That's a Nik Huber.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by HackSaw »

Strymon Deco, is there anything else that does a tape saturation type thing?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

HackSaw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 am Strymon Deco, is there anything else that does a tape saturation type thing?
Wampler Faux Tape Echo. I have one that’s in the “to sell” box…
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

HackSaw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 am Strymon Deco, is there anything else that does a tape saturation type thing?
Volante, if you have the board real estate. Phenomenal pedal and the SOS function is just fun for days.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

IMOCD wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:55 am
Volante, if you have the board real estate. Phenomenal pedal and the SOS function is just fun for days.
Best sounding delay I've heard.

If you don't mind mucking around in computer menus, Source Audio Nemesis is completely customizable.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

MattAnt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:54 am
JoeBlow wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm sozv9pdra6q69njyocux.jpg
Beauty, what’s the brand?
Krautster ll is the model. As Molly said, very spendy.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:59 pm
JoeBlow wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 pm sozv9pdra6q69njyocux.jpg
there's one (that I know of) in NZ. A bloke in the North Shore was selling it last year on TM and eventually he changed his mind to keep it

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

In my opinion, used in front of an amp, it couldn't be considered 'Tape Saturation' The sound of Tape Saturation as we know it on guitar is after the amp and mic when it was recorded. So I prefer to think of the Deco as yet another transparent overdrive - possibly the best one I've ever used. After an amp I'm sure it's superb. Very nice on a DI acoustic too.

JoeBlow
Gibson

Post by JoeBlow »

KNNZ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:57 pm
JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:59 pm

there's one (that I know of) in NZ. A bloke in the North Shore was selling it last year on TM and eventually he changed his mind to keep it
Ah OK. I'd like one with a Spanish Cedar body. Korina is also an option on the spec list.

Playing it through something like an HC30 or FTR37 would also be nice.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 pm
In my opinion, used in front of an amp, it couldn't be considered 'Tape Saturation' The sound of Tape Saturation as we know it on guitar is after the amp and mic when it was recorded. So I prefer to think of the Deco as yet another transparent overdrive - possibly the best one I've ever used. After an amp I'm sure it's superb. Very nice on a DI acoustic too.
Cool thanks! I should probably clarify where I’m coming from as why I’m asking might not translate to real amps. On the axe Fx I use mainly blackface, and plexi amp presets, occasionally branching out to experiment. But regardless of the amp, I always default to the “tape distortion” block as a drive. Based on tape saturation, I’m guessing maybe last in chain before output would give that sound you’re saying we know. But I just love the sound of it as a drive. So on that basis, was thinking, is there a pedal that does that for my real amps? The deco was all I could see, maybe the epoch boost from Catalinbread? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just need a good OD?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

HackSaw wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 pm
Cool thanks! I should probably clarify where I’m coming from as why I’m asking might not translate to real amps. On the axe Fx I use mainly blackface, and plexi amp presets, occasionally branching out to experiment. But regardless of the amp, I always default to the “tape distortion” block as a drive. Based on tape saturation, I’m guessing maybe last in chain before output would give that sound you’re saying we know. But I just love the sound of it as a drive. So on that basis, was thinking, is there a pedal that does that for my real amps? The deco was all I could see, maybe the epoch boost from Catalinbread? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just need a good OD?
I'm curious... what is this sound? What exactly makes it so good? Can anyone point me to some examples?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

There’s this I guess…

https://youtu.be/hrvpN242t7Y

I don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for until I “feel it” I guess? I’m no good at describing these things. All I’m coming from is that tape block is what I default to on the axe fx, but might just have to try a few things in case I’m thinking about it the wrong way!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

HackSaw wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am There’s this I guess…

https://youtu.be/hrvpN242t7Y

I don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for until I “feel it” I guess? I’m no good at describing these things. All I’m coming from is that tape block is what I default to on the axe fx, but might just have to try a few things in case I’m thinking about it the wrong way!
Ooooh... Kemper's tape delay apparently has a Grit control for tape saturation and distortion! Can't say I've noticed it before. Will give that a whirl.

https://youtu.be/-to4EaaN5bc?t=163

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

HackSaw wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am But I just love the sound of it as a drive. So on that basis, was thinking, is there a pedal that does that for my real amps? The deco was all I could see, maybe the epoch boost from Catalinbread? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just need a good OD?
Just get the Deco - the overdrive is unique and most excellent. Has LPF and HPF controls too.

JoeBlow
Gibson

Post by JoeBlow »

Custom 24 w/piezo. The versatility is winning me over.
Screenshot_20210926-110920_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210926-110920_Chrome.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 1193 times