Any amp techs with experience on an Orange AD30?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Re: Any amp techs with experience on an Orange AD30?

Post by Reg18 »

Now that I’m a little hyper sensitive and looking for issues I noticed there is a slight volume rise and fall in certain settings, it’s hard to capture but almost like a slight tremolo volume up/down type effect. Never notice it with gain up but on cleaner settings it is there…..slightly.
Normal?

https://youtu.be/MXcghmCBhb0?si=3lcuBh4vCI71BvER

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

It must be cursed!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:15 pm Now that I’m a little hyper sensitive and looking for issues I noticed there is a slight volume rise and fall in certain settings, it’s hard to capture but almost like a slight tremolo volume up/down type effect. Never notice it with gain up but on cleaner settings it is there…..slightly.
Normal?

Do you have the tremolo on?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:15 pm Now that I’m a little hyper sensitive and looking for issues I noticed there is a slight volume rise and fall in certain settings, it’s hard to capture but almost like a slight tremolo volume up/down type effect. Never notice it with gain up but on cleaner settings it is there…..slightly.
Normal?

Could be due to the same problem as the noise. Dirty or loose contacts can cause fluctuations like that. Try a q-tip soaked in isopropanol in the input jack. Might be worth cleaning the tube sockets too, if you can reach them.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:19 am
Normal?

Could be due to the same problem as the noise. Dirty or loose contacts can cause fluctuations like that. Try a q-tip soaked in isopropanol in the input jack. Might be worth cleaning the tube sockets too, if you can reach them.
I’ve got crc contact cleaner and ISO cleaner too, so best would be ISO for this?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 am
Normal?

I’ve got crc contact cleaner and ISO cleaner too, so best would be ISO for this?
I think a lot of amp techs don't like contact cleaners as some don't fully evaporate and leave a greasy residue, I'm not sure if the CRC one is one of those though... ISO is always a safe bet :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Some contact cleaning spray has a titch of lube - that's what you use (say) to clean a POT. Other's have just use a fully evaporating solvent (I have both). ISO is good too.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Normal?

Think we are closing in on the issue, used ISO sprayed into tube sockets (pushing tubes in and out a few times) and on cue tip to go into input jack. Testing again I can at least replicate the issue, 2 tube sockets seem to be an issue but the input jack seems to be connected too. Wiggling one of these tubes I can cause the same issue, but twisting the input jack takes it away again. See video.
Does it just require more cleaning of the tube socket?
https://youtube.com/shorts/t9SUOxoziho? ... N2LzchV-rJ

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Id focus on that one tube socket. Could just be residual CRC in there that needs evaporating or perhaps the tube pins or socket is especially corroded and needs more cleaning. For tube pins you can push them in & out of some steel wool to remove stubborn corrosion. If none of this fixes the problem you get when you wiggle the tube then you may have a cold or broken solder joint on the socket connections - resoldering them would then be the answer.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:29 am Id focus on that one tube socket. Could just be residual CRC in there that needs evaporating or perhaps the tube pins or socket is especially corroded and needs more cleaning. For tube pins you can push them in & out of some steel wool to remove stubborn corrosion. If none of this fixes the problem you get when you wiggle the tube then you may have a cold or broken solder joint on the socket connections - resoldering them would then be the answer.
Thanks for all the info, I’ve just gone in and cleaned again and I can’t get any weird noises when wiggling the tubes now. Is it still worth resoldering tube sockets do you think?

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

If wiggling doesn’t cause any more problems then i wouldn’t worry about re-soldering. Give it a good test before you put the chassis back in, though.