Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Post by TmcB »

GrantB wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 pm For you peeps only...sloppy...but, you get the driven sound. No pedals etc. Some Reverb (3).

That is outrageous!
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 am
Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am .
May I ask what attracted you to a ToneMaster over other modelling options?
Honestly, I'm too lazy to learn new things or fiddle with settings. Once I find a good tone for an amp I tend to keep the settings untouched. Having an "old-fashioned combo amp" means I spend more time playing and less fiddling with an app.

I also own a Blues Cube for the same reasons.
After owning a couple of katanas I did seriously consider a blues cube, I like amps where you dial in the EQ and volume and you’re set for life!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:09 am
Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 am

May I ask what attracted you to a ToneMaster over other modelling options?
Honestly, I'm too lazy to learn new things or fiddle with settings. Once I find a good tone for an amp I tend to keep the settings untouched. Having an "old-fashioned combo amp" means I spend more time playing and less fiddling with an app.

I also own a Blues Cube for the same reasons.
Makes sense!
And there’s your market!

I think one of the often overlooked aspects of analog tech is that it’s a limited set of fixed variables with tactile control, which makes you interact with it differently and use your ears more. I guess that’s why there are more modelling options like Strymon Iridium and UA pedals out there now.

I find I do much better work when I have a control surface with a fixed EQ section controlling a Fabfilter EQ, than using the same plugin but only the GUI, for example.
5357430C-E437-4A55-866D-29CA113AACED.jpeg
5357430C-E437-4A55-866D-29CA113AACED.jpeg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 2180 times
Controls are in the same place every time- once I got used to the layout, I could make EQ changes without even looking. Sometimes I get a fright if I open the plug-in GUI and see a crazy EQ curve on my dialogue tracks but, if it sounds right, it IS right.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I can see the logic in a ToneMaster for people who only want one sound (e.g. DR or Princeton), or who want the sound (and look) of a classic Fender tube amp but without the weight of big transformers and the fickleness of tubes.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:48 am I can see the logic in a ToneMaster for people who only want one sound (e.g. DR or Princeton), or who want the sound (and look) of a classic Fender tube amp but without the weight of big transformers and the fickleness of tubes.
Or if they have a precious one that they don’t want to gig any more.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

bender wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:05 am I would 100% be interested in a Vibrolux or Twin. Deluxe Reverb has never been a great fit for me.
Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master $1 Res https://www.trademe.co.nz/3892487214
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

bender wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:48 am I can see the logic in a ToneMaster for people who only want one sound (e.g. DR or Princeton), or who want the sound (and look) of a classic Fender tube amp but without the weight of big transformers and the fickleness of tubes.
Or if they have a precious one that they don’t want to gig any more.
With the weight reduction and line out Fender seem to have made them with gigging musicians and backlines in mind. The amp behaves as you expect from past experience with a DR or Twin it just doesn't break your back getting it on stage.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:49 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:23 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm

And that man does not exist on this forum
Let's not be too hasty there
Sorry, he's afraid to speak up. Or she.
Not sure if that's trying to be inclusive, divisive, sexist or feminist.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

or they....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I've spent days in deep thought about the tonemasters and I've decided they're a silly thing.
There , I'd say that pretty much closes that all down.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm I've spent days in deep thought about the tonemasters and I've decided they're a silly thing.
Do, do you think Fender are....dare I say it....capitalising on their previous good work to profit by shifting the equity value to reputation, rather than actual current quality? :shifty:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

GrantB wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:27 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm I've spent days in deep thought about the tonemasters and I've decided they're a silly thing.
Do, do you think Fender are....dare I say it....capitalising on their previous good work to profit by shifting the equity value to reputation, rather than actual current quality? :shifty:
Nooo! How very dare you !

Oh hang on, yes that's pretty much exactly what I think.

I think you are paying up massively for an aesthetic here. You want the fender look and at first glance the new tech is a good idea . But really, as others have pointed out, it's no better than what other smaller cheaper modellers can do and it's a one trick pony.
I also note the two year warranty. My main beef with it is that there is a very real chance something will go wrong with your piece of $2800 fender tat outside of warranty that will render it pretty much disposable. Compare that to it's valve counterpart where you can service it reltively cheaply or even diy. Or if you really want to run modelling there are cheaper and less risky ways to do this with a smaller foot print set up. But then... You aren't getting your lively fender aesthetic to stare at and go mmmm look at that massive blonde....I bet she works out.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Regarding serviceability- there’s a lot less heat and voltage present in one of these than a valve amp, so they’re less likely to break down in the same kinds of ways. Hopefully they’ll just keep going like most SS and modelling gear, and won’t be plagued by issues.

Problems will likely need to be fixed by ordering and swapping an entire board (hopefully they’re modular).

As long as Fender keeps making the boards, and ships them promptly, servicing shouldn’t be a big deal. If they take ages to ship (which I would worry will be likely), that becomes a pain. If (more likely when) they stop making boards, it becomes unrepairable, and probably only good as cabinet once something breaks down. Those two things are true of all modellers though.

As for a cheaper modelling alternative of a similar standard- I guess you’d be looking at something like a UA Dream 65 ($799) and a FRFR speaker ($600 minimum maybe more like $1500), so I think that’s a totally fair point.

Personally speaking, I hate the options paralysis that comes with modellers. The simplicity of one that only has a limited number (or even just one done really well) is actually quite appealing.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Yeh, the one trick pony thing is probably the least , if st all, bothersome to me. But it would be to some.

I'm not sure heat is going to be the culprit with issues in an amp like the tone master. Just inevitable badness of overly complex systems. Doing a bit of reading there is a lot of stuff going on in there.

A 2 year warranty then having to pay for a new board potentially with shipping and a headachey installation just isn't appealing at all.

I think if these were priced as a mid range option rather than premium it might tip the balance.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:40 am
I'm not sure heat is going to be the culprit with issues in an amp like the tone master. Just inevitable badness of overly complex systems. Doing a bit of reading there is a lot of stuff going on in there.
Yeah, I just meant that it’s not going to be subjected to the kinds of stresses that valve amps are- there are loads of old SS and modelling amps still going strong that have never needed servicing.

100% agree about the pricing.