8ohm head into 16ohm attenuator into 16ohm cab. Bad idea?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

8ohm head into 16ohm attenuator into 16ohm cab. Bad idea?

Post by Reg18 »

I have a trade offer of a Captor X 16ohm attenuator.
I currently have a 8ohm Bandmaster head, a JTM45 clone which can be 4/8/16
A 2x12 cab which is 16ohm and a 4x12 which is 16ohm.
My question is can I run the Bandmaster 8ohm head into a 16ohm attenuator into a 16ohm cab?
I currently have a THD 8ohm attenuator which gets used with both heads set to 8ohm going into 16ohm cabs, are there any issues there?
Considering changing from the THD to the Captor X

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Re: 8ohm head into 16ohm attenuator into 16ohm cab. Bad idea?

Post by robthemac »

Should be fine, right? Amps don't mind seeing a bit higher resistance, especially if it's just one step up.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I'd say one step away isn't one step beyond.... but if it all goes tits up, then I'll claim plausible deniability.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

If the Fender is an old one, it will be OK 100% mismatched into a cab. Attenuators...nah. They need to match the amp. You could still mismatch the speaker into the attenuator by 100% (maybe....), but yeah, amps and attenuators are best matched. So your current setup is correct.

Marshall, I don't know sorry...except the statement about attenuator matching amp...still true.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Ideally you should match the impedance from the amp, to the attenuator, and the speaker cabinet. For example, I have a 16 ohm Hot Plate that is connected to the 16 ohm output from my amp and then to the 16 ohm input of my 4x12.

This is from the Hot Plate manual if it helps:

Q. If I am using just one speaker cabinet, can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my speaker cabinet?

A. ONLY if the impedance of the speakers is equal to or greater than the amplifier, AND the impedance of the are Hot Plate is equal to or greater than the amp. Again, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls.

I don't know if that helps or has justed muddy the waters even more? Might be worth asking the manufacturer directly.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Captor manual says match the amp to the attenuator, but the speaker can be a mismatch.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Post by Reg18 »

GrantB wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:35 pm If the Fender is an old one, it will be OK 100% mismatched into a cab. Attenuators...nah. They need to match the amp. You could still mismatch the speaker into the attenuator by 100% (maybe....), but yeah, amps and attenuators are best matched. So your current setup is correct.

Marshall, I don't know sorry...except the statement about attenuator matching amp...still true.
Good info, so 8ohm head into 16ohm attenuator not a good idea. That’s pretty much what I needed to know.