Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:14 am 16337312461847113301528400680496.jpg
FINALLY!!!!!!!!! :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Looking forward to pics of that, Rob. Great looking and sounding amp.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

JoeBlow wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:38 am Looking forward to pics of that, Rob. Great looking and sounding amp.
Currently having a few cabinet-related logistical issues, so it's currently sitting on a closed-back 1x12. And only used my Strat so far.

Initial impressions: fuck I love this amp. Tweedy tones for days, but minus that harshness that you can get with vintage-style Tweed amps. I hate people who use vague/meaningless adjectives to describe sounds, but it just sounds chewy! As soon as the gain knob gets above 11 o'clock, it starts compressing slightly. When you dig in, it doesn't overdrive, it just gets a soft compression. Gain past 2 and you get into crunch territory with my very low-output Strat. Sounds great at light crunch (think mildly-pushed Deluxe). Gain past 4 o'clock and it's a bit woolly, not really my jam. Had a quick blast with some OD pedals: doesn't like a TS or RAT, but loved an OCD and (surprisingly) Hotcake.

Reverb is on the dark end of the spectrum with a long dwell. Lovely for clean, shoe-gazing wankery, but doesn't work when pushed.

Multi-watt is really useful. 2W is a muffled, woolly mess that I won't touch. 10W is a good balance of headroom with a little compression, but still crazy loud at bedroom volumes. 20W is more headroom than I'd ever need, better attack/presence than 10W. I haven't bothered venturing higher than that yet.

I love how it looks. Will love it even more once it's grubby and smelly. The slight gaps in the tolex at the corners (adjacent to inputs and power switches) are a bit annoying, but a universal problem with these that I'd resigned myself to before buying.

Just gotta wait for the wife to take the baby out so I can really wind it up.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

robthemac wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 am
JoeBlow wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:38 am Looking forward to pics of that, Rob. Great looking and sounding amp.
Currently having a few cabinet-related logistical issues, so it's currently sitting on a closed-back 1x12. And only used my Strat so far.

Multi-watt is really useful. 2W is a muffled, woolly mess that I won't touch. 10W is a good balance of headroom with a little compression, but still crazy loud at bedroom volumes. 20W is more headroom than I'd ever need, better attack/presence than 10W. I haven't bothered venturing higher than that yet.
I love the multi-watt function on amps like that. Makes them so versatile and usable. I was going to ask how the 2w sounded, but it sounds like it's a bit fuzz pedalish for your taste. Probably cool for a systainy lead tone though?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

"The Spirit of Art in Technology". I like that!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

JoeBlow wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:49 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 am

I love the multi-watt function on amps like that. Makes them so versatile and usable. I was going to ask how the 2w sounded, but it sounds like it's a bit fuzz pedalish for your taste. Probably cool for a systainy lead tone though?
It just doesn't sound nice at 2W to be honest. Closest I can relate it to is the drive channel of a Hot Rod Deluxe. Not offensive, just not pleasant.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Got an Aston Spirit mic coming, with the Avengers looking pop filter too. It's the only mic I've seen that looks post apocalyptic. Man I'd like it sitting on a shelf even if it wasn't a microphone.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

So the 2007 Standard LP from trademe is in the mail :)
Buyer seemed to be completely genuine, he gave me his address and phone number etc without asking and has put it on the courier today before the funds had gone into his account, and I just reimbursed him for courier cost.... :D

Of course he might have sent a chibson, but I doubt it!

Hoping this scratches the LP itch, not sure about the baseball bat neck. Time will tell.
LP1.jpeg
LP1.jpeg (110.48 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
LP2.jpeg
LP2.jpeg (103.98 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:09 pm So the 2007 Standard LP from trademe is in the mail :)
Buyer seemed to be completely genuine, he gave me his address and phone number etc without asking and has put it on the courier today before the funds had gone into his account, and I just reimbursed him for courier cost.... :D

Of course he might have sent a chibson, but I doubt it!

Hoping this scratches the LP itch, not sure about the baseball bat neck. Time will tell.

LP1.jpeg
LP2.jpeg
If it has a genuine baseball bat neck, dibs.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Unconditional dibs here :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

That looks the part! Don't the Standards usually come with pickguards? I can't seem to see the usual hole by the neck pickup.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

ooh that's nice, BEEG

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

codedog wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:37 pm That looks the part! Don't the Standards usually come with pickguards? I can't seem to see the usual hole by the neck pickup.
I recall a time / edition where the pickguard was left in the case and it was up to the buyer to decide if they wanted it on or not.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

dibs's noted ;)

I'm hoping it'll be with me a long time but hey, I might not bond with it.... I've always wanted to use that for a reason I'm selling :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:47 pm dibs's noted ;)

I'm hoping it'll be with me a long time but hey, I might not bond with it.... I've always wanted to use that for a reason I'm selling :D
I sold some glue for the same reason.