Oops!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Oops!

Post by jeremyb »

Do preamp tubes get hot enough that oil or other residue on the glass could cause it to shatter like can happen with certain types of incandescent lamps?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

The only preamps I can think of that get hot are reverb drivers, pentodes and maybe cathode followers. None of these would be V1 though. Normal preamp gain stages get warm, but never hot to touch and certainly not instantly at switch-on. Maybe that valve just had a horrible short…?

I’d put the original back in and try it out, unless you’re comfortable testing the socket with a voltmeter while switched on. The voltages of the empty socket would tell you if the circuit has a problem.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Back to the top of the hill, put the wheel back on and release the handbrake. See if the wheel falls off again, thats what software devs do.

If it breaks first time, just rerun it. Repeatedly.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 pm Do preamp tubes get hot enough that oil or other residue on the glass could cause it to shatter like can happen with certain types of incandescent lamps?
Halogens. Must use gloves when handling. Finger smegma is enough to cause instant destruction in use.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 pm Do preamp tubes get hot enough that oil or other residue on the glass could cause it to shatter like can happen with certain types of incandescent lamps?
No
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Might have to wait till tomorrow now. Just came back from an impulsive bike ride where I energetically burned off all the carbs my cold beer is about to deposit in me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:28 pm
clubhouse wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am Dunno the specifics of the amp involved but a 6DZ7 is a twin power pentode. The incorporation of two pentode sections in one envelope makes it especially suitable for compact stereo systems. It’s essentially electrically equivalent to two EL84s in a single glass envelope…check substitution validation for the 6L6(G/GT/GB/GC/STR?) beam tetrode power valve.

Didn't even know there were twin pentode, single package valve types! I know of ECL types (triode/pentode combos) but twin pentodes...wow!

If it’s handling the 6DZ7 as a sub, it sounds like a cool as hell build…tres curious…care to share anymore about it, please? Is it substantially louder, compressed or quicker to break-up with a 6DZ7 than a 6L6? Do you change speaker loads to accomodate?
6L6, it sounds Blackface Fenderish with a bit more midrange; pretty tolerant and easy going.
6DZ7s give it much quicker transients. It seems more insistent, less inclined to compromise, snappier.
So more headroom before compression with the 6DZ7? Sounds cool. :thumbup: What's your speaker of preference with this?

I have a Tunsten Amps Crema Wheat which is a tweed deluxe clone variant in that it is a 5E3 circuit (at heart) that can use 6V6 GTs with a 5U4G rectifier or 6L6 GC/5881s with a GZ34 rectifier. Does a similar thing to yours. With the 6L6 types it holds together at far greater volume push than with the 6V6 types...but all still mids forward compared to BF.
Last edited by clubhouse on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:53 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:28 pm
clubhouse wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am Dunno the specifics of the amp involved but a 6DZ7 is a twin power pentode. The incorporation of two pentode sections in one envelope makes it especially suitable for compact stereo systems. It’s essentially electrically equivalent to two EL84s in a single glass envelope…check substitution validation for the 6L6(G/GT/GB/GC/STR?) beam tetrode power valve.

Didn't even know there were twin pentode, single package valve types! I know of ECL types (triode/pentode combos) but twin pentodes...wow!

If it’s handling the 6DZ7 as a sub, it sounds like a cool as hell build…tres curious…care to share anymore about it, please? Is it substantially louder, compressed or quicker to break-up with a 6DZ7 than a 6L6? Do you change speaker loads to accomodate?
6L6, it sounds Blackface Fenderish with a bit more midrange; pretty tolerant and easy going.
6DZ7s give it much quicker transients. It seems more insistent, less inclined to compromise, snappier.
So more headroom before compression with the 6DZ7? Sounds cool. :thumbup:

I have a Tunsten Amps Crema Wheat which is a tweed deluxe clone variant in that it is a 5E3 circuit (at heart) that can use 6V6 GTs with a 5U4G rectifier or 6L6 GC/5881s with a GZ34 rectifier. Does a similar thing to yours. With the 6L6 types it holds together at far greater volume push than with the 6V6 types...but still mids forward compared to BF.
Crema Wheat has a great reputation. I'd love to play one sometime. 8)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.