Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by MattH »

Mike Clayton wrote:I ordered a Custom Shop 69 pickup from Ebay on 15/3. I just received the following USPS tracking update:- "Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND on March 27, 2020 at 9:06 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.". Looks like I'm gonna get it!
Is that a Strat pickup, Mike?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Sure is - I've currently got a Fender 57/62 in the neck of my Strat & wondered how the CS69 would sound through the Vibroverb!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Mike Clayton wrote:Sure is - I've currently got a Fender 57/62 in the neck of my Strat & wondered how the CS69 would sound through the Vibroverb!
It'll be like they were made for each other, I imagine!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mike Clayton wrote:Sure is - I've currently got a Fender 57/62 in the neck of my Strat & wondered how the CS69 would sound through the Vibroverb!
In the neck position? I'd say definitely. The 69 set doesn't wind the bridge any different to the others so to some it can seem a bit weak in that position. I've a CS69 set in my Strat and I love those pickups for Strat cleans and 'that' neck tone.

I listened to Kdawg's BK Strat last weekend and loved the tone. Also, after listening to Walter Trout yesterday, went online to see if his custom-wound pickup set from Seymour Duncan was available (it isn't). Anyway, I'm after something a bit more 'gritty' for the rosewood Strat I've not yet bought.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Maybe made for each other but I am after "that" tone. I struggle with Strat neck pickups - they're always too bassy for my liking. The CS69s are more scooped than the 57/62's and the Vibroverb is scooped too. So god only knows! It's mostly my fingers I think... :mental:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Molly, which BK pickups are in Kdawg's Strat? And are you referring to loving the neck tone?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Mike Clayton wrote:Molly, which BK pickups are in Kdawg's Strat? And are you referring to loving the neck tone?
BK Apache.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

codedog wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:Molly, which BK pickups are in Kdawg's Strat? And are you referring to loving the neck tone?
BK Apache.
And good in neck pos?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Mike Clayton wrote:
codedog wrote:
BK Apache.
And good in neck pos?
I like it but, the way it's currently set up, it doesn't work for me. I usually rely on crunchy amps that clean up with rolling back volume. I'm used to having treble bleed in place. This one doesn't have it. I never realised how much it darkens without it. I still haven't played it through a clean amp. Hopefully this weekend... yes, I have that strat right now.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Keep us posted! I've just been looking at the BK Apache specs and listening to the neck. Sounds nice... but they always do on the demos!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7689 times
Been liked: 4158 times

Post by jeremyb »

They are really nice sounding pickups, the neck is the star, quite low output tho' so I'm actually enjoying the TexMex in my road worn more as I can wind back the volume to get a similar sound but wind it up to get more dirt, horses for courses tho'...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:They are really nice sounding pickups, the neck is the star, quite low output tho' so I'm actually enjoying the TexMex in my road worn more as I can wind back the volume to get a similar sound but wind it up to get more dirt, horses for courses tho'...
Went to Walter Trout's website to find out about his tone. He said he has his Mesa set on 'Death Metal' and does everything via the volume control. I just tried that on my Kotzen head and it works nicely perhaps partly because I have a treble bleed in there so can back-off without it getting muddy.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:
jeremyb wrote:They are really nice sounding pickups, the neck is the star, quite low output tho' so I'm actually enjoying the TexMex in my road worn more as I can wind back the volume to get a similar sound but wind it up to get more dirt, horses for courses tho'...
Went to Walter Trout's website to find out about his tone. He said he has his Mesa set on 'Death Metal' and does everything via the volume control. I just tried that on my Kotzen head and it works nicely perhaps partly because I have a treble bleed in there so can back-off without it getting muddy.
Yup, I can't live without treble bleed now. I understand it's not vintage but it's what I'm used to.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mike Clayton wrote:Maybe made for each other but I am after "that" tone. I struggle with Strat neck pickups - they're always too bassy for my liking. The CS69s are more scooped than the 57/62's and the Vibroverb is scooped too. So god only knows! It's mostly my fingers I think... :mental:
It's pretty hit-and-miss and there's no guarantee that the more you spend the more likely you are to hear what you want to hear. I had an old CBS Strat with cheap Fender Japan pickups in it and that had a very distinctive sound I really liked. But on paper you'd never want them.
Fender Japan Moulded Bobbin.jpg
Fender Japan Moulded Bobbin.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Having said that, I went back and had a listen and I'm not now sure I do like it. It's a moving target, eh?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Definitely a moving target and I think it depends alot on the amp/speaker involved. It struck me earlier today the irony of trying to achieve "classic" Strat tones that were created on (now) vintage instruments by seeking pickups from non-Fender manufacturers. You'd think Fender could create those pickups and the truth is, they probably do!