options of optical compressor and an EQ as well, including a dual compressor in series designed for slide (which still doesn’t sound overly squashed with the HX Stomp but sounds way over the top on my actual 5e3)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:
Basket Case wrote:
KNNZ wrote:A Helix to replace a Kemper? Definitely no way :lol:
Depends what you're after. There are many areas where the Kemper falls short of the Helix.
The entire FX library, for example. And any tweaking that extends outside the very limited range the profile you’re using allows for. But as a snapshot of an amp the Kemper is great...provided you have near studio quality mics and audio interface to acquire said profile.

Different beasts is my take. But if I were at a gig, the simplicity of the Helix would win every time (even with the Stomp, the Kemper still requires an off board expression pedal). In a studio would be another story, but then again in the studio there’s no reason not to use the real amp.

Dunno, I’ve had em all but I’m starting to prefer the Helix (again) as the updates roll in, and better and better presets are available.
Ease of editing has got to be the area that the helix pisses in the Kemper cornflakes - both onboard and hxedit.
And it doesn't look like an art noveau toaster or pedalboard ;)

Each have their jobs to do, apples and oranges.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Thanks for those suggesting Jason Sadites’ Helix videos – they completely changed the game for me.

For the more Metal leaning, Nick Hill does great stuff.

http://drtonelab.com/ is excellent for bass! One thing I've noted is that a lot of bass players doing youtube things are massive fanbois of Bill Sheehan so a lot of tones lean that way – I'm not a huge fan of his tone so I have to pick through the weeds a bit.

I have a question – are people using monitors to play through? I'm thinking of getting some thing to play louder with but I would like to keep stereo or have a bit more utility.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I'm playing through a Headrush 112 - only got something that loud cause I need it for bass band practice.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

i'm playing thru an Alto TS212

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

TmcB wrote:Thanks for those suggesting Jason Sadites’ Helix videos – they completely changed the game for me.

For the more Metal leaning, Nick Hill does great stuff.

http://drtonelab.com/ is excellent for bass! One thing I've noted is that a lot of bass players doing youtube things are massive fanbois of Bill Sheehan so a lot of tones lean that way – I'm not a huge fan of his tone so I have to pick through the weeds a bit.

I have a question – are people using monitors to play through? I'm thinking of getting some thing to play louder with but I would like to keep stereo or have a bit more utility.
Excellent series of dialling in videos :) I even bought some of his patches!

I'm playing through studio monitors mostly but can go through 2x headrush cabs if I'm feeling a bit mental :mental:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.