Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7307
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Upper Hutt The Brave
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 147 times
Contact:

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Vince »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am Maybe a chemical cleaner of some sort would work.
Worth thinking about. A set of strings can cost about $80 so it's a fair whack every time. I'm just glad I don't play double bass, they cost hundreds.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 21818
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2580 times
Been liked: 3107 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Molly »

Vince wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am
Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am Maybe a chemical cleaner of some sort would work.
Worth thinking about. A set of strings can cost about $80 so it's a fair whack every time. I'm just glad I don't play double bass, they cost hundreds.
That Clearasil stuff kids use to clean-out their pores (for acne) maybe. Wouldn't want to get it on the finish but worth a shot.

Or take up guitar... ;-)

User avatar
Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7307
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Upper Hutt The Brave
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 147 times
Contact:

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Vince »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:35 am Or take up guitar... ;-)
... yes, or take up guitar. :lol:

I've actually been thinking of dusting off the baritone as it has the same scale length as a bass. But the strings feel so fiddly!
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

User avatar
jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2851
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 610 times
Been liked: 286 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by jimi »

Took the strings off my bass to give it a clean a couple of weeks ago. Got these strings in 2005, so still plenty of life in them, but them back on afterwards.

How often are you changing bass strings? This really doesn't make sense to me!

yoggo
Greg Bennet
Greg Bennet
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:34 pm
Location: chch
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by yoggo »

Vince wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am
Molly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am Maybe a chemical cleaner of some sort would work.
Worth thinking about. A set of strings can cost about $80 so it's a fair whack every time. I'm just glad I don't play double bass, they cost hundreds.
I don’t think my double bass strings have ever been changed, and it’s getting on for 40… I hope to never change them, because I’d have to do a bunch of research for something that I’d never have to repeat (plus at $300+ I wouldn’t want to change my mind after 6 months).

User avatar
bender
Darth Fader
Posts: 10662
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Dorkland
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 865 times
Contact:

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by bender »

jimi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:15 pm Took the strings off my bass to give it a clean a couple of weeks ago. Got these strings in 2005, so still plenty of life in them, but them back on afterwards.

How often are you changing bass strings? This really doesn't make sense to me!
Have you heard Vince? His style definitely suits/needs the brightness of new strings.

User avatar
Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7307
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Upper Hutt The Brave
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 147 times
Contact:

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Vince »

jimi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:15 pm Took the strings off my bass to give it a clean a couple of weeks ago. Got these strings in 2005, so still plenty of life in them, but them back on afterwards.

How often are you changing bass strings? This really doesn't make sense to me!
I go through a set of Elixirs in about six months, a set of garden variety PBs in about three months. What I do is pretty guitarlike so I need that clean sound. https://vincecabrera.bandcamp.com/releases

My fretless OTOH has a a set of GHS Brite Flats and yeah, those can stay on forever as far as I'm concerned.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Post Reply