NMAD SV20H

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 364 times

Re: NMAD SV20H

Post by MiniForklift »

MikeC wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:44 am I recently built me a "Trinity Custom Plexi 6V6" which is based on a Marshall Superlead - but at a manageable 18-odd watts cathode biased. I also installed Global Power Scaling to further tame it. I've played it in a band mix and it has plenty of volume.
Head Cab Front.jpg
Head Cab Rear.jpgTrinity Custom Plexi Gutshot 2.jpg
Wow, props Mike. That thing looks fantastic :clap:
β€œπ‘πžπšπ₯𝐒𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 π₯𝐒𝐞𝐬 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ 𝐝𝐒𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 πžπ±π©πžπœπ­πšπ­π’π¨π§β€

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

FuzzMonkey wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:44 am :mad: saw
goldtop0 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:41 am Got Clarry to change the bright cap to 100pf and he changed the cathode resistor to 180R to ensure that KT66s can be used effectively(without any overheating and shortening their life).
The amp now sings rather than screeches when the High Treble channel is turned up.
I'm glad you've got the amp sounding more like you wanted.

Clarry described it as overkill with the 4.7nf resistor in the mix, so it had to go for a clearer and much less volatile response 8)
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

goldtop0 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:43 am
FuzzMonkey wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:44 am :mad: saw
goldtop0 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:41 am Got Clarry to change the bright cap to 100pf and he changed the cathode resistor to 180R to ensure that KT66s can be used effectively(without any overheating and shortening their life).
The amp now sings rather than screeches when the High Treble channel is turned up.
I'm glad you've got the amp sounding more like you wanted.

Clarry described it as overkill with the 4.7nf resistor in the mix, so it had to go for a clearer and much less volatile response 8)
It will act more like a switch than a pot with a 4.7nf bright cap.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

goldtop0 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:12 am
robthemac wrote: ↑Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:57 am Looks great. That piercing treble really smooths out at higher volumes, once the tubes start compressing. Otherwise you can go for a speaker with a little top-end roll-off. Creamback or similar.

Yep, will put a Gold in the cab and that'll add to the overall smoothing out for sure.
Love a Gold with the right amp but wouldn't entertain using one to reduce top end bite. Hell you can shave with those guys at a decent volume.
Try a Ruby, more mids detail and less hi top end. I bought one for my Astoria a ways back and works nicely ( also pairs well with a Gold )..
β€œThe music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Dharmajester wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:44 am
goldtop0 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:12 am
robthemac wrote: ↑Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:57 am Looks great. That piercing treble really smooths out at higher volumes, once the tubes start compressing. Otherwise you can go for a speaker with a little top-end roll-off. Creamback or similar.

Yep, will put a Gold in the cab and that'll add to the overall smoothing out for sure.
Love a Gold with the right amp but wouldn't entertain using one to reduce top end bite. Hell you can shave with those guys at a decent volume.
Try a Ruby, more mids detail and less hi top end. I bought one for my Astoria a ways back and works nicely ( also pairs well with a Gold )..

Appreciate your comment re 'top end bite', it was more to try to tame the then squealing amp prior to the resistor changes.
It does sound great in the SV112 cab, adds just a tad more headroom and takes a bit of the boxy sound away.
Am hunting a Ruby currently but don't want to buy new, prefer used when one pops up eventually, cheers.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.