Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:44 pm
Yeah I've been looking at that but it only goes up to 4000mm sadly. I need 4001mm, else I'd be whacking it on the 12 months interest free, bargain!
Just sell your original ODS. Or a Trainwreck and late-50s Strat.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Audiophile Rabbithole is a different universe
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

No one in the whole wide world would buy that, come on, it's a joke...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Jay wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:52 pm No one in the whole wide world would buy that, come on, it's a joke...
Oh I'm sure there's a market for it. The guys who import them aren't doing it out of mere hope.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

robthemac wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:01 pm
Jay wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:52 pm No one in the whole wide world would buy that, come on, it's a joke...
Oh I'm sure there's a market for it. The guys who import them aren't doing it out of mere hope.
There is most definitely a market. At a mates 40th I spent a chunk of the evening chatting with a guy who had spent a fortune on his hi-fi set up. He was clearly very wealthy but most of the audio gear conversation was just him telling me how much he had spent, very little of it was on what his system sounded like.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:42 pm
There is most definitely a market. At a mates 40th I spent a chunk of the evening chatting with a guy who had spent a fortune on his hi-fi set up. He was clearly very wealthy but most of the audio gear conversation was just him telling me how much he had spent, very little of it was on what his system sounded like.
It's because it's not polite to talk* about how big your dick is at parties.

*lie
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

If I had the money, I'd happily drop $100k on a stereo system. But only $10 of that would be cables.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

He's probably hearing it with his eyes. Not something anybody here could ever be accused of... ;-)

I think I'd have lasted under a minute in that guy's company.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm

He's probably hearing it with his eyes. Not something anybody here could ever be accused of... ;-)

I know several people who have spent between 100 and 400k on Hifi. I have a simple test: Close your eyes. If your mind tells you the musicians are definitely in the same room with you, the job is done. Bonus points if you pull back to avoid being hit by the drumsticks.

This effect doesn't need to cost that much (depending on the size of your room) but you're going to have to spend at least $40K for it to work perfectly.
As for the extra $, it's the same as the average players who own 59 Bursts. It's because they can and you can't.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

The sad thing about hifi nerds is they always play such terrible music through their systems, but looking at trump we know that money and taste don’t go together…
Last edited by jeremyb on Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Molly wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm

I know several people who have spent between 100 and 400k on Hifi. I have a simple test: Close your eyes. If your mind tells you the musicians are definitely in the same room with you, the job is done. Bonus points if you pull back to avoid being hit by the drumsticks.

This effect doesn't need to cost that much (depending on the size of your room) but you're going to have to spend at least $40K for it to work perfectly.
As for the extra $, it's the same as the average players who own 59 Bursts. It's because they can and you can't.
Yep, in the case of the guy I spent time talking to, it is very much an expression of wealth. He could and he enjoyed telling people he could.

But still, a nice enough guy. He had recently upgraded his second set up and had gifted the speakers to my mate, which were $6k worth.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 am The sad thing about hifi nerds is they always play such terrible music through their systems, but looking at trump we know that money and taste don’t go together…
I’ve spent a bit of time behind consoles in some highly controlled audio environments (ionised, temp and humidity regulated air, wave-length tuned room space, near/mid and soffit mounted monitors with phase alignment, the full 6 figure investment stuff). The system itself is only a part of the overall documentation, collation and presentation of audio data. No judgement…your money, your freedom of choice(s) to spend however you will…but I’d be curious if a large chunk of that change isn’t spent on chasing equipment solutions to band-aid over boogie listening environment issues…nice view through the panoramic, floor to ceiling windows, bummer about the refractive/reflective acoustics…

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:48 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 am The sad thing about hifi nerds is they always play such terrible music through their systems, but looking at trump we know that money and taste don’t go together…
I’ve spent a bit of time behind consoles in some highly controlled audio environments (ionised, temp and humidity regulated air, wave-length tuned room space, near/mid and soffit mounted monitors with phase alignment, the full 6 figure investment stuff). The system itself is only a part of the overall documentation, collation and presentation of audio data. No judgement…your money, your freedom of choice(s) to spend however you will…but I’d be curious if a large chunk of that change isn’t spent on chasing equipment solutions to band-aid over boogie listening environment issues…nice view through the panoramic, floor to ceiling windows, bummer about the refractive/reflective acoustics…
Agreed. Have a cheap system in my modern minimalist living area, then the serious system in the gimp cave downstairs.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:06 am
Agreed. Have a cheap system in my modern minimalist living area, then the serious system in the gimp cave downstairs.
Serious gimp cave…nice, man! Sounds a little like Torquemada meets Régine Zylberberg and Adam West-Batman…we should talk, sounds like a party to me :mental:

Back in the day, a story was told (probably apocryphal) by an older and really good audio engineer disparaging ‘audiophiles’…

IIRC, a seminar was organised by a reputable hi-fi magazine for some critics, journo and respected ‘golden ears’ cats. One of the items, which was the point of the experiment (it was a all a set-up to test a hypothesis), involved sitting the gathered in a small, acoustically tuned auditorium acknowledged for its ‘musicality’, in front of a set of very high end stereo speakers with a curtain behind them where the rest of the hi-fi system was kept.

The audience was assured that every controllable variable had been taken care of to insure that all the listeners were subjected to the same listening experience and they were asked to listen critically to a song track that was then played for them. They were asked to note their observations of the listening experience.

After some deliberate bashing and crashing about with some muttering and serious talk behind the curtain, the guinea pigs were then asked to listen critically to the same track again and note any difference from the previous experience they perceived.

The results were collated. All listeners noted differences, and there was. All were wrong…eloquently describing the phase inconsistencies causing eq shifts, variances in DAC, subtle changes in the mastering compression, blah, blah…everyone missed that the tracks were exactly the same except that the first was played back in stereo and the second in mono… :shh:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:55 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:06 am
Serious gimp cave…nice, man! Sounds a little like Torquemada meets Régine Zylberberg and Adam West-Batman…we should talk, sounds like a party to me :mental:

Back in the day, a story was told (probably apocryphal) by an older and really good audio engineer disparaging ‘audiophiles’…

IIRC, a seminar was organised by a reputable hi-fi magazine for some critics, journo and respected ‘golden ears’ cats. One of the items, which was the point of the experiment (it was a all a set-up to test a hypothesis), involved sitting the gathered in a small, acoustically tuned auditorium acknowledged for its ‘musicality’, in front of a set of very high end stereo speakers with a curtain behind them where the rest of the hi-fi system was kept.

The audience was assured that every controllable variable had been taken care of to insure that all the listeners were subjected to the same listening experience and they were asked to listen critically to a song track that was then played for them. They were asked to note their observations of the listening experience.

After some deliberate bashing and crashing about with some muttering and serious talk behind the curtain, the guinea pigs were then asked to listen critically to the same track again and note any difference from the previous experience they perceived.

The results were collated. All listeners noted differences, and there was. All were wrong…eloquently describing the phase inconsistencies causing eq shifts, variances in DAC, subtle changes in the mastering compression, blah, blah…everyone missed that the tracks were exactly the same except that the first was played back in stereo and the second in mono… :shh:
I've spent enough of my life arguing with audiophiles about the inability for people to distinguish between most components.

Better to spend money on the gimp-related items rather than DACs and cables etc.