IK Multimedia ToneX

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: IK Multimedia ToneX

Post by AiRdAd »

how is everyone getting on with te ToneX?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Love him or hate him this is an interesting comparison, and like with any real amp, modeller, or profiler, in the mix you can't tell the difference, so why do we care so much?

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Absolutely no surprises there. Tone is no longer a differentiator.

Feel wise, I still prefer my kemper. Is that because it has conditioned the feel I like after 10 years? Maybe.

The tonex still has a way to go before I would see it as a kemper replacer - but the reasons are not to do with tone.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Oh and to be clear: yes I do own and use both

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I would be happy if I stuck to my Zoom G3n for the next decade. Tone is diminishing-returns arms race for me right now. I'm happy that more and more amazing modeler tech is affordable but the YouTube hype machine can get suffocating.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I've got a ToneX Pedal coming in the mail, will report back soon. I've always been more interested in modelling than profiling but this is at such a competitive price point that it's just too attractive not to give it a go.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Got it this afternoon.

After spending a few hours with it, some quick thoughts:

You get 150 stock captures... Which are all pretty average to my ears.

I bought Michael Nielsen's Marshall and ADA packs and... There it is. Just goes to show exactly why I waited until a capture player was available instead of a fully fledged profiling hardware - anyone can simply put up a profile but you really want someone with great gear and know how to do it for you.

The downside is the user interface and workflow of getting stuff off the ToneNet is just absolutely F*CKED.

I thought I'd broken my brain and was somehow too dumb to figure it out, but it's just this weird mess off going back and forth between the website and app interface, and then having to edit stuff on the pedal as well because the app isn't actually an editor per se, just a librarian.

It is absolute hair tearing nonsense.

But for my purposes, I've found three gig worthy sounds - clean, crunch, lead - and now I'm pretty much done, just need to adjust levels during rehearsal.

It's a fantastic tool but if you're looking to do a lot of exploring and editing and tweaking just be prepared for some UI gymnastics.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

slash-ed wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:55 pm Got it this afternoon.

I bought Michael Nielsen's Marshall and ADA packs and... There it is. Just goes to show exactly why I waited until a capture player was available instead of a fully fledged profiling hardware - anyone can simply put up a profile but you really want someone with great gear and know how to do it for you.

The downside is the user interface and workflow of getting stuff off the ToneNet is just absolutely F*CKED.

I thought I'd broken my brain and was somehow too dumb to figure it out, but it's just this weird mess off going back and forth between the website and app interface, and then having to edit stuff on the pedal as well because the app isn't actually an editor per se, just a librarian.

But for my purposes, I've found three gig worthy sounds - clean, crunch, lead - and now I'm pretty much done, just need to adjust levels during rehearsal.

It's a fantastic tool but if you're looking to do a lot of exploring and editing and tweaking just be prepared for some UI gymnastics.
Cheers for the perspective Ed
I agree with the Michael Neilson stuff. Basically all I use with the Kemper. His captures are the best for the amps I like imo

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This is not helping my GAS for one. What are you using for amplification with it Ed?

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

100% my personal observations too

I’ve not tried Nielson’s packs… I’ve used tone junkie for my kemper profiles but might check them out

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I should add… I remember kemper having similar issues when I got it in 2013, so I assume IKM will make the interface and workflow better in time

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:30 am

This is not helping my GAS for one. What are you using for amplification with it Ed?
So far just headphones. Planning to just go straight to PA, the band I'm gigging in is currently doing mostly bar gigs where there's no space for big amps so this will be perfect. Last gig I took an EVH half stack and it took up like a third of the stage lmao

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:45 pm I should add… I remember kemper having similar issues when I got it in 2013, so I assume IKM will make the interface and workflow better in time
Haha yeah but with the benefit of a decade of seeing the evolution of Kemper you'd think they could have gone to market with something just a little less... broken

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

I had a play with the ToneX desktop software today. Took me a while to wade through a ton of meh profiles, but one I started bypassing the cabs and using my own IR I started liking it a lot more for instant gratification. I have to say apart from the sounds which are really good, it cleans up and feels a lot like a real amp and cab mic’d up on studio monitors.

Really tempted to get the pedal, but before I do I think I’m gonna make some captures of my own amps and compare directly.