Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Danger Mouse »

robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:47 pm
clubhouse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:55 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:06 am
Agreed. Have a cheap system in my modern minimalist living area, then the serious system in the gimp cave downstairs.
Serious gimp cave…nice, man! Sounds a little like Torquemada meets Régine Zylberberg and Adam West-Batman…we should talk, sounds like a party to me :mental:

Back in the day, a story was told (probably apocryphal) by an older and really good audio engineer disparaging ‘audiophiles’…

IIRC, a seminar was organised by a reputable hi-fi magazine for some critics, journo and respected ‘golden ears’ cats. One of the items, which was the point of the experiment (it was a all a set-up to test a hypothesis), involved sitting the gathered in a small, acoustically tuned auditorium acknowledged for its ‘musicality’, in front of a set of very high end stereo speakers with a curtain behind them where the rest of the hi-fi system was kept.

The audience was assured that every controllable variable had been taken care of to insure that all the listeners were subjected to the same listening experience and they were asked to listen critically to a song track that was then played for them. They were asked to note their observations of the listening experience.

After some deliberate bashing and crashing about with some muttering and serious talk behind the curtain, the guinea pigs were then asked to listen critically to the same track again and note any difference from the previous experience they perceived.

The results were collated. All listeners noted differences, and there was. All were wrong…eloquently describing the phase inconsistencies causing eq shifts, variances in DAC, subtle changes in the mastering compression, blah, blah…everyone missed that the tracks were exactly the same except that the first was played back in stereo and the second in mono… :shh:
I've spent enough of my life arguing with audiophiles about the inability for people to distinguish between most components.

Better to spend money on the gimp-related items rather than DACs and cables etc.
Even when you get close to the level of separation Slowy talks about, often you're just getting to listen to, in infinite detail, just how badly your favourite music is recorded, mixed and mastered.

"Can you hear just how incredibly sharp the clipping sounds on this brickwalled album? You won't get that level of detail with cheaper speaker floor spikes" etc.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

...and this is why I'm grateful for having tin ears :) The closest I get to Hi-fi is through DT-770 Pro's. Shove your spikes up your jacksy.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:32 pm
Even when you get close to the level of separation Slowy talks about, often you're just getting to listen to, in infinite detail, just how badly your favourite music is recorded, mixed and mastered.
And this is the paradox awaiting you at the top of the heap. Your gear does indeed become so revealing that you can only find a small handful of recordings that don't make you wince. (Jazz at The Pawnshop anyone?).

I suspect the obsessive audiophile doesn't actually like music very much. They're just chasing the sound in their heads and will go to any lengths to pursue it. Every upgrade satisfies for a while, then the doubts and questions start again.

Of course as guitarists, we could never understand such behaviour.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm ...and this is why I'm grateful for having tin ears :) The closest I get to Hi-fi is through DT-770 Pro's. Shove your spikes up your jacksy.
DT-770 ain't nothing to sniff at!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:19 pm
Bg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm ...and this is why I'm grateful for having tin ears :) The closest I get to Hi-fi is through DT-770 Pro's. Shove your spikes up your jacksy.
I have 2 pairs, because 250 ohms doesn't always cut it, 70 ohms come into play.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

So beyond a vague price-point the whole exercise dissolves into a pissing contest on who’s spent the most money on the biggest/most miniaturised, most technologically advanced/esoterically contrived audio microscope…with, I suspect, few instances of the assemblage being used in appropriate ‘clean room’ conditions. Again, if you’re wealthy enough to pursue particle physics in the realms of diminishing returns…have at it, I say…just, please do it properly, is all I’d whinge about…like the cats with the LHC/CERN and get the environment right.

None of them talks about the concrete mass they sunk into the foundations to absorb ground waves or the base isolation and diffusion materials used to tame a feral 200Hz frequency build up in the back corner of the room. It’s not as sexy as dropping a casual $7K on a hand carved, 24C gold wired, jewel-ruby stylused, lignum vitae turntable cart…

Eliminating all the peripheral crap between the media and the listener, in the way headphones eliminate most of the environment (except for the psycho-acoustic metaphysical environmental influence otherwise eliminated by VR sets or listening with your eyes closed in a sensory deprivation tank?), the next “format shift” could be the development of DNCs (digital neural convertors) where the listener plugs a wireless node into a connection in the brain stem to stream audio/visual data direct :lolno: …sell your shares in JBL, B+W, Genelec, Adam, etc now…you read it here first :roll:

Hell, maybe spend a few thou each year hosting some live performances at the pad instead of amassing a mess of blinking boxes and cables and share the experience of real music, untainted and uncoloured by the recording media complex, loud and direct…but they probably do that as well (let’s hope) anyway :mrgreen: …I suspect though, that it’s more about the quantifiable ($) measure of competitive perversion…right on.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:19 pm
Agreed. Sniffing is for RATs
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

clubhouse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:16 pm So beyond a vague price-point the whole exercise dissolves into a pissing contest on who’s spent the most money on the biggest/most miniaturised, most technologically advanced/esoterically contrived audio microscope…with, I suspect, few instances of the assemblage being used in appropriate ‘clean room’ conditions. Again, if you’re wealthy enough to pursue particle physics in the realms of diminishing returns…have at it, I say…just, please do it properly, is all I’d whinge about…like the cats with the LHC/CERN and get the environment right.

None of them talks about the concrete mass they sunk into the foundations to absorb ground waves or the base isolation and diffusion materials used to tame a feral 200Hz frequency build up in the back corner of the room. It’s not as sexy as dropping a casual $7K on a hand carved, 24C gold wired, jewel-ruby stylused, lignum vitae turntable cart…

Eliminating all the peripheral crap between the media and the listener, in the way headphones eliminate most of the environment (except for the psycho-acoustic metaphysical environmental influence otherwise eliminated by VR sets or listening with your eyes closed in a sensory deprivation tank?), the next “format shift” could be the development of DNCs (digital neural convertors) where the listener plugs a wireless node into a connection in the brain stem to stream audio/visual data direct :lolno: …sell your shares in JBL, B+W, Genelec, Adam, etc now…you read it here first :roll:

Hell, maybe spend a few thou each year hosting some live performances at the pad instead of amassing a mess of blinking boxes and cables and share the experience of real music, untainted and uncoloured by the recording media complex, loud and direct…but they probably do that as well (let’s hope) anyway :mrgreen: …I suspect though, that it’s more about the quantifiable ($) measure of competitive perversion…right on.
Right on, though I can’t read this post without substituting in phrases like Brazilian Rosewood, Old Growth Mahogany, PAFs and Nitro. We are all chasing rainbows I think:-)

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

But with top mount jacks.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

And

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Duo 2.2 thanks to the Gentleman that is RSDave.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I have a 1980s Tokai Goldstar sound coming this week. I've been looking for a lefty white/rosewood strat for ages but Fender now only make that config in the American Pro series, or some older MIMs but I've never seen one in NZ for sale.

Plus I have a thing for MIJ guitars and would like a strat for demos etc. The Goldstar stuff has a great reputation so let's see what shows up.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

After selling my EHX Deluxe Memory Man and Wampler reverb I have one of these on the way
Attachments
E4DE6B0E-C844-442C-98D1-E39666A37DE9.jpeg
E4DE6B0E-C844-442C-98D1-E39666A37DE9.jpeg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Meris Polymoon from StratMatt. I have never been more afraid of a pedal. :crazy:

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

A Herbie Hancock Jazz Charts book.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish