Mongrel cab

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 55 times

Mongrel cab

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

Recently acquired a pretty mongrel quad in a Trademe deal
First time with a 4x12 having run single 12 cabs since forever
Ideally would have a nice vertical 2x12 but when the quad was only $100 bucks I couldn’t help myself
Arguable as to whether the speakers are an improvement but to my ear there is a discernible difference in projection

Cab is old carpeted most likely particle board an labelled G412S ….speakers have no labelling but stamped with serials that I’ve had no luck identifying currently wired 4ohm

Cleans sound pretty good….not a lot of low end but
I’m guessing it’s either old Laney, Rockit or possibly Crate
Attachments
0E7E6F46-AF6C-4620-B021-8E9695B87827.jpeg
0E7E6F46-AF6C-4620-B021-8E9695B87827.jpeg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 2016 times

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Mongrel cab

Post by The Scarecrow »

Sheriffdohboy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 am Recently acquired a pretty mongrel quad in a Trademe deal
Ideally would have a nice vertical 2x12 but when the quad was only $100 bucks I couldn’t help myself
Arguable as to whether the speakers are an improvement but to my ear there is a discernible difference in projection

Cab is old carpeted most likely particle board an labelled G412S ….speakers have no labelling but stamped with serials that I’ve had no luck identifying currently wired 4ohm

Could be a Crate, I used something similar about 20 years ago which was also carpeted. Laney's low end cabs still had tolex. There were a lot of generic cheap quads around practise spaces/venues back in the late 90's/early 00's that I saw back when I was in my earliest bands.

Quad low-end doesn't really drop in until significant volume in my opinion. I've alternated between 1x12 and 4x12's the last few years and my preference tonally is always for the latter just because even the most basic quad will still have more projection and bass girth than a single 12 to my ears.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

The Scarecrow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 am
Sheriffdohboy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 am Recently acquired a pretty mongrel quad in a Trademe deal

Could be a Crate, I used something similar about 20 years ago which was also carpeted. Laney's low end cabs still had tolex. There were a lot of generic cheap quads around practise spaces/venues back in the late 90's/early 00's that I saw back when I was in my earliest bands.

Quad low-end doesn't really drop in until significant volume in my opinion. I've alternated between 1x12 and 4x12's the last few years and my preference tonally is always for the latter just because even the most basic quad will still have more projection and bass girth than a single 12 to my ears.

Yep totally agree,
I saw your post regarding the trade for a quad for your Mesa Cab.
Now that Mesa would have been right beast with my amp.
Hope you found the quad you were looking for

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Sheriffdohboy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:39 am

Yep totally agree,
I saw your post regarding the trade for a quad for your Mesa Cab.
Now that Mesa would have been right beast with my amp.
Hope you found the quad you were looking for
Yeah, that was a Recto 1x12 with a V30, which was great with smaller heads or on my Katana's 0.5w setting, but I needed more air pushed. Ended up selling with for an unexpectedly high price and acquired a replacement 1x12 with a Celestion 70-80 for home use and a Laney 4x12 to leave at the practice room. Probably a slight downgrade tonally, but the practicality aspect is to my liking.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Shit yeah I agree. I will keep lifting quads into venues until I'm dead. They just sound better.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

I've seen a Rockit cab that looked just like that back in the day. Cant remember what it sounded like though.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

griff wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:04 am
Shit yeah I agree. I will keep lifting quads into venues until I'm dead. They just sound better.
I'm thankful that the regular venue I play has backline of two worn/low-tier but decent-sounding Marshall cabs that still deliver. In testing out the new quad at practise the other night, I'm reminded of why I bought it to leave at the room long-term in terms of logistics too and from my car :lol:

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

The Scarecrow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm
I'm thankful that the regular venue I play has backline of two worn/low-tier but decent-sounding Marshall cabs that still deliver. In testing out the new quad at practise the other night, I'm reminded of why I bought it to leave at the room long-term in terms of logistics too and from my car :lol:
Dead Witch?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

griff wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:30 pm
The Scarecrow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm
Dead Witch?
Aye. They're a couple of MG-series quads that have probably been put through their paces, but I always manage to get a good sound out of the one on stage-left.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Yep I agree, they sound decent.