Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:03 pm It comes in this. It's a Falling A.
Given the lack of security in your shed, do you really think it wise to get the Custom Shop leaf rake?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

brought a tele with me, took the neck off and put it in my suitcase
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Molly wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:23 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:05 pm and to add insult to injury, it arrived in the allotted hour. ;)
What guitar do you have with you?
A Wurzil Gummage signature one string thatch guitar
Sounds like a Western guitar.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 pm
GrantB wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:03 pm It comes in this. It's a Falling A.
Given the lack of security in your shed, do you really think it wise to get the Custom Shop leaf rake?
This expensive garden implement will likely be sent back. It plays and sounds good but there is undisclosed work I am not happy with. Sucks.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've got a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro incoming for my upcoming born day. Looks like a swish bit of kit.
Loving it so far

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Follow up to my "What are you GAS'ing for" post :congrats:

Massive, MASSIVE thank you to Conway / GuitarsRock NZ. He is an absolute gem of this community. I love this man :oops: :lol:

I initially looked at Andertons but going with Guitars Rock NZ was a no-brainer in every respect (price / wait / supporting local).

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Yup Conway is boss!

Nice score dude!

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Got a G3 Atom inbound and a Schmidt Array SA350XDM Pedalboard coming.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

bluesierra wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pm Got a G3 Atom inbound and a Schmidt Array SA350XDM Pedalboard coming.
I don't know what those things are but I'm happy for you just the same. :-)

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:19 am
bluesierra wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pm Got a G3 Atom inbound and a Schmidt Array SA350XDM Pedalboard coming.
I don't know what those things are but I'm happy for you just the same. :-)
Ha, cheers. They are just things to give me way more pedal board than I need….. which is kind of my M.O.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I finally have something in the mail so I can post in this thread. I finally bit the bullet and bought strings off the net.

It's been a major PITA because Elixir has stopped production on my faves (I play acoustic bass guitar, if we've never met). Not just that but AB strings in general are starting to become a little scarce(r) in NZ. AND being a 5 string player in High C tuning, I need loose acoustic guitar strings (.020-somethings) to complete the set. So a lot depends on whether a brick-and-mortar sells loose strings and what is available, It's a treasure hunt at the best of times, sometimes I've had to go to 2-3 places searching for strings to make up a complete set. OK, I think ahead and had a couple of spare sets of fours but what a drag it's been hearing the strings downgrading day after day and wondering if they sounded shit enough to be changed. Now I just have to watch out for porch pirates.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Vince wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 am I finally have something in the mail so I can post in this thread. I finally bit the bullet and bought strings off the net.

It's been a major PITA because Elixir has stopped production on my faves (I play acoustic bass guitar, if we've never met). Not just that but AB strings in general are starting to become a little scarce(r) in NZ. AND being a 5 string player in High C tuning, I need loose acoustic guitar strings (.020-somethings) to complete the set. So a lot depends on whether a brick-and-mortar sells loose strings and what is available, It's a treasure hunt at the best of times, sometimes I've had to go to 2-3 places searching for strings to make up a complete set. OK, I think ahead and had a couple of spare sets of fours but what a drag it's been hearing the strings downgrading day after day and wondering if they sounded shit enough to be changed. Now I just have to watch out for porch pirates.
Is there anything you can do to rejuvenate old strings? I know folk used to boil them.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:14 am Is there anything you can do to rejuvenate old strings? I know folk used to boil them.
Yeah, I tried that many years ago and it SORT OF works. They don't sound NEW but, for a couple of weeks, they sound like they're only about a month old.

I've also seen a video where Dmitry Lisenko (an acoustic bass guitarist about as famous as John Gomm in his field) wraps steel wool around a string and rubs VERY energetically. Scarily energetically. But that's real desperation.

If I was a "proper" bass player I wouldn't care so much because a dull thud can be good enough. People pay for that sound when they buy flatwounds, right? ;) ;) but for playing solo, I need the sound to be clear and bell-like all the way through.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:51 pm Follow up to my "What are you GAS'ing for" post :congrats:

Massive, MASSIVE thank you to Conway / GuitarsRock NZ. He is an absolute gem of this community. I love this man :oops: :lol:

I initially looked at Andertons but going with Guitars Rock NZ was a no-brainer in every respect (price / wait / supporting local).
Thanks Jae, I really appreciate your support and it was my pleasure to hook you up with your dream guitar! :D
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Vince wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:51 am
Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:14 am Is there anything you can do to rejuvenate old strings? I know folk used to boil them.
Yeah, I tried that many years ago and it SORT OF works. They don't sound NEW but, for a couple of weeks, they sound like they're only about a month old.

I've also seen a video where Dmitry Lisenko (an acoustic bass guitarist about as famous as John Gomm in his field) wraps steel wool around a string and rubs VERY energetically. Scarily energetically. But that's real desperation.

If I was a "proper" bass player I wouldn't care so much because a dull thud can be good enough. People pay for that sound when they buy flatwounds, right? ;) ;) but for playing solo, I need the sound to be clear and bell-like all the way through.
Maybe a chemical cleaner of some sort would work.