Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by clubhouse »

lukewillasick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am This lockdown has found me buying weird cheap stuff off trade me.
the latest a $50 archtop and a good old Peavy Rage (my first ever guitar amp) for $20

Not expecting a lot from the guitar, but something about cheap gear is just fun.
Dude...that guitar is actually a Hofner brand guitar. German made of varying quality...made mostly to take advantage of the guitar craze during the mid 50s to mid 60s whilst most of the world had protectionist trade practises prohibiting the importation of better made competition. Very common guitar in the UK and Europe...McCartney famously played a Hofner bass (the 'Beatle' bass) the majority of the time.

Many of them were made with steam-pressed, laminated tops, backs and sides and fancy pants bindings and inlays to make them attractive to the kids...who during post-war austerity, didn't really care they sounded boxy and thin, so long as they looked good like their hero's.

They did do pro level axes that were very well made, sounded ok and are very collectible (NZ$000s)...the Committee and President model names come to mind. Featured all spruce, carved, arch-tops (German carve based on their violin tradition: swoopier than US and thicker plates = loud, cutting sound compared to US brands), solid or laminated sides and backs (rosewoods, intensely birds-eyed maples and other crazy, flashy wood styles), sometimes laminated (often 5 band) necks with ebony fretboards with inlaid fret blocks and head-stocks.

Most didn't have truss rods, although obviously, that one has a cover. The necks are narrow as is the string spacing...you've got to have skinny fingers...and they have a zero fret/nut deal going on. Nothing bad...just particular.

All models had an overly complicated 2-way, cantilevered, neck join where the neck dovetailed into the body with a joined on extension over the soundboard and the fretboard glued on top of the two neck pieces. They often bend or break here as it's under a lot of tension. The action will tell you.

That one, friendo...looks slightly better! At least by that photo...the sound board looks heavily grained as if obviously solid. The tailpiece, to me, is a bit of a give away...a President I played in an Irish pub band was very easy to play, stable, held tune well and sounded pretty good had a tailpiece that looked exactly the same...6 staggered, brass fingers with curved in ends to retain the strings. The headstock on that one is simpler (older looking) than the Prez I played and doesn't have the fretboard binding that the Prez had.

The bridge looks off...the saddle pieces are typically Hofner (plastic ) but the bridge itself looks a lot clunkier than usual, even for a cheapy.

At 50 bucks...jump on it!!! If the neck joint is holding and it's otherwise playable/tuneable, you've scored dude. It's worth a lot more than 50, straight up! Hell, sell it to me for $55...you've made $5 and made me happy...two birds/one stone :wink: If it's a solid deck...kachinga! Your in the $00s right there!!!

Well spotted chief! :thumbup:

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

Waiting on my Tiny Terror from Reverb to arrive - UPS says it's due today. Not sure if I should get my hopes up or not since it was only scanned into the country yesterday

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Cheap chinese UHF guitar wireless ~$95 delivered! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MF7Q9RW/ $10 cheaper if you go with the standard shipping option, but literally everything I've ordered from there since covid with that option has not arrived and I've had refunded instead, so worth paying $10 more for the express option and it comes quickly via DHL instead.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Jason will be boxing this up tonight to be picked up from Interparcel in the morning.
Freight from Victora Aus was $190 nzd which I thibk is pretty good.
Customs on the other hand.. grrrr.

A few more pics of it finished..
received_872279576789361.jpeg
received_872279576789361.jpeg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Jose/Cameron circuit, 3 channels including clean. Never really been happy with the few tube amps I've played so decided to spring for a 'forever' amp finally. Did the digital thing, was good for a while, but honestly, I'm a half stack guy, always will be I think.
Cheers.
Attachments
received_623873045413057.jpeg
received_623873045413057.jpeg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

Head first or second. Either way you can not beat it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

In the mail and now arrived at the local nzpost sorting depot, so delivery either tomorrow or sometime later this month....

Surfybear reverb kit, trem and the cab I built for Kev77, best get a better soddering iron this weekend as mine is from Dick Smiths and I don't think I can get replacement tips for it....

Oh and I bought a cheap Eleven Rack recently, its not in the mail but I can't pickup as car is still being serviced...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:11 pm Cheap chinese UHF guitar wireless ~$95 delivered! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MF7Q9RW/ $10 cheaper if you go with the standard shipping option, but literally everything I've ordered from there since covid with that option has not arrived and I've had refunded instead, so worth paying $10 more for the express option and it comes quickly via DHL instead.
I have had a set of the lower spec Lekato ones for a few months now, great for what I want, just playing at home. I get 2 nights playing off a charge (turn on 5pm-10pm, play for probably 1 1/2hr tops). Surprisingly sturdy, hard plastic and strong jack swivel, I reckon you will like these I get a good signal with latency I can't detect.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:56 pm In the mail and now arrived at the local nzpost sorting depot, so delivery either tomorrow or sometime later this month....

Surfybear reverb kit, trem and the cab I built for Kev77, best get a better soddering iron this weekend as mine is from Dick Smiths and I don't think I can get replacement tips for it....

Oh and I bought a cheap Eleven Rack recently, its not in the mail but I can't pickup as car is still being serviced...
It arrived :) just got one of these, my old dick (smith) is now in retirement...

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

One of these arrived along with the headphones from Grant

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Getting back in the Tele game. :)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

100% in Conway's mail right now:
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-11-24-07-57-03-134_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-24-07-57-03-134_com.android.chrome.jpg (701.33 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:58 am 100% in Conway's mail right now:
Shudder
I think Fender should leave the denim finishes to PRS & Nik Huber...

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

This is disappointing. By keeping the pickguards black they’ve missed the opportunity to go double denim.

I assume these guitars now cannot be sold in Canada.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 am
This is disappointing. By keeping the pickguards black they’ve missed the opportunity to go double denim.

I assume these guitars now cannot be sold in Canada.
Personally I'd replace the plastics with Mother-of-Toilet-Seat.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.