Gibson Falcon amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Gibson Falcon amps

Post by codedog »

What do y'all think of these amps? What little I heard from bits of these didn't give me GAS. Haven't checked the prices but, if they're comparable, I'd be leaning more towards Supro.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: Gibson Falcon amps

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Very blatty and farty sounding to me $1799 US for the larger one.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

At that price I'd go for a Supro Amulet.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I guess NZ dollars for the 20w 12" one would be in early 3k through the Rockshop if they decide to bring it in.
Up against Fender and Supro that's a big ask.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I reckon these have been resurrected almost singlehandedly by Skip Simmons (from TAVA). Great Podcast BTW.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

I love these on paper. Randall Smith's efforts in reimagining vintage tones with modern versatility lead to two fantastic amps: the California Tweed and Filmore. Those Jensen Blackbirds are great speakers, too. I actually think the 20W might be a (relative) value proposition compared to what's being offered by Fender, Tone King or the like. Agree that Supro might be a competitor.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I consider Supro the transition between the high end mainstream, and the boot-eek. Their build quality is outstanding, and they sound uniquely Supro. I wonder how these stack in that quality sense.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

That falcon 20 sounds awesome in the intro bit, later playing they both sound pants to me :-(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:40 pm That falcon 20 sounds awesome in the intro bit, later playing they both sound pants to me :-(
I was largely underwhelmed by the Filmore in every video I watched. Immediately fell in love when I played one in the flesh. Now (mostly) own one.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:36 pm I consider Supro the transition between the high end mainstream, and the boot-eek. Their build quality is outstanding, and they sound uniquely Supro. I wonder how these stack in that quality sense.
That's so strange, I'd consider them to be squarely in the middle of the tube amp market. Higher end than a DSL20 or Pro Jr, but not at the Boogie or Marshall HW realm of high-end mainstream. Don't know if that's just me placing things arbitrarily in my own mind though.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:28 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:36 pm I consider Supro the transition between the high end mainstream, and the boot-eek. Their build quality is outstanding, and they sound uniquely Supro. I wonder how these stack in that quality sense.
That's so strange, I'd consider them to be squarely in the middle of the tube amp market. Higher end than a DSL20 or Pro Jr, but not at the Boogie or Marshall HW realm of high-end mainstream. Don't know if that's just me placing things arbitrarily in my own mind though.
I think that's normal, and the price is probably there also. Cabinet made in the USA to exceedingly high standards, super thick PCB hand wired (in NY still, I think?), trannies are over-spec'd. I'd say at least the HW Marsall end of things in terms of overall, but higher in terms of component quality (Marshall HW have a history of tranny failures, dicey inout jacks made of plastic etc etc)...Supro, nah.

Conway (or friend) has my old 1605R - a spectacular amp, and a great example of why their build is > than most in that range. IMO.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:45 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:28 pm
I think that's normal, and the price is probably there also. Cabinet made in the USA to exceedingly high standards, super thick PCB hand wired (in NY still, I think?), trannies are over-spec'd. I'd say at least the HW Marsall end of things in terms of overall, but higher in terms of component quality (Marshall HW have a history of tranny failures, dicey inout jacks made of plastic etc etc)...Supro, nah.

Conway (or friend) has my old 1605R - a spectacular amp, and a great example of why their build is > than most in that range. IMO.
Have to agree with Grant here , tho im biassed (hot)
These definitely have a higher end feel, and a unique (but pleasing) voice.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I should clarify - i’m talking about the blue or grey rhino tolex amps made in the USA. Supro do you have more budget ranges of course.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:27 am I should clarify - i’m talking about the blue or grey rhino tolex amps made in the USA. Supro do you have more budget ranges of course.
I have the day off today, and mostly sorting out shipping for art stuff. I might take apart the supro and do a bit of a deeper dive on my NAD thread

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Wow... that does nothing for me... probably a tad less than nothing.