IK Multimedia ToneX

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Re: IK Multimedia ToneX

Post by AiRdAd »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:12 pm If buying second hand then I believe there’s a bunch of issues. Like IK only allows one transfer ever so you’ll not be able to sell it. And if the seller doesn’t do the transfer right then you are also screwed.

I don’t know the full details as I bought mine new direct from IK but I’ve seen grief and grievances on the forums.
thanks for the heads up on that one. I might register it with a generic email address so that I can give that away with the unit if I sell it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

AiRdAd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:27 am
Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:12 pm If buying second hand then I believe there’s a bunch of issues. Like IK only allows one transfer ever so you’ll not be able to sell it. And if the seller doesn’t do the transfer right then you are also screwed.

I don’t know the full details as I bought mine new direct from IK but I’ve seen grief and grievances on the forums.
thanks for the heads up on that one. I might register it with a generic email address so that I can give that away with the unit if I sell it.
Smart.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

robthemac wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:41 am

Smart.
not that i ever sell gear!!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

AiRdAd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:33 am
robthemac wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:41 am

Smart.
not that i ever sell gear!!!! :-)
None of us ever do.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I've been loving my Tonex Pedal so far. It certainly sounds better than my previous Zoom G3n + IR Loader pedal setup I've had before. It comes with a copy of Tonex MAX and it's been a blast trying out lots of different profiles available for free on ToneNet.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by redgierocker »

I've got one of these on the way from Amazon; managed to snag it at almost half of what it's priced at in NZ.
Seems like there's a general sentiment with most of these kinds of things that the stock stuff is not great - what are people finding with the Tonex?
And who does captures that are considered worth paying for?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’m just looking into this myself,so will be interested to see what people are using. I’ve only downloaded a couple of free ones from Tone Junkie so far and both were better than the stock sounds. 66 Vox and 65 Deluxe reverb. I guess it depends of your looking for clean amps though.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

Yeah - I guess I was going to run through some of the top rated ones and hopefully they are decent.
I'll try the stock ones first of course; the main reason I got this thing is to move away from the constant menu diving and tone quest I've got into in the helix space and just settle on a couple of good amps/cabs and be done with it.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Vendors that make really good captures upload a lot of free ones on ToneNet.

Amalgam Audio (search keyword 'amalgam'), Jason Sadites (search 'JS'), The Studio Rats (search 'TSR') and ToneJunkies (search 'TJ') are a few of these vendors in my experience.

Pair them with some really nice cabs from York Audio or Ownhammer and you're good to go.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

Okay awesome thanks for the tips.
I have the york audio cabs, I've tried them with the pod go and I couldn't really get them to sound better than the stock cabs.
Will be interested to see if they are better on the tonex.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I just used the Tone X live for the first time this weekend and was pretty happy with how it went. Used a TJ Vox capture, I was certain I’d use the Deluxe reverb one but after sound checking it just didn’t cut enough so switched to the Vox.
Question for those using IRs, you would need just the amp capture not the cab to use an IR correct? I think every capture I’ve downloaded so far is a full amp and cab capture so it would be like adding another cab on a cab? Correct?

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

From what I've read, that's correct. You either use an IR, or a cab. Not both.
Using both would be like taking the output from one cabinet and piping it into another cab...

Hollow
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Hollow »

Anyone used the SE cut down version of ToneX?

I'm looking at getting a new IK Multimedia AXE audio interface that comes with ToneX SE and Amplitube SE but I can't find much info on how cut down the software is from the full versions.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

You get much more amp captures and IRs from IK Multimedia with Tonex Max that you don't get from Tonex SE. But you can still create unlimited captures yourself and have unlimited downloads from ToneNet for free and paid amp captures.

Basically for Tonex Max you're just getting more presets. A lot more presets.

If I had the choice, I would just get Tonex SE but Tonex MAX came included with my Tonex pedal.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

I got the tonex - it's pretty awesome!
Definitely liking some of the tone models; the "Overdrive Special" is based on a Dumble and it sounds fantastic.

I find the software so confusing to use though. Just editing a preset to add reverb is quite an ordeal. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Here's what I'm doing:
- find the preset on the pedal in the Librarian view
- copy it to my local library
- click "Home" then add reverb (or make whatever other changes)
- click the very obscure, and hard to find "save" icon next to the preset. Click save -> okay
- go back to the librarian
- change the "Tone models browser" selection back to Presets
- drag the tone model back to the pedal...

Surely this isn't the right way to do it?

I realise I can edit on the pedal, but I couldn't figure out how to change the reverb type on the pedal.