Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Dharmajester wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:
Bg wrote:
Nah all the soundguys will tell you to not plug it in ;) You should know :P
haha. i might just become that asshole with the 4x12. or I might not like it and sell it on
A quad with low sensitivity speakers isn't really that loud. We've become so used to high wattage 100db sensitivity speakers in one and two 12" enclosures that I think we tend to forget.
I've recently gone back to quads after years of 2 x 12 use and am confused as to why I ever stopped using them in the first place ( other than absence of roadies )
That's interesting - i have a celestion something or other in my combo which is an extremely high sensitivity speaker, it's outrageously loud. Quad might be quite useable in that case. That being said our show on the weekend we had to really turn down as the room had a crazy bright reverb. Our poor sound guy had a tough night.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Slash autobiography turned up a few days ago, am about 2/3 of the way through it. Truly engrossing!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

rickenbackerkid wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:
haha. i might just become that asshole with the 4x12. or I might not like it and sell it on
A quad with low sensitivity speakers isn't really that loud. We've become so used to high wattage 100db sensitivity speakers in one and two 12" enclosures that I think we tend to forget.
I've recently gone back to quads after years of 2 x 12 use and am confused as to why I ever stopped using them in the first place ( other than absence of roadies )
That's interesting - i have a celestion something or other in my combo which is an extremely high sensitivity speaker, it's outrageously loud. Quad might be quite useable in that case. That being said our show on the weekend we had to really turn down as the room had a crazy bright reverb. Our poor sound guy had a tough night.
The standard quad speaker a G12T 75 is 97 db. They're ok for hard rock and metal but a bit scooped overall. Heritage G12 65's are more pleasing and also rate at 97db ( mix well with greenbacks ) as are the later Creamback M 65's and of course the good old Greenback M at 98db.
You can also disconnect two speakers and get the effect of the cab with less sound out.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I almost wonder if the GT75 might suit my rig, as my pro junior/rickenbacker combo is very midrange forward at the moment.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

A 2x12 is way too loud for my bedroom, even if I had the space for it :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Dharmajester wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
The standard quad speaker a G12T 75 is 97 db. They're ok for hard rock and metal but a bit scooped overall. Heritage G12 65's are more pleasing and also rate at 97db ( mix well with greenbacks ) as are the later Creamback M 65's and of course the good old Greenback M at 98db.
You can also disconnect two speakers and get the effect of the cab with less sound out.
I personally recommend G12T and Greenbacks every time, they mix extremely well
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote: I personally recommend G12T and Greenbacks every time, they mix extremely well
They do indeed. My current favorite combination is Greenback with Heritage H30 55hz.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Arrived today - Boss Katana. I've had a few moments recently where my guitar rig is buried in pile of gear or a van or rehearsal space, so I figured it would be nice to have a second amp that doesn't move. and with FX and an aux in and an acoustic mode, I can play at home and rehearse. Also I can play with stereo AND have a backup rig. So far - clean sound and FX are great. Distortions are awful and unusable ;-p

Shortly in the mail: Eastwood 12 string courtesy of Slowy. Quite excited, I've only wanted a 12 string for about 10 years.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

rickenbackerkid wrote:Arrived today - Boss Katana. I've had a few moments recently where my guitar rig is buried in pile of gear or a van or rehearsal space, so I figured it would be nice to have a second amp that doesn't move. and with FX and an aux in and an acoustic mode, I can play at home and rehearse. Also I can play with stereo AND have a backup rig. So far - clean sound and FX are great. Distortions are awful and unusable ;-p

Shortly in the mail: Eastwood 12 string courtesy of Slowy. Quite excited, I've only wanted a 12 string for about 10 years.
What KOC model?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Oh, it’s a BBC. Noice one too.

50watt Mk1

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

rickenbackerkid wrote:Arrived today - Boss Katana. I've had a few moments recently where my guitar rig is buried in pile of gear or a van or rehearsal space, so I figured it would be nice to have a second amp that doesn't move. and with FX and an aux in and an acoustic mode, I can play at home and rehearse. Also I can play with stereo AND have a backup rig. So far - clean sound and FX are great. Distortions are awful and unusable ;-p

The drive sounds are my favourite thing about Katanas!! What kind of sound are you trying to get, maybe we can help? :)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I only ever use the clean channel on my 50w. A bit of gain but most dirt is coming from pedals. I feel like I'm wasting it's potential since I dialled it in ages ago and haven't bothered playing with settings since. Just sounds good as is!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

My suggestion is to update to the latest firmware, install the tone studio and try some of the presets you can get from boss tone central :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

My issue with the Katana dirt is that i cant stack as well as i can with pedals. Have been using Danish Pete's crunch tones with my Orion and Judge together to get me to a happy place.
In saying that i have been using some of the preset metal tones with no issues. Really depends on my mood i guess.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Just arrived! Looking forward to making some distinctly non-guitar sounds this weekend!
20191122_085939.jpg
20191122_085939.jpg (328.79 KiB) Viewed 2672 times